Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Echo Star Valkyrie

Just noticed that this disc was available. Has anyone tried one yet? I love this Echo * Material and was thinking of getting one, but it seems them only come as light as 169. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcDiscGolf View Post
Just noticed that this disc was available. Has anyone tried one yet? I love this Echo * Material and was thinking of getting one, but it seems them only come as light as 169. Thoughts?
clearwater has sandstrom Valk echo *'s down to 156 or 159

http://www.clearwaterdiscgolfstore.c...ob73enusb290v7

I have a 166 - they kick ace

Last edited by EL-KABONG; 09-22-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcDiscGolf View Post

You do realize that Echo plastic is simply Star plastic discs that couldn't be sold and are recycled back into the mix and reused. So there should be no difference between Echo plastic and regular Star plastic, except for being a "greener" disc.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keokuk Discer View Post
You do realize that Echo plastic is simply Star plastic discs that couldn't be sold and are recycled back into the mix and reused. So there should be no difference between Echo plastic and regular Star plastic, except for being a "greener" disc.
My understanding was that they were actually constructed from "bits and pieces" left over after molding star discs.

In any event, I may be crazy, but the echo star feels grippier to me that regular star.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default E* plastic

Dave Dunipace (Founder and President of Innova) has a thread on another site and he said that E* plastic is made from plastic bits...not unsold discs. Also, they are grippier and in many cases have a much larger dome. In theory, they glide a lot more at low speed. I too am a HUGE fan. I have E* Destroyer, E* Katana, and E* Mako. They are all great discs and much preferred to normal Star...at least to me
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yep grippier, usually more dome, and more glide per my perception. I love my Echo Star Dart (which is drastically different than the Star Dart) and my Echo Star Boss which is domier and glidier than my Star Boss.

El-Kabong, playing with you is like going to the driving range I get to try out all the new discs (Like that GL Vision I gave a good talking to the other day)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keokuk Discer View Post
the echo is actually the leftover scraps from their runs, not melted plastic
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 28
Niced 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.trenton View Post
the echo is actually the leftover scraps from their runs, not melted plastic
Exactly !
Leftover Star plastic scraps.
Its exactly the same plastic as all the other Star plastic discs.
It's not any more grippy than regular Star is.
Molding and cooling differences have produced some anomalies, like super domes on some models, which result in flight characteristics different from the original models, and these differences vary greatly between models.
For example, older E* Destroyers were super stable compared to the regular Star runs, but E* Boss's are less stable than the regular runs, but the plastic is exactly the same as any other Star disc.

The most grippy driver plastic out there is still the gummy, pearly, milky, Champion stuff, its almost sticky. I think these discs had some Star plastic mixed in with the Champ stuff, like an experiment, before Star discs were actually released.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

It was my understanding that Echo was a mixture of Star and Pro plastic, left over plastic pellets from other runs, melted rejected discs, so on and so forth, but the two plastics mixed together nonetheless.

As for the Echo Star Valkyrie, very flippy when compared to the regular Star Valkyrie, but still controllable once you have thrown it a few times. For bigger arms it would be a nice hyzer flip disc with better control than a Pro Katana. It cannot get the same distance as a Champion Katana on the same line, but when given enough hyzer and you let it sweep across the field, the E Star Valkyrie is sweet to watch. They seem to work best when you are throwing from elevation and hyzer it downwards, making sure you give enough hyzer and nose down where it does not flip.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I've only thrown one Echo Star Valk, however, my findings were completely opposite than smarkquart's. I had a red domey 175g e*valk that was very very stable. The stability it had was close to that of a QOLF and it never flew far for me at all. Compared to my other Star Valks, it flew about 20-30' shorter and compared to my DX Valks about 40-50'. It didn't fly like a Valk should for me, so I traded it off.

I did like the feel of the plastic, but I throw discs for their flight, not feel.