Old 09-30-2019, 02:20 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Making your shoulder lever longer

I believe that getting the trailing shoulder tucked in towards the center of your gravity serves the purpose to elongate your shoulder lever. What I mean by this is typically peoples center of rotation is their spine. So the shoulder lever goes from their leading shoulder to the middle of their chest. But when you slam your rear shoulder in towards the center it becomes the center of rotation therefore elongating that lever to encompass the entire length of your shoulders therefore giving you twice as much length and leverage and therefore more power. I've never heard of anybody else talking about this but I think this is what's happening. What are your thoughts on this everyone?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:40 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 128 Times in 85 Posts

This is probably something I picked up from the other guys here, but I think it's more about giving your frontside something to leverage against. Having your off arm "inside" your swing allows your front side to open up and push off a sort of wall. If your arm is just dangling behind you, you've got no backside to push off of.

That's always how I've pictured/felt it.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 200 Times in 153 Posts

The center of rotation isn't the spine in this case. First of all, the center of rotation isn't really static, it's dynamic, but in the disc golf throw, it is centered over the front leg. And it's not really the rotation that is creating the force. If you just stand in a normal upright stance and spin around your spine you aren't going to be flinging discs very far. The lever is elongated through lateral movement, not a fundamental change in the center of rotation.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,741 Times in 1,702 Posts

Correct, I like to think of the trail or off arm swimming the rest of the swing forward ahead of it.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=124523
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...&postcount=556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Exactly, shoulders and arm are basically just one big extended lever geared from the hips. This is the same in BH and FH.
Quote:
When your shoulder starts going forward your elbow should be going along as well with a little lag to put a plyometric load/spring back into the muscles as you try to maintain the upper arm angle and everything will work more together in sync. Think of your shoulders and arm as one big lever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQYGzTlVetQ#t=7m
Quote:
Left shoulder centered little arc during swing. Which swings and speeds up right shoulder forward into long wide arc during swing.
Then right shoulder makes centered little arc from hit and left shoulder gets pulled thru into wide arc after release.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:19 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
The center of rotation isn't the spine in this case. First of all, the center of rotation isn't really static, it's dynamic, but in the disc golf throw, it is centered over the front leg. And it's not really the rotation that is creating the force. If you just stand in a normal upright stance and spin around your spine you aren't going to be flinging discs very far. The lever is elongated through lateral movement, not a fundamental change in the center of rotation.
I seems you completely misunderstood my post.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstarr View Post

Probably so, but I'm willing to learn. How does changing the off arm change the swing center?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:07 PM

Niced 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Probably so, but I'm willing to learn. How does changing the off arm change the swing center?
Think about it purely in terms of physics and leverage. Your levers ejecting the disc are your shoulders, then upper arm, then lower arm, then wrist. The faster you can move these levers the farther you throw. The longer a lever the faster it's terminal end can travel. Imaging swinging a 2ft baseball bat vs 4ft bat
Like you said most amateur throwers have their center of rotation during the hit point at their spine or even farther forward near their throwing arm. This makes the shoulder lever very short. But how do you make that shoulder lever longer? You back up the center of rotation to the rear shoulder. This is why all the big throwers make a swimming or punching motion with their off hand. They are starting the rotation from the rear shoulder not the front.
Imaging holding a broom stick across the top of your shoulders. If you wanted to get the right side of the stick to move as fast as possible. Would you center the rotation over your right or left shoulder?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnstarr View Post

Quote:
I think UN has center of rotation/axis confused with the swing center/levers from the axis.

You can see how the hammer thrower below centers his rotation on the lead foot as it pivots, the trail foot pivots and has to step around the lead foot pivoting.

You can also see how the trail side is tucking into the center to help push/leverage the lead throwing side out further.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Eagle Member

Yeah I knew there was some sort of confusion of terms there on my part.

I've always understood the rear side tucking in to the center as something that was mainly to keep all your mass as centered as possible to increase how fast you rotate (like ice skater arms out vs in). But now going back and reading through the SW22 Swim Move thread I'm seeing that its basically also starting the motion forward along with the rear leg. But that is just to get everything forward onto the front leg cleanly, right?

It's only a longer shoulder lever because you are delaying the arm/shoulder movement forward until after the rear leg and rear arm have leveraged forward into the plant. Am I thinking right here? I'm thinking like how GG stays turned back so dang long to get that huge distance.

Maybe the overhead KJ images would help.

Last edited by UhhNegative; 10-02-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Note how the navel or center of gravity and shoulders or swing center line up differently on the ankle or center of rotation/yellow line.