Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
My sons afterschool teacher loves the game and is wheelchair bound. this is great news. problem around here is most courses are very hilly and have lots of obstacles in the ground.
We're interested in testing our Caddy system on less than ideal courses. Greenville SC is about 75-mins. from here. If you'll recommend a particular course we may go there to exercise the Caddy system across a range of wheelchair player skills and equipment (most of our wheelchair athletes are from the basketball leagues but a few are field sport athletes with amazing ("extreme") wheelchairs that can all but climb trees.

Also, the Wheelchair Rules for Disc Golf (RWD) will be posted on our website no later than mid-January (free for downloading; comments/suggestions will be more than welcomed) -- L55
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
There's a course in Mississippi that was designed to be handicap accessible. There are paths to all tees and pins, and most of the holes have nice short grass and gentle slopes so you could navigate them pretty well on wheels. They also have bells on top of each pin to ring for deaf people.
that is effing amazing...i played disc for 3 years pretty often (7-10x week) until i was hit by drunk driver. Now i am wheelchair bound, still w/ eagerness to play. Guess next Q for me to ask is what's the name of the course & it's address? I'm in North Tx, but will make drive for that.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1341
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 663 Times in 250 Posts

Ashe Lake
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 320
Niced 408 Times in 187 Posts

Just played Lawrence W. Inlow Park in Carmel, IN., which does a real good job of being an introductory, accessible course. It's not going to challenge more experienced players, but if you know someone with limitations who wants to try disc golf, this is the type of place to find.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Par Member

Niced 59 Times in 30 Posts

Markham Park in Sunrise, FL is decent for accessibility; this is something I should bring up to the local group.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,274 Times in 1,124 Posts

A few thoughts:

1) Although it's really nothing more than a 6 hole pitch-n-putt, Chilson Woods ADA* was specifically put in with wheel chair accessability in mind. That being said, I don't think it was a good idea having 2's basket so close to the woods. A truly long shot would be nigh on impossible to retrive for the wheelchair bound.

2) I suspect many "park style" courses would work for wheelchair rounds (at least a good number of holes:
Firefighters in Troy, MI comes to mind.
• Most (but not all) of the holes at Sims in Euclid OH, would work as well.
• Except for having to retrieve discs from what can be thick rough on some holes, I see no reason River City Nature Park wouldn't be wheel chair accessible.
• It'd be a helluva workout, but I could even see 50 Acre Park near Chicago being wheel chair accessible with the right chair, a strong upper body, and good stamina... lots significant hills, but the terrain's open and accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne.hoffman View Post
Markham Park in Sunrise, FL is decent for accessibility; this is something I should bring up to the local group.
3) I haven't played there since they expanded it to 18 holes, but I can see the 8 of the original front being so... not sure about hole # 2. They'd have to keep that grass pretty closely cropped... that thick St. Augustine grass wouldn't make for easy going.

* Americans with Disabilities Act

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 12-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb View Post
I'm pretty sure there are some courses out there that can be accessible to people who use wheelchairs, and at least some of the holes should be playable.

But are there any rule variants established for wheelchair disc golf?

For example, I imagine if I play with my friend, we could treat all areas to which he could not navigate and take a stance as OB for both of us. And if his disc lands there, I could retrieve it for him.

Fair? Doable? I bet he can throw a wicked flick!
Wow, dude, I haven’t heard that you can play golf in a wheelchair. It's very cool, because it opens up great opportunities for the disabled. By the way, I need your help. You happen to know where I can buy an electric wheelchair from. I searched the Internet and
enter site, where there were different reviews, and it turned out that such wheelchair are sold on Amazon and I am interested if there are shops where you can immediately buy such a wheelchair, and not wait a few weeks for a parcel from Amazon. Advise me something please.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,144 Times in 893 Posts

Glad this thread got bumped up. One of my friends has worked with the Paralyzed Veterans of America for a number of years running clinics for disabled vets including some in wheelchairs. I helped out this year and it was far and away the most rewarding experience I have ever had working on a dg event (and i have worked on hundreds). Disc golf will be a test event for the Wheelchair Games in 2020 in Portland, OR.

Forehand roller is the shot of choice for players in wheelchairs.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 89
Niced 32 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Glad this thread got bumped up. One of my friends has worked with the Paralyzed Veterans of America for a number of years running clinics for disabled vets including some in wheelchairs. I helped out this year and it was far and away the most rewarding experience I have ever had working on a dg event (and i have worked on hundreds). Disc golf will be a test event for the Wheelchair Games in 2020 in Portland, OR.

Are you talking about Trax for Vets in Indiana? Chuck has a great thing going there.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 89
Niced 32 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamagra456 View Post
Wow, dude, I haven’t heard that you can play golf in a wheelchair. It's very cool, because it opens up great opportunities for the disabled. By the way, I need your help. You happen to know where I can buy an electric wheelchair from. I searched the Internet and
enter site, where there were different reviews, and it turned out that such wheelchair are sold on Amazon and I am interested if there are shops where you can immediately buy such a wheelchair, and not wait a few weeks for a parcel from Amazon. Advise me something please.
I don’t think I’m the right person to ask this question. Tentatively, I’d suggest taking a look at some of the EV3 (three wheeled) mobility scooters. But really, I suggest you ask someone who has owned this type of equipment.