Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Development

Old 06-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 271
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 171 Times in 74 Posts

I am spending my second summer in Maine, and the P2P model is the norm here. Many of the complexes have two or even three excellent quality, well-maintained courses. In my mind that is the first, second, and third priority. Having played in mixed-use parks all over the country, playing at a "disc golf-only" complex is fantastic. I think that decent restrooms on-site are a must, even if they are simply (clean and stocked) porta-potties.

After that assets like a pro shop with limited food and drinks are great add-ons. That's it for me.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,622 Times in 717 Posts

Can't really add much more to what's already been said.

To be honest, I wish there were pay to play courses around me! I'm sick of all the "less than desirable hackers". Yeah, that's right, I said it! You know what I'm talking about, the stoner, drunk, obnoxious, littering slobs.

Would love a few courses with multiple pins and tee pads, maybe a place to get a hot dog or something, I don't need much more than that. Just a nice disc golf experience.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,582 Times in 935 Posts

I live in the low-pay/low cost of living rural Midwest and the amount will depend on where you are located, but if there was a pay to play course around me with an annual fee in the $100 ballpark I'd pay that. There is a solid course here, but I'd skip it and pay to play a slightly better course with good upkeep.

Of course if you are on a coast or in a more urban area all the costs go up so that $100 would be nothing, but around here $100 is $100.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 135
Niced 999 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Besides a top notch course...
1. Pro shop
2. Snack bar
3. Beer
4. Decent restrooms
5. Overnight options
6. Basket to tee cameras (live steams)
7. 24 hour golf
8. Tiki course for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
And if you had all of that and more.... plus 4 world class courses.....what would you pay to play all day?
Are you John Jokinen?

I kid, I kid. But seriously, under promise and over deliver: Forget about snack bars and tiki courses and all that noise. Make sure your 4 courses are indeed world class first. THEN start adding the extras.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 175 Times in 94 Posts

Truth is that we pay to golf almost every time that we play. Public courses are not 'free', unless you completely shirk paying taxes, even with the rare comp round.

I dislike the term 'pay to play', because it is just as misleading as 'free'. More properly this model is called 'daily fee'...

A payment barrier to entry raises expectations because of enhanced perceived value, increasing competitor incentives to provide better service. If you 'enjoy' capitalism this seems natural, good and right. Moreover, as other posters have pointed out, it often results in better behavior from participants.

Personally, I feel good directly contributing in this way (daily fees), even if it's a pittance...

Niced: (2)
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,158 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I live in the low-pay/low cost of living rural Midwest and the amount will depend on where you are located, but if there was a pay to play course around me with an annual fee in the $100 ballpark I'd pay that. There is a solid course here, but I'd skip it and pay to play a slightly better course with good upkeep.

Of course if you are on a coast or in a more urban area all the costs go up so that $100 would be nothing, but around here $100 is $100.
Yep, location. location, location. You can see it around here too. Spotsylvania is about half way between Richmond and DC. The players from the affluent Northern Virginia suburbs will pay entry fees, buy sponsor discs, etc without blinking. Their club raised enough money for 27 baskets and a trailer to haul them around in in a few months time. Go 2 hours south of there to Richmond and the player base doesn't want to pay $10 to play on a golf course with a cart included.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,545 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
I dislike the term 'pay to play', because it is just as misleading as 'free'. More properly this model is called 'daily fee'...
"Pay per play" would be accurate. PPP. But that's pretty pedantic; "pay to play" conveys the meaning well enough.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,545 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
Long time reader, first time poster here. I'm interested to hear from the community what types of amenities would a dedicated disc golf facility have to offer in order for you to pay to play? Thanks in advance!
Can you add a little context to that question?

Like how often, and where?

The bar isn't too high for me to pay to play, once. If you're thinking in terms of a business model---whether people would be regulars at a course---the standard is a lot higher.

Where matters, perhaps even more. How close to me, and what are the alternatives within the same distance.

Like others, what really matters is the course itself. Or courses. Amenities are nice, but not much of an attraction.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 634 Times in 282 Posts

Interesting design
High level of maintenance
Legit tees
Good baskets

If you’re charging say $10 and don’t have all of the above, I probably won’t be coming back.

That’s also as a person who built and runs a P2P course. There can just be no excuses IMO.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Can you add a little context to that question?

Like how often, and where?

The bar isn't too high for me to pay to play, once. If you're thinking in terms of a business model---whether people would be regulars at a course---the standard is a lot higher.

Where matters, perhaps even more. How close to me, and what are the alternatives within the same distance.

Like others, what really matters is the course itself. Or courses. Amenities are nice, but not much of an attraction.
The Charlotte metro area. Already a hotbed of good courses, but none that are maintained as well as a P2P would be and none have any real amenities. The player base seems to be there but would enough of them choose to pay on a regular basis to make it worthwhile? That's the question.