Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Disc Dyeing

Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dyeing a clear disc solid - Please advise

Good evening dgcr dye pros!

I have a clear cryztal buzzz that I want to dye solid orange or green. Yes yes blasphemy and all, but it's a misprint and I really want to throw this disc, but with it being clear I've basically convinced myself I'll lose it right away due to it being invisible. I've comissioned my wife to pick me up some rit powder dye, have located a pan I don't mind potentially ruining, and have read up on all the basics of prepping and executing the dye job. I do have a few questions though. Since the disc is totally clear I'd like to dye the top and the bottom so the color is uniform and I think it will pop a bit more. I guess I'm just not quite sure how to totally submerge the disc without either the top of the disc or the bottom of the wing touching the pan. This will be my first attempt at dyeing so I'd really hate to fubar this beautiful disc in the process. So that's it. How can I totally submerge the disc without parts touching the pan? At the low temp on the burner can the parts touch without warping the disc dramatically? Should I just alternate upside down and downside up and match the colors instead of total submersion? Should I consider just dyeing the top or bottom vs the whole disc? Any tips tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make hot water (not boiling). Add hot water to a pan. Add powder. Fully submerge disc.

I'm sure you're looking for more reasoning, I'll see if I can do anything.

You could dye the dome first (by floating like a normal dye). Then add dye to fill bottom cavity after the dome is done?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you decided on a color yet. Greens is as bad as clear to try to find,and you know when your done dyeing it will still be clear/seethrough .right.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default clear to solid

I have decided to go with orange for that exact reason moon. And yes I was actually hoping it would still be transparent, just not clear. I'm going for orange champion not orange star, but I still have the problem with total submersion. Again I'm afraid that if I sink it upside down that the dome will rest on the bottom of the pan and either warp or not take the color as well as the rest of the disc. If I flip it to dome up then sink it then it may work a bit better but I'm afraid there will be a ring where the bottom of the wing rests or it too could warp. I'm just not sure how to get uniform color over the whole disc. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm just over thinking it, but I'd much rather lose the disc as is than ruin it in the dye pot. Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

you just have to constantly be moving the disc. i use tongs and flip it around in the dye for about 20 mins
Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can also mix the rit with hot water out of the tap in a two liter bottle. Just set the disc on a hockey puck or chew tin something like that then pour the mix over it until it is fully submerses . Let sit for 5 minutes turn over let stand for 5 moor repeat until your happy with it then rinse in cold water. If you line your pan with a trash bag its a easy clean up too. Good luck
Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_peebody View Post
you just have to constantly be moving the disc. i use tongs and flip it around in the dye for about 20 mins
Wow...massive /facepalm after that reply, thanks a ton a_p. And fwiw your 101 threads are really what got me to take this on and actually get this disc off the shelf and into the bag with a dye. I'm strongly considering the grocery bags marble method after I get it solid.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

good to see someone uses the search feature
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloway View Post
I have decided to go with orange for that exact reason ...
I'm a proponent of pink discs. Orange can be tough to see in fall leaves in afternoon sunlight. Never have an issue finding bright pink discs though.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:32 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright here's the finished product, please excuse the picture quality as I'm doing this all from my phone. Used the tangerine rit and let it soak for about an hour. I started with glass clear and now it's darker than regular orange, blood orange if you will, but I'm still very pleased with the results. Thanks again for all the input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disc.jpg (132.5 KB, 62 views)