Old 09-30-2019, 05:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts
Default Throwing fast drivers higher in the air

Yesterday while throwing in the field I experimented with throwing drivers on higher lines than I usually do. The results were surprising. Rather than ripping the disc flat and close to the ground (like usual) I was arcing them high on anny lines and letting them flex out. I figured some drivers would simply stall and die, but they didn't. I was aiming the discs well left of the target and they were flexing right quite a bit.

My max distance is about 450' and I was getting every bit of that with these higher lines. I also feel like this is a more efficient way to throw fast, understable drivers. You can maximize the disc's distance without throwing it too low and corkscrewing it into the ground.

I was surprised all these discs were going so far on such a high line. Usually when I try to throw something high it stalls out and falls to the ground like a brick. Thrown assertively and on the right line, a high shot can definitely still go for max power. I had a Destiny, Nuke SS, G* Katana, D3, star Boss, and star Destroyer. The star Destroyer was the only one of the 6 that didn't take well to being thrown high. The disc is too beefy and glideless. It stalled and fell.

This isn't a line I'd ever use for accuracy, but for sheer distance I was impressed.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 09-30-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 718 Times in 337 Posts

Like every throw, it's a balancing act of different factors. More speed, more anny, and lower nose angle will all allow a higher line to carry forward without stalling. (Not coincidentally, all the same things that might cause a lower throw to turn & burn.)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 670 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
Like every throw, it's a balancing act of different factors. More speed, more anny, and lower nose angle will all allow a higher line to carry forward without stalling. (Not coincidentally, all the same things that might cause a lower throw to turn & burn.)
Yeah. I've messed around with throwing high before, but yesterday was the first time I was really impressed with any of it. I was able to throw the discs almost ridiculously high without having them stall. The distance and glide were incredible. I had one downwind shot with a Destiny that went super high and seemed to catch the jet stream well in excess of 450'.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,741 Times in 1,702 Posts

I'd be throwing most of those discs on hyzer flips out to the left, but discs do fly a little different going from sea level to a mile high elevation.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 23 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I'd be throwing most of those discs on hyzer flips out to the left, but discs do fly a little different going from sea level to a mile high elevation.
There's a stark difference when throwing discs at sea level compared to mile high though.

Niced: (1)