Old 11-22-2017, 04:32 PM

Courses Played: 8
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

After watching one of my buddies step in a tick bomb and get literally covered in them at my local course, I always ask myself how much I'll really miss that disc if I can't find it pretty quickly...

Going along with that, even the most erratic throw from a disc you aren't that fond of will always land in a nice clear spot of the rough. Your favorite disc can land 1ft from the fairway and become invisible.

Im hoping now that the weather is cooler and some brush is thinning I'll be able to find a couple discs that went astray this summer. I miss my hot pink buzzz
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 127 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureAngus View Post
After watching one of my buddies step in a tick bomb and get literally covered in them at my local course, I always ask myself how much I'll really miss that disc if I can't find it pretty quickly...

Going along with that, even the most erratic throw from a disc you aren't that fond of will always land in a nice clear spot of the rough. Your favorite disc can land 1ft from the fairway and become invisible.

Im hoping now that the weather is cooler and some brush is thinning I'll be able to find a couple discs that went astray this summer. I miss my hot pink buzzz

dejavu
Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 127 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:

dejavu all over again!

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Critters most certainly do not bother me. When I was a kid I used to swim the golf course ponds looking for golf balls to sell and get into the disc golf course ponds to retrieve discs but I usually kept those. I used to do a lot of backpacking and have slept in some crazy places in some crazy conditions. I've almost been bitten by a timber rattle snake and have come across more copperheads than I can count. I would literally belly crawl through hell's fury looking for a disc I like. Its a feel thing for me. Sure the disc can be replaced, but losing a vital disc that is broken in perfectly really sucks!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
One tip I'd give to players is to ditch the headphones/earbuds. If you can't hear it is much more difficult to judge where exactly your shots go, especially if you're out practicing and throwing multiple shots. Being able to hear is huge because it gives you context in where your disc is going.
This. I think people need to pay close attention to the sound a disc makes after it goes out of sight. You can often tell the difference between a solid tree hit and one that is more of a deflection. You can hear it hit the ground or something concrete sometimes or whether or not it landed in leaves. If you hear nothing, its probably stuck up in a tree. If you hear someone scram you may have hit a person, LOL. That combined with walking back to the tee pad to visualize the route are the best clues for me to find the wayward disc. As I've gotten older, my ability to judge distances have gone down hill but my hearing is still excellent.

Or, I call this one friend who has this uncanny ability to walk right in to a lost disc situation and find it in like 2 minutes.

Sorry for the long post but one more thing. If it's a course you play allot, you'll start to see a pattern of where discs tend to collect i.e. certain ditches and walls of vines etc. I always look there first. If I don't find my disc, I'll sometimes find someone elses'.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 121
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bag has transit
Old 11-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Courses Played: 8
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post

Or, I call this one friend who has this uncanny ability to walk right in to a lost disc situation and find it in like 2 minutes.
I've played a round or two with guys like that. They don't even see the throw but magically find it under a pile of leaves deep in the rough in about 30 seconds
Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 8 Times in 3 Posts

I'll second the recommendation to listen. Once I threw deep into the tall grass and I'm sure the only reason I found the disc was because I heard it hit one of the only downed logs laying out there.

Also, for some reason many of my lost discs end up being in a better position than I thought. Closer to the basket or fairway than I thought, sometimes by quite a bit. I think this is mental. I must assume that since I threw away from the line I wanted, it must be a bad shot and I start looking farther away from the fairway/green than I should.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 149
Niced 179 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
I've played a round or two with guys like that. They don't even see the throw but magically find it under a pile of leaves deep in the rough in about 30 seconds
I play with that guy almost every round.

2 weeks ago he pulled another buddy's disc out of the pond at night after about 20 seconds of poking around with a stick. Disc had no light and the Finder didn't even watch the throw.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 46 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I play with that guy almost every round.

2 weeks ago he pulled another buddy's disc out of the pond at night after about 20 seconds of poking around with a stick. Disc had no light and the Finder didn't even watch the throw.
Conspiracy, time to call Alex Jones lol. That is actually pretty lucky IMO.