Old 05-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 413 Times in 103 Posts

Selah Ranch - Lakeside is now the #1 rated course on DGCR after Knobby325's review of Harmony Bends.

Nice review and solid points, Knobby. That course is such a wild card if rain is in the forecast.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 05-06-2022, 02:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 249
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 231 Times in 75 Posts

interestingly the course is marked 'unplayable' due to water just 3 days ago so I wonder what the status was when Knobby played in april. I would just hope someone doesnt go all the way out there and play when its marked unplayable and then review the course lowly for standing water.

It made me think - we dont downgrade northern courses like beaver ranch or maple hill even though they are unplayable due to snow in the winter; so why downvote a course near a river thats unplayable in the rainy months? Why is standing wet water different from standing frozen water?

My guess is folks are well aware of where/when there's going to be snow in the north; but maybe less folks aware of where/when the rain is going to cause issues. Then they show up at HB and are surprised to see water everywhere.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-06-2022, 02:35 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reezyF View Post
interestingly the course is marked 'unplayable' due to water just 3 days ago so I wonder what the status was when Knobby played in april. I would just hope someone doesnt go all the way out there and play when its marked unplayable and then review the course lowly for standing water.

It made me think - we dont downgrade northern courses like beaver ranch or maple hill even though they are unplayable due to snow in the winter; so why downvote a course near a river thats unplayable in the rainy months? Why is standing wet water different from standing frozen water?

My guess is folks are well aware of where/when there's going to be snow in the north; but maybe less folks aware of where/when the rain is going to cause issues. Then they show up at HB and are surprised to see water everywhere.
It was probably soggy if Knobby was there in April - Spring is brutal on that course. The seasonal aspct is a fair one, though I'll add that I played Harmony Bends in November with minimal rain the couple of weeks prior and there were still some standing water areas on hole 10, so it's not limited to rainy months. It's a beautiful plot of land, but it's so susceptible to water.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 535
Niced 2,106 Times in 555 Posts

imagine being a course designer and having your designed course fall out of the number 1 spot... but, the new number one course is also a course you designed.

I have a road trip planned to DFW in a couple weeks, I hope the weather cooperates and i can play one or both of the Selah courses. 4 years ago i was on site at Selah and couldnt throw because of am world doubles.

Old 05-06-2022, 02:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36
Courses Played: 392
Niced 178 Times in 83 Posts

re: Harmony Bends, I asked on FB and will ask here...is it best to try and play there in early June or late October? I'd be driving there from 7 hrs away.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:21 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
re: Harmony Bends, I asked on FB and will ask here...is it best to try and play there in early June or late October? I'd be driving there from 7 hrs away.
My gut tells me October, personally. Temperatures will likely be nicer, and might be dryer as well. June could still see rainy season-like conditions.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-06-2022, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 885 Times in 353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reezyF View Post

I think this^^^. Most courses like that have to be planned out, and a last minute gully washer can ruin those plans/hotel reservations, possibly car rental, etc.

When I play the MI courses I love every year (Toboggan, Beast, Devils Den), I don't plan those trips in JAN. If it rains there, I can still play them. If it rains bad in Columbia two days before I get there---I may be out of luck on a number of holes.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:55 PM

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 255
Niced 196 Times in 37 Posts

There was standing water around the #2 and #5 White and blue tees and in spots along #10 and a few other spots in the bottom part of the course. The small creek on #1 and #18 was low enough to cross on the stepping stones and even when I fell in near the #1 basket, was only wet from the thigh down after hitting a knee on one of the rocks, so not too deep. Was very playable, plus I played from the red tees. Recent heavy rain could make #1 unplayable with no way to cross that creek. #10-#15 is in the flood plain for the larger creek.

I personally don't usually play in the snow, but it is usually walkable unless it has too much ice on it.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 461
Niced 879 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby325 View Post
There was standing water around the #2 and #5 White and blue tees and in spots along #10 and a few other spots in the bottom part of the course. The small creek on #1 and #18 was low enough to cross on the stepping stones and even when I fell in near the #1 basket, was only wet from the thigh down after hitting a knee on one of the rocks, so not too deep. Was very playable, plus I played from the red tees. Recent heavy rain could make #1 unplayable with no way to cross that creek. #10-#15 is in the flood plain for the larger creek.

I personally don't usually play in the snow, but it is usually walkable unless it has too much ice on it.
Who didn’t like your ‘low’ rating of 4.0?