Old 06-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I want YOUR experience

Hey guys,
Just interested to hear your first tournament experience. From what was different than you expected, things you learned, what discs you threw, mistakes you made, triumphs you had. I would love to hear your stories!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Good thread. Fun to read, and fun to talk about...

Mine was the Windy Water Open in 2005. https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/5194
You can find me down in 9th place in the Rec division (then the lowest).

It looks like my ratings for my 67/69, had I been a PDGA member, would have been a 758/734 split. At the time I didn't know anything about ratings, but the course at Ohio Northern University was literally the only course I had ever played at that time (the next day I would play my first ever weekly doubles scramble at the same course) - I was literally 1 month in. Overall I'd been shooting 58-59 every time out as a casual player, so I was really disappointed. After finishing the event, seeing I was in 9th and coming from a background in a sport that only gave out medals for top 3 - I immediately assumed I hadn't got any sort of prize and went out and played a casual round (shot 62). Didn't find out how disc golf did payouts until around a month later. Andy, the TD, still owes me that DX disc. (I've sporadically given him **** about it over the years)

A few other memories...
First round was mixed cards. Played with a real ass, won't say who - he still golfs frequently. At one point the Intermediate guy who was on our card, Chris Rob Wehner who was playing really well in his division, snapped at him "Why are you **** talking my shots, I'm not even in your division?!" I was throwing only 3 discs at the time, a Z Reaper, Glow #2 Driver, and a Z Putt'R, guy was making fun of my use of the #2 Driver instead of the Z Reaper (which I only used overhand, and I couldn't straighten out on a backhand). Just silly ****. Overall I remember that round really positively nowadays because over the years Chris Rob became one of my favorite people to throw with, and being able to say I met him during my first tournament round ever is really cool.

Second round held a really cool memory too - I'd never witnessed an ace before. On hole 13 from the shorts Justin Gossman, who I believe still posts here (???) hit either his first ace OR his first money ace, can't remember exactly. He threw a big looping thumber that crashed home. I played a number of events with him over the course of that summer while I was playing in the rec division, another really cool person!

At that tournament I also had my first interactions with Chris Hoyle, who won the Open division - I've got almost 15 years of memories of road trips with him, I golf all the time now with his son who just graduated high school last month. The same goes for Tim Grabowski, who DNF'd that tournament because he took a giant chunk out of his toe retrieving a disc from a pond 1st round (sharp rocks) - since meeting him that day we've been on numerous road trips, and at one point were shooting pool every day for a good few years.

I managed to get my revenge on the course. My results in October of that year in Intermediate were much better... https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/5231 - 896/965 split. I improved a lot that first summer, I lost my vision in my eye and everyone felt sorry for me so I was able to play a lot of disc golf as an unemployed slacker for some months. 100+ hole days happened multiple times per week.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 226 Times in 135 Posts

I remember that day, and many other rounds with you Woj. I didn't play many PDGA events, in fact PDGA says it was only 3 but I can find my name in at least 5. Funny thing about that ace, was my first one ever and being a college kid, I thought I'd be better off saving my money and not buy into the ace pool. It was hole 13 at the time, 229' I threw a dx beast backhand, missed the basket high and right and the wind stalled it out and flopped into the backside of the basket. Probably the best DG related feeling.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I remember that day, and many other rounds with you Woj. I didn't play many PDGA events, in fact PDGA says it was only 3 but I can find my name in at least 5. Funny thing about that ace, was my first one ever and being a college kid, I thought I'd be better off saving my money and not buy into the ace pool. It was hole 13 at the time, 229' I threw a dx beast backhand, missed the basket high and right and the wind stalled it out and flopped into the backside of the basket. Probably the best DG related feeling.
It was a backhand? Holy cow, how bad is my memory. I completely thought it was an overhand throw! Well on the bright side it was the day of $1 ace pools, and only a 50ish person tourney - so its not like now-a-days with our $5 ace pools and a big ol payout!

I will never ever forget our disc golf marathon day. There was so much rain. Just so much. That was probably the day I fully realized as a disc golf addict.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 311 Times in 129 Posts

My first tournament was in the summer of 2017. I had been playing since August ‘15 but had only gotten somewhat serious the previous fall.I had been laid up with an illness off and on all spring, so it felt good just to play.

I played intermediate and found myself on the second round lead card thanks primarily to my ability to consistently par holes and to an ace on a short lefty hyzer hole (I threw only LHBH then). I still get a kick that I aced with an Innova Panther when I throw Zone on that hole now. My card was ecstatic about the ace — even more so than me. That was cool to experience and speaks to the communal nature of DG tournaments.

I crapped the bed in the second round. Me and another guy on the lead card shot the worst R2s from a field of 18-20. The two guys who came in 1st and 2nd are now regularly competitive in Advanced. I’m still a mid-pack Intermediate player.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 993 Times in 651 Posts

Mine was a doubles event in 2012 at McCurry Park in Fayetteville, GA. My partner was the guy who introduced me to disc golf.

We got second to last, but I met a guy who would later help me revitalize a worn down course. Also got to meet Matt Dollar and John Matlack who were good examples of how to aspire to throw.

I only had an overhand shot for distance back then and couldn’t throw a backhand much over 220, OH about 320 and no FH to speak of yet. My bag was a drawstring bag with a Champ Groove, Pro Wraith, Pro Destroyer, DX Teebird, DX Shark, and a Champ Rhyno.

Still have many of those discs but haven’t thrown any of them in years. I think we **** something like +4 and +5, I shoot in between -3 and -8 on that course solo now...

Come a long long way since that first one.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

I played a BYOP dubs winter tournament for my first one. A guy I know called last minute when his partner bailed. It was probably single digit temps, icy, about a foot of snow most parts of the course. If I recall I threw a QJLS for pretty much every tee shot. The course, whispering falls in PA, is very wooded for the most part, but no sharp doglegs. I think i threw that QJ, and a glow aviar P&A for most shots that day. It was working so why throw anything else?!

We came in first in our division, I had a great time, and learned that some people take tournaments waaaaay too seriously. Even a BYOP dubs ice bowl had people getting bent out of shape. I just tried to have some fun, play off my partner’s strengths, and stick a great putt as often as I could. We won and he was still critical of his performance.

The following year we came in second to last. Still had fun though.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 1341
Niced 606 Times in 235 Posts

Everybody want's my experience. But you can't have it. It's mine!

Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 PM
Par Member

Niced 169 Times in 60 Posts

Imagine my disappointment when I learned that there is no actual fire involved in a ring of fire.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 167
Niced 215 Times in 99 Posts

The more prepared I am for a tournament the more confident I am with my game. Much putting before a tournament is always a plus.