Old 06-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts
Default Starting Disc Golf Club for Middle School...

Next year at the middle school where I teach 7th grade Math we are starting various clubs (to be held during the school day) geared towards student's interest or that introduce students to areas/sports/topics they've never had the opportunity to explore before.

So two other teachers and I are going to start a disc golf club in hopes of allowing these 11, 12, and 13 year olds to discover the love for this sport at a young age, instead of waiting until age 50 like I did. It is my hope that the club also appeals to students like my son...those who aren't the most athletic but want to be involved in a sport (he's tried tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer, indoor soccer, and lacrosse---hates all the running in those sports). It will depend on interest but we are hoping to reach 35 to 45 students each year!

We are looking for some guidance and opinions on how best to get a portable, but decent, basket and discs on little (or currently no) budget?

Just looking for advice on how best to get started with these young people!

Thank you!!!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 107
Niced 198 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Next year at the middle school where I teach 7th grade Math we are starting various clubs (to be held during the school day) geared towards student's interest or that introduce students to areas/sports/topics they've never had the opportunity to explore before.

So two other teachers and I are going to start a disc golf club in hopes of allowing these 11, 12, and 13 year olds to discover the love for this sport at a young age, instead of waiting until age 50 like I did. It is my hope that the club also appeals to students like my son...those who aren't the most athletic but want to be involved in a sport (he's tried tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer, indoor soccer, and lacrosse---hates all the running in those sports). It will depend on interest but we are hoping to reach 35 to 45 students each year!

We are looking for some guidance and opinions on how best to get a portable, but decent, basket and discs on little (or currently no) budget?

Just looking for advice on how best to get started with these young people!

Thank you!!!

TripleB
Most of us on DGCR seem to be decent humans. Give us an address, I'll bet some of us would be willing to send you some discs.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 109
Niced 695 Times in 383 Posts

Contact your local DG clubs. They may have piles of used discs they would be willing to donate, and/or folks that would be willing to volunteer to help you out.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 105
Niced 148 Times in 74 Posts

http://edgediscgolf.org/

Old 06-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 180 Times in 118 Posts

That's the age I started when I found the sport years ago.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 262 Times in 181 Posts

Got a high school with a decent shop class nearby? Might be able to get them to make a basket then more folks are learning!

Short of that, I’d ship you a couple appropriate, but used, discs. The baskets Costco sells don’t catch great, but they are cheap, easy to move and store, fairly weather resistant (one of mine is on 3 years in the yard now and only faded) and a target to throw at.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Contact your local DG clubs. They may have piles of used discs they would be willing to donate, and/or folks that would be willing to volunteer to help you out.
THIS.

Our club has a lost and found and any disc that has sat for 3 months gets donated. Also if you contact the club they may help with buying some baskets. Our club just partnered with a school. The school provided the land and mowing and we provided the baskets, concrete, signs, and labor. Now everybody wins because the City has a 4th public course and the school has a course on site (and receives some free discs too).