Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Par Member

Niced 94 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Maybe I haven't been following this close enough, but someone actually suggested this?

Whilst McBeth is not the best in any one category, what makes him so hard to beat is he is good in all of them. It would be very hard to design a course just to handicap him.

This being the premier event of the year, I do expect the staff to balance the course from year to year to keep it competitive; this is a horse of a different color.

I agree with you, it sounds silly.
This really isn't the time or place for this argument but Udisc has Paul's 2019 rankings as 1st in the following stats: Fairway Hits, Parked, C1 in Reg, C2 in Reg, and Birdie %.

He is the best off the tee.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,007 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
This really isn't the time or place for this argument but Udisc has Paul's 2019 rankings as 1st in the following stats: Fairway Hits, Parked, C1 in Reg, C2 in Reg, and Birdie %.

He is the best off the tee.
There are 3 types of lies: Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Left me rephrase my statement so it is more clear. In any one skill, Paul is not the best, but what makes him so tough to beat is that he is good at all of them( ok, other than I don't think he can throw with his off hand)

Any of those stats that you threw up, they are a combination of many skills.

If there is a single skill that he is close to being the best at, that is mental focus. We have seen that slip a few times this year though.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 10-11-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 94 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
There are 3 types of lies: Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Left me rephrase my statement so it is more clear. In any one skill, Paul is not the best, but what makes him so tough to beat is that he is good at all of them( ok, other than I don't think he can throw with his off hand)

Any of those stats that you threw up, they are a combination of many skills.

If there is a single skill that he is close to being the best at, that is mental focus. We have seen that slip a few times this year though.
I think "driving" can be summed up as one skill. And Paul is the best "driver" (meaning playing from the tee). I agree with your assessment of his mental toughness also.

Sure, statistics can be misapplied. But a six sided die will land on a number greater than one far more than it lands on one. I doubt you are saying statistics are lies in this scenario.

Anyway, I am getting beside the point and I am not saying you are wrong in any way. I just wanted to point out that Paul is (probably) the best driver and the only way to design a course against him is to design a course where the average hole is 30ft and have him play it against all the best putters.

Last edited by LateWesternSky; 10-11-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 811 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish84 View Post
I actually don’t have Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or any other mass social media platforms.
Wait...we can follow, block, like, add photos, etc, right here @ DGCR. So...... lol...
Old 10-12-2019, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 106
Niced 329 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Wait...we can follow, block, like, add photos, etc, right here @ DGCR. So...... lol...
I think that I’ll have some lunch now. Maybe go to the bathroom in a bit. And if I feel like it maybe I’ll post a pic of a cute baby or funny cat.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Niced 287 Times in 190 Posts

A couple thoughts:
I'm pretty sure Hannah has a degree in something relating to like physical therapy or physiosomething. So she should have a decent guess as to the injury and if playing on it would risk more damage. There is a huge difference between an nagging injury and one where you can actively do more damage.
Even if an injury isn't actively hurting or being damaged, the mental space that injury concerns takes up is huge. Every full-throttle movement becomes a guessing game, there is no course punishing toward guessing games more than USDGC.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

His official PR statement was, well missing a real public relations proof editor.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 169 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
His official PR statement was, well missing a real public relations proof editor.
Damn, imagine a sport in which touring pros drive from event to event and live out of sedans, vans, and if they are lucky, RVs not being able to have a fully-polished and perfectly written PR statement.

Niced: (1)
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 97 Times in 76 Posts

Only Paul knows his ultimate motivations, but just by observing the way he plays and acts I think Paul is too much of a competitor to make excuses for himself. I imagine Paul is like many other highly-competitive guys who blame themselves for their screw-ups and not on anything or anybody else. You don't get to the top of any sport by making excuses for yourself especially when a sport requires you to have nerves of steel and the mental fortitude to bypass bad shots, rounds, etc. That's why I don't buy the conspiracy that he used his injury as an excuse.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 477 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I worked for this lady who used to come barging into my office and yell at me after I would send an email, and the reason she was yelling at me was always because of what she thought I was really trying to imply or manipulate or whatever with what I wrote. It was never about anything I directly wrote in an email. She was always reading a bunch of stuff into what I wrote and then getting mad over what she imagined I was doing. I was always floored by all the crazy stuff she could imagine was going on. She didn't last long; she crashed and burned after she imagined that everyone who sent her an email was plotting against her.

tl;dr: Sometimes people actually tell the truth.
Oh man, these types are the worst!