Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 497 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
We did 237 in 19 hours. 1000 sounds pretty ambitious How much time would you spare for sleep each day? Cant really go without, or it will be agony. Got to have fun doing it.

Even with 600+ courses in Finland, they are not necessarily right next to each other. And you have to avoid the busy courses at rush hour too.
I think Finland could challenge the Twin Cities for the Different Holes in One Civil Twilight record. Here is a graph showing the courses in the Twin Cities and at the same scale, a place in Finland centered on 61.10914, 23.93552 that has slightly more holes.

The size of each dot represents the number of holes at the same course in the Twin Cities, and the number of holes in the same city for Finland.

Note the footprint is about the same. Plus, you’ll have 3 hours and 43 minutes more daylight to work with.

As for busy courses, just yell "setting a world record" and play through. You'll be gone before anyone has time to get too angry.
Attached Images
File Type: png MNvFinland.png (21.7 KB, 107 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2017, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 654 Times in 394 Posts

Does playing long and short tees count as 2 different holes?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Does playing long and short tees count as 2 different holes?
No one who has claimed the record has done that. Unique tee to unique target is one unique hole. Permanent enough that someone could come along later and play the same hole.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 233
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

1K in 3 days? Sounds like a vacation...

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM

Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I know a guy who does speed golf. He said he once played Idlewild short 18 in 38min. My legs hurt just thinking about it...
I did Idlewild in 34min this year, all 24 holes. The next two took 41 and 42 so I barely managed 3 rounds in 2 hours. Best times in Cinci area courses:
Lincoln: 26 min 24 holes
Airy: 25 min 20 holes
Osage: 22 min 18 holes
Woodland: 11 min 18 holes
Amelia: 6 min 9 holes
Williamsburg: 13 min 20 holes
Owensville 4.3 min 9 holes
All of these could be beat pretty easily if I was in better shape. Point is, a good athlete could do a hole per minute on an average course all day long. 1000 in 3 days is certainly reachable, from a physical standpoint. Routing and travel are the only problems.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 106 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I think Finland could challenge the Twin Cities for the Different Holes in One Civil Twilight record. Here is a graph showing the courses in the Twin Cities and at the same scale, a place in Finland centered on 61.10914, 23.93552 that has slightly more holes.

The size of each dot represents the number of holes at the same course in the Twin Cities, and the number of holes in the same city for Finland.

Note the footprint is about the same. Plus, you’ll have 3 hours and 43 minutes more daylight to work with.

As for busy courses, just yell "setting a world record" and play through. You'll be gone before anyone has time to get too angry.
Dude. You are the graph king. Where did you get this? Alas, I have little trouble decoding without any reference point/scale. Here is a current map from the national registry in Finland:
https://frisbeegolfradat.fi/frisbeegolfradat-kartalla/ Your coordinates seem to be a little south of Tampere, and yeah it does look like there is a fair number of courses there. The epicenter is not too far away from where I live and looks kind of like extension of the most northern point we reached the last time around.

If there was a way to calculate the shortest/fastest route between these courses I might be persuaded to try and break the previous record. Challenge potentially accepted

Theres ample time to plan. 20th -23rd June is the time Tampere area has the most hours of sunlight (19,5 hours, as that is Midsummer/Solstice). That would have to be it. Of course, north of Rovaniemi you would have 24hrs of sunlight but the number of courses is drastically lower.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

As someone who has found great joys in running marathons and other endurance type activities, this does not appeal to me one bit.

Not counting the fact that my arm is shot after 36 holes in a day, this feels like too much work. I think it would give me something to dislike about the game, and that is something I'd like to avoid.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

I play 36 holes nearly every time I play, but this doesn't sound like fun to me.....
Old 11-24-2017, 11:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Dude. You are the graph king. Where did you get this? Alas, I have little trouble decoding without any reference point/scale. Here is a current map from the national registry in Finland:
https://frisbeegolfradat.fi/frisbeegolfradat-kartalla/ Your coordinates seem to be a little south of Tampere, and yeah it does look like there is a fair number of courses there. The epicenter is not too far away from where I live and looks kind of like extension of the most northern point we reached the last time around.

If there was a way to calculate the shortest/fastest route between these courses I might be persuaded to try and break the previous record. Challenge potentially accepted

Theres ample time to plan. 20th -23rd June is the time Tampere area has the most hours of sunlight (19,5 hours, as that is Midsummer/Solstice). That would have to be it. Of course, north of Rovaniemi you would have 24hrs of sunlight but the number of courses is drastically lower.
I got the names and cities of the courses from the same place. I looked up the coordinates of each city. Muonio, Inari, Imatra, and Vehmaa are near the corners of this chart.

What route did you take last time?

I’d need to get the actual longitude and latitude, #holes, city, and name of each course in Finland. Then we can pick a general area and a preliminary route. I can find the shortest route as the crow flies, and then we'd need to use Google maps to see how long the driving will take and adjust accordingly.

At that point, the record-seekers should start playing each course to verify it exists, learn where to park, etc.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 106 Times in 66 Posts

Oh wow. Those 4 cities cover almost all of Finland. To drive between the 4 would take already about 19hrs already I will talk to you on Facebook.