Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Jawbreaker Roach was not kind to me today. 5 roll aways in a single round, most 20-30'. Worst was a 15' putt that hit dead center on the poll, bounced out, rolled 30' away. I have noticed that JB plastic is really bouncy when it get warm.
Lots of discs do that to us on occasion. Unless it becomes a chronic problem, chalk it up to a bad day...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 225
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 55 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Anyone have a Voodoo and a Roach lying around? Trying to find the disc closest in profile to the Roach, but beaded. (Not planning on switching putting putters, just toying with the idea.)
I'm almost convinced the Roach and the DGA Steady BL (beadless) are the same disc. The Steady BL might have a slightly higher shoulder, and the PLH might be a 1/2 mm different, but they look and fly the same. This leads me to assume the beaded Steady, the Steady, is the beaded Roach you're seeking.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 911 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
I'm almost convinced the Roach and the DGA Steady BL (beadless) are the same disc. The Steady BL might have a slightly higher shoulder, and the PLH might be a 1/2 mm different, but they look and fly the same. This leads me to assume the beaded Steady, the Steady, is the beaded Roach you're seeking.
Never held a Steady BL but from the DGA's website it looks to have the same channel (like the Steady or the Challenger) on the wing. If not that, it is definitely flat, where the Roach is convex.

That said, I like the Steady, but I don't see me dropping the Roach anytime soon. If they stop or limit production and plastic blends, I can always switch to the Luna...which I am almost convinced is the same mold as the Roach. I've had several people hold the two, and they couldn't tell the difference either.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 764 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I don't see me dropping the Roach anytime soon. If they stop or limit production and plastic blends, I can always switch to the Luna...which I am almost convinced is the same mold as the Roach. I've had several people hold the two, and they couldn't tell the difference either.
I compared a Roach and Luna on a countertop at a shop the other day and couldn't tell much difference, if any. I haven't purchased a new Luna but I felt like the proto was a touch more stable than a JB Roach.

Found a black, 176g JB Roach a couple weeks ago and I'm digging it. It just feels slightly different than my others, maybe a touch firmer. I know where another black one is so I'm gonna grab it and hoard them when I can find them.

Still digging the JB Roach as a S/US thrower too.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 431 Times in 262 Posts

Anyways, what's up with those ESP Roaches I was hearing about. Big Z is cool & all but ESP is the realness.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 185 Times in 105 Posts

Someone want to give me a rundown on the different roach plastics? Thinking of trying it for throwing/approach
Old 04-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 185 Times in 105 Posts

So I picked up a jawbreaker roach in person the other day. Absolutely love the feel of the rim design. Lost it on my third throw unfortunately. Got my TI roach in the mail today and it has the same great feeling rim but the shoulder on it is ridiculous high and rounded. Makes it feels super domey and deep. Which leads me to my next question. What plastics tend to be lower profile/more flat or is it just kind of all over the place? Unfortunately I don’t really have any local shops so I can’t feel before I buy.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
So I picked up a jawbreaker roach in person the other day. Absolutely love the feel of the rim design. Lost it on my third throw unfortunately. Got my TI roach in the mail today and it has the same great feeling rim but the shoulder on it is ridiculous high and rounded. Makes it feels super domey and deep. Which leads me to my next question. What plastics tend to be lower profile/more flat or is it just kind of all over the place? Unfortunately I don’t really have any local shops so I can’t feel before I buy.
Can't speak for all molds, but the Colt and Stud both molded up a bit more domey in Star and Champ plastics than their XT and DX counterparts.. So there my be something in premium plastics molding up differently than base plastics.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Can't speak for all molds, but the Colt and Stud both molded up a bit more domey in Star and Champ plastics than their XT and DX counterparts.. So there my be something in premium plastics molding up differently than base plastics.
DX Stud has the same dome the average modern DX Gator has. The DX Gator is about the same as a G Star Gator.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 787 Times in 456 Posts

On Jomez "Skins Match" part 2 Paul made the teeshot on hole 10 with a Big-Z Roach. .have not seen him throw a Roach before