* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 77 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
Except that it's about $60 too expensive
??? I don’t understand? It’s $20 cheaper than the link you posted. And MACH IIs are super sturdy. Good chain and supporting hooks. Plus all galvanized. OP can come over and test these if needed.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 12:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 45 Times in 27 Posts

Shipping will nudge him over budget... now about 40 buckaroos.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Shipping will nudge him over budget... now about 40 buckaroos.
FREE shipping @ Discgolfcenter.com

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...duct.php?p=842
Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 45 Times in 27 Posts

The main difference between a MACH 2 and the DB5 is ease of disassembly. The OP says he'd like to take it down and transport it in his vehicle. The DB5 has knobs on the end of the assembly screws that make take down and assembly without tools quick and easy. Although the MACH 2 can be disassembled and reassembled, it would require tools and multiple screws at each point. Simply stated, the DB5 is easier to take down, transport in a vehicle and reassemble. The OP would need to determine how much that means to him. It meant a lot to me at the time of my purchase when I traveled every week. GGGT will charge him shipping. $240 for the basket + about $45 shipping and then taxes... probably a little over $300 for the DB5, but IMO, worth it.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck View Post
Portability can get cumbersome if you are going to be taking them in your car frequently. But if only a few times a year, they do break down with a few bolts removed.
…as previously stated.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 3
Niced 29 Times in 21 Posts

This is a difficult choice, as there are so many good baskets available today. Personally, I have the Discatcher Sport, and it was great right out of the box. However, I have modified it and added chains to where it is not as portable as it once was.

Just curious, is having two baskets out of the question? I really like the Mach II basket, and it would certainly handle the weather, and is your M-14 easy to take down for transport? Just a thought. I have my Discatcher Sport set up permanently in the basement, for Iowa winters, and if I didn't live only 5 minutes away from a disc golf course, I would be buying a second basket to have in my yard. Hope you let us know what you wind up buying.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 45 Times in 31 Posts

I have 4 discatcher sports. They stay outside all year in rain/snow/sun. My oldest one 7 years old is just showing some small rust spots, some fading paint on my pink one 2 years old because of the sun bright pink is now a salmon color. Other than those minor issues these catch great I use them all the time for hosting clinics, extra putting baskets at tournaments, and some temp courses. I have a pickup truck with a cap and i just leave the screw between the basket and pole for the chains loose it lets me take the top chain portion with pole and slide the pole through the basket to easily transport the basket in 2 pieces. Great value and quality in my opinion
Old 11-20-2017, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 717 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
The main difference between a MACH 2 and the DB5 is ease of disassembly. The OP says he'd like to take it down and transport it in his vehicle. The DB5 has knobs on the end of the assembly screws that make take down and assembly without tools quick and easy. Although the MACH 2 can be disassembled and reassembled, it would require tools and multiple screws at each point. Simply stated, the DB5 is easier to take down, transport in a vehicle and reassemble. The OP would need to determine how much that means to him. It meant a lot to me at the time of my purchase when I traveled every week. GGGT will charge him shipping. $240 for the basket + about $45 shipping and then taxes... probably a little over $300 for the DB5, but IMO, worth it.
I agree that, at least head to head with a Mach II, the DB5 has advantages IF your priority is portability. But I think the assembly/disassembly issue is a bit overstated. the Mach II only needs three bolts (base, basket, chain assembly) and can be assembled by hand if you're okay with the nuts only being finger tightened. To me, that's good enough for the occasions where I'd only have it out and assembled for a few hours before it would go back in the car.

To me, where the DB5 really is better is that the pole breaks down into two pieces and everything fits into the basket giving it a smaller storage footprint. The Mach II has just one pole, which if you have a smaller car or trunk space, can be more of an issue in transportation.

For my money, I think the Recruit or the Black Hole is the best bang for the buck. The lone drawback to the Recruit is that it requires an Allen wrench to tighten/loosen the bolts (tough to finger tighten) whereas the Black Hole does not require tools. On the other hand, the Recruit's base has a wheel for easier movement when it is fully assembled where the Black Hole does not. Both targets have two-piece poles so the storage footprint is minimal. They also both come with two layers of chains standard, so no need to add inner chains like you would with a DB5.

Looks like MVP is running a Black Friday special on their Black Hole pro that includes free shipping. Dynamic always ships for free on orders through their store. So no added costs on that end (if you order this week, anyway).
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

I'm definitely OK with my nuts being finger tightened. using tools seems a little excessive.....

Niced: (1)

Old 11-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 30
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

DISCatcher Sport $175