Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
Is that because we have a state Frisbee tournament?
no. it is because no one has ever started one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
I can speak very highly of our State coordinator, I can't remember the last state event he was not involved in one capacity or another. And he even support putting leagues hour and half way. His endless energy and dedication to the sport is amazing.

I also know that a fair amount of coordination take place between, VA, DE, MD and PA on scheduling.
Bob is the best. When I was coordinator I stuck around for 2 years longer than i wanted to because I didn't feel the people who wanted the job at that point would be good for it. I was quite happy when he stepped up and he has surpassed my wildest expectations. He may be the most selfless person I know. Add WV and NC to the list of states involved.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Appreciate the feedback guys. Anyone out there know about other State Championships?
Old 11-19-2019, 08:40 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 222 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Appreciate the feedback guys. Anyone out there know about other State Championships?
PA has a rotating State Championship. Not exactly sure how it is setup.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,712 Times in 841 Posts

There's a map here. It shows one in VA, but I'm told there isn't one.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:08 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

Minnesota has had an annual State Championship for over 30 years. At some point in the 80s, the Minnesota Frisbee Association - MFA (the oldest state org) created a circular wooden award divided into three pie wedge plaques. These wedges are traveling trophies awarded to the Open winner of the MN Majestic, State Championship and the MN Summer Tour Champ (or maybe the Fall Championship winner.) Only a few players in the past 40 years have won or at least held all three wedges at one time during a 12-month period.

Chris "Critter" Meyer has been running the State Championship for the MFA as a single day, 2-round PDGA event in October for several years now. Although the MFA owns the Tournament name, it seems like the MFA Board has been satisfied with Critter running it until he wants to pass it on.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Minnesota has had an annual State Championship for over 30 years. At some point in the 80s, the Minnesota Frisbee Association - MFA (the oldest state org) created a circular wooden award divided into three pie wedge plaques. These wedges are traveling trophies awarded to the Open winner of the MN Majestic, State Championship and the MN Summer Tour Champ (or maybe the Fall Championship winner.) Only a few players in the past 40 years have won or at least held all three wedges at one time during a 12-month period.

Chris "Critter" Meyer has been running the State Championship for the MFA as a single day, 2-round PDGA event in October for several years now. Although the MFA owns the Tournament name, it seems like the MFA Board has been satisfied with Critter running it until he wants to pass it on.
Is the State Championship run like any other A/B Tier? Is there a berth or qualification system?
Old 11-19-2019, 10:00 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,678 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Is the State Championship run like any other A/B Tier? Is there a berth or qualification system?
Nothing special. It was a regular B-tier this year. For several years, it was run in early August with the winner becoming the MN qualifier for the USDGC when that was a thing.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,535 Times in 1,534 Posts

15 or 20 years ago, when tournaments weren't nearly as common, South Carolina had two state championships, plus a points series.

There was a South Carolina Disc Golf Championship, and a South Carolina Flying Disc Championship (distance, MTA, & disc golf). Both were routine events, nothing special, no qualifiers. The points series was a bigger deal.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Courses Played: 286
Niced 111 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
I was hoping for some feedback.

How do various states handle tournament scheduling? Both sanctioned and non sanctioned.

Do State Coordinator duties vary from state to state?

For those that have some kind of State Championship, how is this handled. Are there berths assigned, given or won? Is it open sign up?
In Louisiana, there are no holds barred for tournament scheduling, as in there is no central coordinating authority or person.

State coordinator duties in Louisiana are the same as any other state.

Anyone can sign up for the Louisiana State Championships, there are no berths assigned, given, or won.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
There's a map here. It shows one in VA, but I'm told there isn't one.
Isn't it your map? Which event did you use?