Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 751 Times in 364 Posts

Same source that claimed Wysocki to Innova last year is now saying Paige to Discraft
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 58
Niced 112 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac_21 View Post
DD let her out of her contract. They didn't HAVE to do that.

Very classy move.
Who will stick around if the reigning World Champion won't? What does it say about DD as a company?
Old 11-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Niced 22 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrihan View Post
Who will stick around if the reigning World Champion won't? What does it say about DD as a company?
Don't know on the first part, but I think the second part says that they're classy.

They didn't have to let Paige out of her 3 year deal, but they did. No matter how you feel about DD you have to admit that's a class move.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 137
Niced 249 Times in 108 Posts

Not sure that she'd move for a few thousand more, this seems like more than a sig line deal too. I hope that she'll also be able to produce her own line of discs, similar to PMB....talk about a huge move forward for the women's game

Old 11-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 387 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
They need a woman somewhere on that team just for Political Correctness sake.
So, you hate women. Noted.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

You guys forget she was Discraft sponsored before Prodigy...
Old 11-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 387 Times in 155 Posts

I agree with what she says in her video about DD supporting women’s golf but, on the other hand, no manufacturer has really gone all-in (or much in) on women’s golf. Discraft makes sense given ultimate foundation. I hope wherever she goes supports a major women’s push built around her and both she and them get rewarded.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 58
Niced 112 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Don't know on the first part, but I think the second part says that they're classy.

They didn't have to let Paige out of her 3 year deal, but they did. No matter how you feel about DD you have to admit that's a class move.
I agree that it was nice of them to let her go....but what is the alternative? Have her be publically upset at her sponsor? That's not good for sales. IMO it was in their best financial interest to let her go without a hickup, not classy or nice.

It just makes me wonder why they couldn't keep her. I wonder if they tried to offer her more? Just seems strange to let the best FPO player leave without trying to entice her to stay (maybe they tried enticing her). Sends the message, DD won't pay you, no matter who you are.

I could be waaaaaay off. Just a strange turn of events.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,580 Times in 935 Posts

Quote:

I'm not disputing that at all, but another factor is that back in the day the word on the street was that female disc golfers don't move product in the male-dominated disc golf world.

As much as we might want a female champion to carry the same marketing weight as a male champions, I think we all realize it's not the case. The rumor always was that the sales numbers on the Champ Valk tanked when they put Juliana Korver's signature on it; guys who didn't really know what they were doing (read: 99% of disc golfers) thought it was a "girl disc" and wouldn't buy it. Of course I have no proof of that, but it was the rumor at the time and came up again when Innova was reluctant to give Des Reading and Valerie Jenkins signature discs despite multiple World's wins.

So from a business perspective, having your brand tied to a female disc golfer might not be a good place to be.

If DD lets her go to Discraft or Innova where she won't be "THE" sponsored player (and Innova and Discraft sells more discs and can afford to pay her more) plus free up what DD is paying her to recruit male players who are better at moving product, you have a win-win. I'm not disputing at all that it was a very nice thing for DD to do and probably a very hard thing for them to do, but it might also help them business-wise.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 13
Niced 151 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
So, you hate women. Noted.
Yeah, that time I interned for Nation Organization of Women during college* really scarred me...or maybe I recognize that Discraft has no women on their Elite team and as someone who has done marketing in the past that is a recipe for disaster and chose to point that out in a tongue in cheek manner.

But good for you for jumping to conclusions. Your Call Out Culture membership packet will be in the mail.

*True story....my sister got me the position.