Old 11-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts

The way you move the hips correctly is by pushing through the ground. In the backswing you push/resist through the ground with your rear foot to "wipe" the rear butt to clear it out of the way towards the target (same as golf). From there you could "spin" your hips without putting pressure through the ground...... but that's just that a "spin" and not adding any leverage to the shot. Instead, you push through the ground with your front foot to now clear the front hip back. It's the same in golf.

Post more vids in your thread, Wookie. Feels aren't real. I need to post more videos too to get this figured out. For every new form/drill video you post, I'll post one too.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2019, 04:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,898 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
So as it is, I do use my legs, hips, etc. Just not actively TRYING to use them. So they do work, because of experience with basically every sport. So my legs, hips, and other body parts get involved without me even having to think. But the question is HOW much should my hips be involved I guess is the better question.

And it seems like from your answer and SW's, that they should be involved, but not too much? And not as much as I'm thinking?

Which confuses me. Because you guys just referenced videos of golfers showing how to clear the hips in a very fast upward and out/away motion to help the clubhead gain even more speed. So that would mean, that in disc golf, firing your hips fast and back/out of the way would help pull the disc and arm faster into the chest and through the hit? But then you say: "I don't think violently" or "I used to try and really rotate the hips fast and violent and that just led to spinning out of leverage." So which one is it? And why are you guys referencing videos talking about clearing the hips in a fast quick manner to add clubhead speed? It would seem to me, you are referencing them to show how clearing the hips powerfully and quickly can add distance to not only your golf shots, but also your disc golf shots? Just trying to get clarification so I can follow along and know what is important and what is more in the background.

Which once again brings me back to HOW and WHAT is causing so much force to be delivered to the disc? It's not my torso, it's not my shoulder, it's not my arm, it's not my hips. So what exactly would you say are the top 3 most important things that generate the most power in Disc golf? Because I can name them quickly for you in golf, tennis, baseball, lacrosse and hockey. Sure, there are a combination of many things going on to cause the body to hit the ball so hard/far. But in all of them, there are always just a few key things that really are the main drivers to produce speed and or power to throw or hit the ball far/fast.

Thanks
Quote:
So what if I'm getting my weight forward, all on the front leg, then the disc gets slung out, and I'm still getting the same distances as before? What would that mean to you? What is not happening here? I'm not saying I'm perfect, but the timing is pretty close to good, and all the motions and weight transfers are happening. My elbow is getting forward with the disc near the middle of my chest, my wrist is firm and springy, my grip is firm (not tight, but not super loose), I'm getting a release farther out in front of me than I used too and I squeeze the disc hard near the end. And yet nothing is changing in terms of distance or consistency. Still just not feeling any heavy discs, no pop, still not feeling like the disc is booming out of my hands, nothing. Everything feels about the same. The only thing that has got better overall is my balance, weight shift, and timing. But none of that is adding any distance or consistency. There's some shots where I'm all the way on my plant leg and my back leg gets up high and around a la Drew Gibson with a good release out in front. And still, the disc goes about the same distance

So I was thinking "maybe I'm not getting my hips involved ENOUGH". They are involved, just not enough maybe? And it sounds like they shouldn't be used with a lot of force. And yet you're saying being braced and coming from behind is very important. But I'm already doing that now. So no idea WHY I'm not throwing farther. Plus, with the season wrapping up, practice and videos are not going to be happening for quite some time. So I'm not even sure it's worth my time to try and get into this until next spring?

Thanks again for trying to help. I really appreciate all the effort. I hope this clicks someday for me, haha
Only 14 questions in there?

It's like I'm reading the dialog from "Who's on 1st". I appreciate the enthusiasm, but a picture is worth 1000 words and a video even more. I feel like I'm in the dark without seeing what you are doing/talking about with yourself.

I don't interpret any of those vids as talking about a violent hip motion. You can be smooth and fast, like the saying slow is smooth and smooth is fast. And loose is fast and on the verge of out of control. The violence happens to the disc. When you mention a violent hip motion I envision shearing forces instead of compressive forces.

Gripping your tool, posture/balance, sequence/rhythm.

I often don't even need to see someone actually throwing and can tell by their setup/practice swing if they got it. Go to an indoor pool and practice going through the swing.

Indoor Practice:

Niced: (1)

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-13-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Par Member

Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks guys for the extra replies. I'm just so frustrated that nothing is working and with the winter weather coming in now, I'm not going to be able to play or practice much or at all until at least next March. So I'm just going to sign off for now, and come back in the Spring and get to work on all of this then. A forced hiatus will be good for me for sure. As I am going nutty thinking about this swing and practicing all the time. Thanks for all the help so far, and I'll see everyone next Spring more than likely Best
Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 233 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Thanks guys for the extra replies. I'm just so frustrated that nothing is working and with the winter weather coming in now, I'm not going to be able to play or practice much or at all until at least next March. So I'm just going to sign off for now, and come back in the Spring and get to work on all of this then. A forced hiatus will be good for me for sure. As I am going nutty thinking about this swing and practicing all the time. Thanks for all the help so far, and I'll see everyone next Spring more than likely Best
Oh the winter weather doesn't stop some people. I've played tournament rounds in 20-30F. You have to say goodbye to distance in the winter though. Everything is more difficult in layers/cold. The winter is a great time to practice because everyone else comes back rusty in the spring and you get to swoop in and dominate (briefly). Back in 2017 I won our local Ice Bowl because I had been playing all winter and then had the round of my life.

But if you take a break, that's fine too. Have a good winter.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 336 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
Oh the winter weather doesn't stop some people. I've played tournament rounds in 20-30F. You have to say goodbye to distance in the winter though. Everything is more difficult in layers/cold. The winter is a great time to practice because everyone else comes back rusty in the spring and you get to swoop in and dominate (briefly). Back in 2017 I won our local Ice Bowl because I had been playing all winter and then had the round of my life.

But if you take a break, that's fine too. Have a good winter.
Yeah if snow not to thick, winter disc is top drawer. Peaceful. Weeds are dead, less likely to lose disc. Puts hair on your chest.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 753 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
There's some shots where I'm all the way on my plant leg and my back leg gets up high and around a la Drew Gibson with a good release out in front. And still, the disc goes about the same distance
FWIW Drew doesn't do that follow through to gain distance. He's doing it to protect himself from reinjuring his left knee (or hip, I can't remember which).