Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
No offense, but you cost you a dozen strokes.
let me guess youre a macho hard putt zero finesse guy
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I dropped my Mach X off at a local brewery recently for the putting league. Currently the weekly putting league is using my Mach X, my Discraft Chainstair(MachV) and an Innova portable. Some people prefer the Chainstar over the Mach X because they appear confused by the massive amount of chains. I think the Mach X does a great job and have only seen one good putt come out. That putt was an arc dead center that actually hit chains below the basket portion and jump straight backwards and out. It seems to catch and hold good putts and even snags some poor putts.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,035 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
let me guess youre a macho hard putt zero finesse guy
Actually my putts are pretty floaty. My point was that we shouldn't be so quick to blame equipment for our poor play. Even Matt said some of those putts were "weaksauce."

Of course, it's sometimes hard to admit, but if we had a better approach game, we wouldn't even need to putt more than a couple feet.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 133
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I've had the opportunity to putt at Mach Xs a lot and if you're hitting solid chain and missing then it must be the most floaty putt in the world. I can get close range drives to stay in those chains so they definitely won't kick out hard putts. The oly thing ove noticed is that they catch on the weak side poorly on poor putts, but everything else grabs great
Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 32
Niced 44 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
What do you putt with and how stiff or floppy is your putter?
Spushing with a glow magic
Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
No offense, but you cost you a dozen strokes.
I believe if those same shots where at any other brand/style of basket, most would have stayed in.
That is the reason for my feelings and statement, of this particular basket model.
I may not be the best putter around, and could probably learn to adjust my putting style.

Last edited by mattc; 03-10-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 221
Niced 326 Times in 167 Posts

I haven't played on X's yet, but I just played Camp Sekani Jamboree in Spokane Washinton with some locals, which has Vortex baskets. The locals have mixed feelings about these massively chained monstrosities. I personally didn't like them all that much, but their better than the other side of the chain count spectrum. I putt with average speed, but my 156 Wizards were too light to push their way in a few times. We all had a few missed putts would probably gone in on regular innova or dga baskets. I believe it's a step in the wrong direction if soft putts or light putters can't push their way into the basket.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 76
Niced 84 Times in 56 Posts

De Laveaga is getting all new Mach X's this weekend!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 39 Times in 18 Posts

I went to Delaveaga today and practiced putting on several of the brand new Mach Xs, they were just installed yesterday.

I am a spin putter and putt with good velocity, no soft floaters.

I think the effective chain area for making putts on a Mach X is smaller than other baskets. On other baskets you stand some chance of making the putt when you drift out to the outer chains, either on the right or left side. With Mach Xs, putts that hit on the outside chains just get pushed away.

I also noticed that putts that hit high up on the chains do not fall into the basket, they get rejected backwards, on other baskets some percentage of the high putts will drop into the basket.

So outside hits and high hits are much less likely to fall into the cage with Mach Xs.

And Mach Xs are visually quite different, the cage seems huge and appears to reach up higher into the chains, though I imagine the PDGA specs would not permit any change in the distance between the cage rim and the top rim of the basket.

And when you walk up and inspect the basket, it is pretty wild how some of the chain strands are bound together with clips, I assume this is to prevent the putter from slicing through the chain strands and popping out the back, especially on hyzer angle putts. But clipping chains together means the action on the hanging chains will be different, and that difference will be part of the reason that some putts get pushed back or pushed aside, if all the chains were hanging independent of each other like on other baskets, more putts could dig into the chains and hold versus getting pushed back or aside.

Based on my first outing with Mach Xs, I do think heavier putters and more speed will help.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Ok, so it's not just my weak putting style, because that describes my experience very well