#11  
Old 11-19-2019, 04:32 PM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,474
Niced 896 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I can't believe that article makes zero mention of the American Disc Golf Tour. What an obvious and glaring omission.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,881
Niced 3,819 Times in 1,578 Posts
Default

Jeff Spring and the DGPT disavow Dodge's article

Rightly so, IMO. Steve's always been a bit of an agent provocateur. Sometimes to his credit, sometimes not. This feels like one of those not to his credit moments.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,226
Niced 3,520 Times in 1,530 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Jeff Spring and the DGPT disavow Dodge's article

Rightly so, IMO. Steve's always been a bit of an agent provocateur. Sometimes to his credit, sometimes not. This feels like one of those not to his credit moments.
I'm not sure that reply was made after reading the article....

Steve isn't proposing the DGPT not work with the PDGA; I think he's advocating working even more closely, by supplanting the NT.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-19-2019, 04:56 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,881
Niced 3,819 Times in 1,578 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm not sure that reply was made after reading the article....

Steve isn't proposing the DGPT not work with the PDGA; I think he's advocating working even more closely, by supplanting the NT.
Right, and I think Jeff's position is they have no interest in supplanting the NT at this time.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:05 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,293
Niced 1,381 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I don't think they should be merged yet. Lets talk again in 2 years.
Having seen peeks underneath the hood of the proverbial engines being discussed - a merge specifically would be about as successful as the suggested DGWT/DGPT mergers a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Id put DGPT in charge. Sure, they still have a lot to learn, but the PDGA wants out of the business of running the NT, and eventually DGPT will take over anyway.

At the same time, if the DGPT can't beat a group that puts out a pretty minimum effort financially, and sends 2-3 overworked people to an event...should they really be given the keys "just because"?

Seems to me that if you can't outright win the attention that's more of a mark against the DGPT than the PDGA.

I appreciate what Steve is saying, and I agree that the PDGA loves fence-sitting in terms of whether to give full-throated support and priority to growing a tour. However, given the lack of financial stability at the DGPT (I know we're saying they're secure now, but they still have to prove it), and the lack of financial danger at the PDGA, it makes sense for both tours to continue and provide enough events to continue the expansion of the pro game alongside the expansion of the amateur game.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:13 PM
jvphobic jvphobic is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,013
Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
I appreciate what Steve is saying, and I agree that the PDGA loves fence-sitting in terms of whether to give full-throated support and priority to growing a tour. However, given the lack of financial stability at the DGPT (I know we're saying they're secure now, but they still have to prove it), and the lack of financial danger at the PDGA, it makes sense for both tours to continue and provide enough events to continue the expansion of the pro game alongside the expansion of the amateur game.
I agree with this Jamie. This is the first year under new ownership and management. Which is why I said lets look at this again in 2 years. It could be a different landscape, it might not be.

I agree with a lot of Steve's premises, but the DGPT needs to prove itself first and foremost.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:17 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 7,881
Niced 3,819 Times in 1,578 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I agree with this Jamie. This is the first year under new ownership and management. Which is why I said lets look at this again in 2 years. It could be a different landscape, it might not be.

I agree with a lot of Steve's premises, but the DGPT needs to prove itself first and foremost.
I recall that Steve originally proposed to take over the NT directly but the PDGA declined and encouraged a proof of concept, hence the birth of the DGPT. Seems like now, Steve wants that original idea re-visited. However, with the change in ownership/management of DGPT, they're in many ways right back at square one in terms of proof of concept. The only person who doesn't recognize that, apparently, is Steve.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:31 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,293
Niced 1,381 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I agree with this Jamie. This is the first year under new ownership and management. Which is why I said lets look at this again in 2 years. It could be a different landscape, it might not be.

I agree with a lot of Steve's premises, but the DGPT needs to prove itself first and foremost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I recall that Steve originally proposed to take over the NT directly but the PDGA declined and encouraged a proof of concept, hence the birth of the DGPT. Seems like now, Steve wants that original idea re-visited. However, with the change in ownership/management of DGPT, they're in many ways right back at square one in terms of proof of concept. The only person who doesn't recognize that, apparently, is Steve.
To piggyback on this - consider this 2020 season "Square 1 v2.0" BUT now something extremely important is different. There is no Disc Golf World Tour to compete with for sponsorship dollars and audience attention.

Ultimately, I think the DGPT has to prove that it can expand the audience without needing to ad-hoc to other brands. So far what it has done very well with Steve at the helm has been engaging with the already-bought-in folks...and keep in mind that there's a little bit of "no press is bad press" mentality when I say that. We fans have definitely kept the DGPT name on the tips of our tongues since 2016.

What the PDGA does demonstrably better is expand participation in the sport.

In general, in this sport today, there are too many people starting to turn their minds towards contracting opportunities when we still need to be in an expansion mindframe. It's happening in all major decision-making parts of this sport, and it's a mistake. It's too soon.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:45 PM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 368
Niced 451 Times in 168 Posts
Default

DGCR app has 18 reviews.
UDisc has 10k.
Wonder which is more successful?
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:45 PM
MikeK MikeK is offline
Supreme Disc Golf Authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 286
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 298
Niced 111 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

In general, in this sport today, there are too many people starting to turn their minds towards contracting opportunities when we still need to be in an expansion mindframe. It's happening in all major decision-making parts of this sport, and it's a mistake. It's too soon.
Not following you there at all. Examples please?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
National Tour Finale bwgort Rules Questions & Discussion 3 09-13-2017 12:46 PM
Paul McBeth Joins after PDGA National Tour win :SmashboxxTV: Aim For The Chains General Disc Golf Chat 8 08-31-2016 11:36 PM
How do you think the National Tour would work best? optidiscic General Disc Golf Chat 55 02-22-2015 07:50 PM
National Tour Statsitics steven2361 Tournaments & Leagues 1 03-22-2013 12:00 AM
National Players Challenge Tour 2013 NPCTour General Disc Golf Chat 7 06-15-2012 12:21 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.