Old 03-16-2020, 10:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 881 Times in 325 Posts

Somebody had some fun with his Wikipedia page

Quote:
Brodie Smith (born August 29, 1987) is a former American Ultimate Disc League player and YouTube personality, best known for his frisbee trick shot videos.

Bogey rose to prominence as a premier ultimate player
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2020, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumphkin View Post
...why these top dg pros are all bending over and offering up their brown eye pre-lubricated for this fairly bland, uninteresting brodie guy who has a mediocre youtube channel with an admittedly impressive couple mill following it... am I missing something? It's not even remotely interesting to watch him throw a disc, and it's amazing how much grovelling the mcbeths and pierces and memorials are offering this individual... no?
Someone apparently doesn't get freaky, or sick, you know bro?
Old 03-16-2020, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,131 Times in 961 Posts

Please, no more Brodie threads. Thanks.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,724 Times in 2,960 Posts

Its like I said early in this thread...

A rising tide lifts all boats.

It's not that hard to understand when you think about it in terms of the "influencer" side of today's pop culture and social media. The guy has a lot of followers(Probably more than all the DG content creators combined) and followers bring attention. Discraft wants a piece of that action and can you blame them? Even if only 1% of his YT subs start playing DG and buying DC discs... that's a crapload of plastic sold. The DGPT does also and is hoping it will help grow viewership.

Most of the pros I've met are really nice people and maybe they just like him and/or think helping him will help grow their brands.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 17
Niced 250 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
...why these top dg pros are all bending over and offering up their brown eye pre-lubricated for this fairly bland, uninteresting brodie guy who has a mediocre youtube channel with an admittedly impressive couple mill following it... am I missing something? It's not even remotely interesting to watch him throw a disc, and it's amazing how much grovelling the mcbeths and pierces and memorials are offering this individual... no?
I'm loving his journey. There's a bit of a daydreaming element to it for me, I think. Here's what happens when somebody (with some relevant skills and athletic talent) gets built into a disc golfing machine by the top pros. It's a very interesting experiment, and it's also compelling because he's actually on that crazy fast track.

I can relate to his mistakes, his realizations, his superstitions, his nerves, and to all of the elements of his progress (except being able to throw really far). I like when he discovers something that I'm also discovering. I like to root for him.

I like that my favorite players are welcoming him into the sport and wishing for him to succeed. I'm going to buy their discs and watch their videos to show them that. I'm going to watch Drew Gibson's content because he's so gracious to Brodie, for instance. If I wasn't already a McBeth mark, I would become one for the same reason.

Bottom line, it's compelling, I'm "with him on the journey," and the pros who see that and embrace it are going to get my respect and my buck. Maybe that's not you, but that's okay.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Niced 621 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
am I missing something?

the digital economy
a compelling narrative

or maybe a simpler explanation in the case of McBeth: sponsorship

i wasn't surprised to see a dozen videos with Paul following his signing with Discraft. Paul seems like a nice guy but i'm sure his participation was required.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:11 AM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 35
Niced 45 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
Paul seems like a nice guy but i'm sure his participation was required.
McBeth would be an idiot to not want to do the videos. He's been hustling and building his personal brand for ages and suddenly has an opportunity to present it to potentially 2 million pairs of new eyeballs. Why would he pass that up?

Not to say that was the only motivation.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,539 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet Discraft is $trongly encouraging them all to play nice with Brodie in return for the exposure Brodie gives the Discraft brand via his social media channels.

"for this fairly bland, uninteresting brodie guy" I'm guessing the number of disc golf players that could shoot 980 rated rounds in their first pro tournament at 30+ years of age after only a few months taking the game serious, at one of the tougher courses on the tour, is very, very small. That makes the guy fairly interesting in my book.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-17-2020, 08:24 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 252 Times in 140 Posts

What’s with all the Brodie hate? He’s been in the Ultimate game forever and was a legend at it. Seems like a bunch of disc golfers would respect that if they also want people to respect their budding sport too.

Also the content has been great. Not bland.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:36 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 11
Niced 25 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
What’s with all the Brodie hate? He’s been in the Ultimate game forever and was a legend at it. Seems like a bunch of disc golfers would respect that if they also want people to respect their budding sport too.

Also the content has been great. Not bland.
i respect his achievements in ultimate. tho his following in youtube is overexaggerated 10 fold. noone of his discgolf videos has over 200k viewers. ultimate players are drawn to discgolf by them self and i think there is another audience that doesnt even know discgolf exist. we need exposure to those people.