Old 09-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts
Default External Focus is Key

Ever wonder why you'll get to the field and start throwing like garbage as soon as you start to work on your swing? This is probably the biggest issue you may not realize you have, and it has nothing to do with your form.

There were times when I would play a round and throw 450 foot lasers and then get to the field the next day and start skying shots 200 feet into the air with ****ty distance. I began to realize this was the reason. Practicing with a target is key. External focus is key.

Once you've got "good" form, it's easy to say that you should have external focus. How are you supposed to learn? Adjust? For me, it starts with focusing on one part at a time. You throw really poorly and that's fine. Work like this can be done throwing into a net instead of the field. Eventually, with enough focus, it will become second nature. Suddenly, you won't have to think about what you're working on. Then you can move on to the next thing.

That's how it worked for me. It took 2 years, but I'm finally to a place where I can focus on my target and not worry about my balance regressing or that I'll start to hug myself or whatever other issue was plaguing me.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 462 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Ever wonder why you'll get to the field and start throwing like garbage as soon as you start to work on your swing? This is probably the biggest issue you may not realize you have, and it has nothing to do with your form.

There were times when I would play a round and throw 450 foot lasers and then get to the field the next day and start skying shots 200 feet into the air with ****ty distance. I began to realize this was the reason. Practicing with a target is key. External focus is key.

Once you've got "good" form, it's easy to say that you should have external focus. How are you supposed to learn? Adjust? For me, it starts with focusing on one part at a time. You throw really poorly and that's fine. Work like this can be done throwing into a net instead of the field. Eventually, with enough focus, it will become second nature. Suddenly, you won't have to think about what you're working on. Then you can move on to the next thing.

That's how it worked for me. It took 2 years, but I'm finally to a place where I can focus on my target and not worry about my balance regressing or that I'll start to hug myself or whatever other issue was plaguing me.
This is really a great post, and hits really close to home. Especially seeing the results in your more recent posts in your form thread you really truly a success in form development.

The personal note? Last weekend after quite a bit of mental practice, I won a tournament where I putted horribly but had my most consistent day ever driving. The few that went wrong I knew and could feel what I did and some really great long drives parking baskets that felt truly effortless. Yesterday morning I had time to go out to the course with the thought I would film my whole round to critique what felt like was huge progress in my throw.... and right back not quite to square one but 1st hole had a regression.
I KNOW the fix is to get out to the field and focus on one or two things slinging mids. But reading your post is I hope the motivation I need to go do what I know I should but haven't been doing.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

I agree that having something to aim at makes a huge difference. You focus on your throw more and tend to have better mechanics. Going out and throwing wild, aimless bombs in a field can create bad habits.

If I'm in a field I always find a target and focus on it. Makes the session more productive.