Old 04-17-2019, 05:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 581 Posts
Default PDGATOUR - Would you support this?

What if the PDGA took control of all the elite events, hired the best disc golf media crews, gave them long term contracts, etc, etc. All of the elite events had live coverage, guaranteed next day post coverage, etc, etc. No more diversity and potentially dividing the fan base by having to choose your favorite "media content provider". Perhaps the clear path has been here all along. They gobbled up UDisc, maybe it's time for the PDGA to step up and proclaim it's namesake as the unified central source for all things disc golf media?

Would the ams (who are probably the majority of the disc golf media viewing base) be upset if they knew a big portion of their membership was funding this? I surely wouldn't. Again..assuming we get guaranteed live coverage and next day footage of all the elite events.

If I was a betting man, I would bet the PDGA has been contemplating this. Let everyone else grow the sport, and then at some point announce they will be moving toward controlling all of the elite events. Right now PDGATOUR.com re-directs to the PDGA events page btw.

I would fully support it because I'm honestly a little fatigued from having to subscribe to multiple channels, pages, social accounts, to get my disc golf fix. I would prefer to just go to one source to get my pro disc golf coverage.

Would you support this? Would love to read more than just a yes | no response.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

I could be wrong, but all of the stuff with DGWT/DGPT was pursued due to a lack of pdga involvement. There were the NT events, but nothing that stood on its own as a viable season long tour.

And of course a privately funded tour means the potential for money to be made.

Pdga focus was on growing membership at the time. I do agree though, it would be much more streamlined to have it all in house. But that goes back to ye olde debate of who the pdga caters to, the ams or the pros?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,155 Times in 897 Posts

If the PDGA opts for major spending on a "top down" method of growing the game I will keep my membership dollars. (I have been a member for 20+ years, run roughly 75 PDGA events including several A tiers, served as Regional and State Coordinator for over a decade, etc, etc)

From what I can tell of the current BOD your scenario is very unlikely.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,838 Times in 1,583 Posts

What Biscoe said. The PDGA does not need to be pouring any more membership money (on a percentage basis) into the pro tour than they already are. And they won't be anytime soon.

You think that the amateur members of the org would be into that, and I think history suggests that is not the case. The idea of the PDGA investing more of its resources into a bigger pro tour has been floating around for 20+ years. There's a reason they haven't done more in that time...there really isn't the support for it among the majority of the membership.

I bring this up every time this idea gets floated (and others have too), but the PGA Tour was not created by the PGA. It was created by a player-driven initiative that was separate from the PGA itself. Essentially the pro players banded together union-style and hired people to run a tour for them. Eventually they partnered with the PGA but to this day, the PGA Tour is a separate entity from the PGA.

The DGPT (and the DGWT) origin story is fairly similar to the PGA Tour's. The biggest difference is that the disc golf tour(s) are driven largely by one person's vision rather than a collective desire but it's still a team of folks coming together (DGPT staff, TDs, PDGA staff, media crews) to create a functional tour capable of supporting full time players.

I think no matter who is doing the organizing and creating, we have to recognize that it is a HUGE undertaking that absolutely will not come together perfectly or instantly. No matter who's in charge, there will be growing pains and there will be glitches and screw-ups along the way. To expect perfect immediately is a fool's errand.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,155 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

The DGPT (and the DGWT) origin story is fairly similar to the PGA Tour's. The biggest difference is that the disc golf tour(s) are driven largely by one person's vision rather than a collective desire but it's still a team of folks coming together (DGPT staff, TDs, PDGA staff, media crews) to create a functional tour capable of supporting full time players.
The fundamental difference between the two was the PGA players concern was how to cut up a pie and the DGPT is attempting to bake one more or less from scratch.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,737 Times in 757 Posts

Could be the worst disc golf idea I have heard. As a 18+ year PDGA member, I have ZERO interest in supporting pro play, more than I already do. I am one of the people that think you are spending a lot of time bemoaning and trying to fix something that is not broken. The pro tour has never been in better shape, no more money has ever been played for, no more opportunity, on and off the course, has ever been more available for players and never have we, as fans, had all the options for watching disc golf. The state of the pro game need no attention or help. Steve Dodge has likely done more toward making this happen than anyone in the last few years....and will likely be the catalyst for continued growth. I do not want my PDGA money used to support any pro tour.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 360
Niced 736 Times in 257 Posts

I don't know why some folks on this board are hell bent on pushing their athlete worship fantasies and think somehow if they word it just right, those of us who have been at this awhile and know the reality of things are going to go along with it. Good grief.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 98 Times in 49 Posts

all this whining about membership fees going to waste, y'all are missing the bigger point.

if positioned effectively, a product like this could be a long-term cash cow for the PDGA, and the sport as a whole.

wake up, people. it's a simple yes.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,544 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
all this whining about membership fees going to waste, y'all are missing the bigger point.

if positioned effectively, a product like this could be a long-term cash cow for the PDGA, and the sport as a whole.

wake up, people. it's a simple yes.
If there was really money in it, someone would already be making it. Possibly Steve Dodge. He's certainly trying.

The PDGA had a lock on big events until, what, 3, 4 years ago? It was such a big success that.....others jumped into the void with competing/complimentary tours.

I want the PDGA to use its resources---our money---to grow the sport in many ways, including the pro tour itself. Media? I'll let those who care about it, pay for it.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,544 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I would fully support it because I'm honestly a little fatigued from having to subscribe to multiple channels, pages, social accounts, to get my disc golf fix. I would prefer to just go to one source to get my pro disc golf coverage.

Would you support this? Would love to read more than just a yes | no response.
Specifically, no, because I have zero interest in disc golf video, live or next-day.

Niced: (2)