Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 984 Times in 579 Posts
Default Simon Lizotte - Shouldn't HE be the best?

Every year I keep thinking THIS is the year Simon Lizotte destroys the competition and becomes world champ, #1 player, etc, etc. He obviously has the entire skill set. Fans/critics were saying.."if he could only dial in his mental game", "not be a such a show off", etc, etc. And then...he started playing a tad more conservative and I personally thought, ok..this is it, he's going to start winning everything. He's obviously does well on tour and is always amazing to watch. Just seems like...if anyone was going to dominate the sport from say 3 years ago to 3 years from now, Simon would have been be the one to bet on.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2019, 03:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,888 Times in 1,763 Posts

Old 10-15-2019, 03:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

Simon is obviously a great player and when he is on, he's as good as anyone out there... but I'm not sure he really has the killer instinct needed to be the dominant player over the a long period of time.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,350 Times in 1,817 Posts

His shot selection on the course is pretty suspect at times. Look at HOF...roller on one? Really?

Old 10-15-2019, 06:57 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,681 Times in 763 Posts

Simon has embraced one of the characteristics that pros "should" foster which is throwing more "entertaining" shots, especially in a sport not yet tailored to provide very many per round. As such, throwing a roller on one is both entertaining and actually considered one of several appropriate options, especially if you have the power to get around the corner on your drive. A roller hitting a tree is also less likely to go as far offline as an air shot hitting one of those trees.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,350 Times in 1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Simon has embraced one of the characteristics that pros "should" foster which is throwing more "entertaining" shots, especially in a sport not yet tailored to provide very many per round. As such, throwing a roller on one is both entertaining and actually considered one of several appropriate options, especially if you have the power to get around the corner on your drive. A roller hitting a tree is also less likely to go as far offline as an air shot hitting one of those trees.
In both rounds (on film) his teeshot was out of position. The first round he was saved by a lucky second tree that knocked him back to the edge of the fairway. He birdied the second round because he threw a great scramble shot and nailed a long putt. We are going to have to agree to disagree here. I saw he birdied the hole in the 3rd round...I wonder if he also went roller, but I doubt it.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 633 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
His shot selection on the course is pretty suspect at times. Look at HOF...roller on one? Really?

But this is what people don’t understand about Simon. I have a pretty easy time choosing a shot, but Simon’s options include literally hundreds of options that straight up don’t even exist to anyone else. If you could throw a putter 500’ and rip a sky anny that utilizes the gravity field of the moon you might throw some shots that seem strange to others too haha

Also, Simon is doing well for himself, having a great time and kicking butt. He’s more of a Harlem Globetrotter than Jordan though, he does the craziest stuff you’ll ever see but might not be on the podium at the end of the day. Who he is and what he does exists outside the confines of normal competition as crazy as that sounds, and for someone who’s never won a world title etc. he’s doing just fine.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts

From my understanding Simon is a man of many talents and IDK if disc golf gets his 100% focus unfortunately. I have heard he talks about moving on and playing things like darts professionally as well. I think he genuinely plays to have fun even if it gets in the way of his success from time to time. I actually think he will place better when he gets out of his "prime" and needs to work to shot well.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,145 Times in 576 Posts

Recently in an interview (I forget the source, maybe smashboxx) Simon specifically mentioned that he didn't have the insane drive that guys like Paul do to be the absolute best.

I've said it before - it takes a level of drive and obsessive determination that most people don't have or don't want to have, to be on that elite level and consistent enough to win championships. No one is going to outwork Paul, and talent can only bring you so far before the only thing that can raise your level is trying to outwork the field. That's where I feel like Simon is.

It's not a knock on Simon. He's very talented. He just seems to actually play the game for fun, and he just happens to be talented enough to make a living doing it. People want to watch him play, and want to see him go for the "Simon Line" shots that he's so well known for. I wish I had enough talent to go for all the fun shots I see on a course. Unfortunately, I have to play smart and conservatively with my skill set to play halfway decently.

Last edited by VictorB; 10-15-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 231
Niced 82 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
obsessive determination
THIS.

The very very very elite athletes are obsessive to the point of almost being unhealthy.

I've seen a retriever hunting dog that was so obsessive about retrieving the target in the water that you could keep throwing the target back to the water and the dog would keep retrieving it until it would seem as though the dog would drown from exhaustion. The owner would need to actually stop throwing it because the dog won't stop retrieving it. I see some elite athletes as being that driven that it's unhealthy.

Niced: (2)