Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
'Ethics' are a personal decision.

However, you can see by reading the posts to this thread, you'd be wise to cover your ass and do things the 'right' way, by following the (established) process. Despite the fact this may be a public park, stakeholders often feel a sense of ownership disproportionate to their actual roles in the situation.

On the up side, you'll be graciously introduced into the wonderful world of DG politics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I played the nooner at JB this summer while in the area and heard this exact thing. With a club as established as you have, with course captains, its disheartening that a "pro" would make rogue changes to the course to benefit their own game.
That made me laugh pretty hard. We're famous.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Courses Played: 85
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

After a quick search, it looks like you are talking about Cabin Creek. Yes?

If so, then it is need of more than just a tree trim. The course map looks like an asterisk. I mean no ill will toward the designer, but it appears he was not very experienced in design. If there is ever a lot (3 groups would be enough) of traffic the course would be extremely dangerous.

I recommend approaching the designer and municipality about a redesign. You will like lose some length on the course, but it would make the course more attractive to play overall. There is likely an experienced designer close enough to consult with you on it. If you choose to do this, I can get a message out to the Disc Golf Designers groups and see who's in the area.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 103
Niced 493 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
All I see is a crappy warehouse in Secaucus, NJ that is 20 years past its point of condemnation.
Wow. What's it like having all the magic in the world be invisible to you?

http://5ptz.com/photos/

Ain't art something.

Last edited by ODRB; 11-10-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 103
Niced 493 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
All I see is a crappy warehouse in Secaucus, NJ that is 20 years past its point of condemnation.
Something tells me you find the obvious hyzer line every time you look at a hole. And then you stop looking.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:11 AM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retleftolc View Post
After a quick search, it looks like you are talking about Cabin Creek. Yes?

If so, then it is need of more than just a tree trim. The course map looks like an asterisk. I mean no ill will toward the designer, but it appears he was not very experienced in design. If there is ever a lot (3 groups would be enough) of traffic the course would be extremely dangerous.

I recommend approaching the designer and municipality about a redesign. You will like lose some length on the course, but it would make the course more attractive to play overall. There is likely an experienced designer close enough to consult with you on it. If you choose to do this, I can get a message out to the Disc Golf Designers groups and see who's in the area.

Yes it's cabin creek. It's not the best course but it is only a mile from my house. I don't think getting three or more groups out at once would be a problem because there is another course just a few minutes away that is 18 holes and is maintained much better. I rarely see anybody else out there and I'm there quite often

I don't see the city having any interest in a redesign because they won't take the effort to trim trees, replace the basket on 3 that patched together, or even put up signs marking which tee is which (1,3, and 5 are all close enough to be confusing).

I have taken my own time to walk the course moving larger limbs from the "fairways" and knocking other dangerous limbs out of trees. (Done this several times recently with the season changing)

I was just wanting to clear a couple of limbs that are about 1-1.5 inches thick and maybe 4 feet long that have grown down and blocked the alley on a double Mando (not the whole limb that is the size of a small tree), but looking at the replies here I think I'll ask the city first.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 93
Niced 59 Times in 38 Posts

I know it sounds like a pain especially for a course nobody seems to care about. But if you ask the right people and gain permission, you won't have to be looking over your shoulder to see who is going to get upset or come along and confront you.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Courses Played: 85
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

mrtho, I doubt the city would be interested in doing the redesign either. I’m recommending you come up with the plan and get approval to get it done yourself.

It may be best to start with opening lines of communication about course maintenance. Lots of cities will welcome the help, so long as you follow protocol. Once a relationship is established you can approach the redesign down the road.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 43
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Definitely don’t go rogue. Seek permission first. I’ve done a few courses and own a private course. I’ve had a couple buddies help me out a few times without me there and some trees I wanted to keep were cut down by accident. They had good intentions but I wasn’t too happy. Sometimes I would be debating on certain trees for months before I make final decision to keep or cut. Same goes with the parks I did. Gotta think years in advance on what it will look like
Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 45 Times in 27 Posts

If the course is owned by the city or county, get in touch with the parks department and either get permission from them or ask them to do it for you. The city I live in insists on doing it with city workers and equipment. It's safer that way and it is, after all, city property and the responsibility of the parks department.

I suggest walking the course with a camera and a note pad so you can get it all done at once. This way you get a new start on the course as well as make the trip and setup worthwhile for the parks department.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 23 Times in 13 Posts

We played the course in lamar almost every weekend in 2015 as part as our Saturday russ vegas trips . It needed a major trimming then. My advice to you is to never mention tree trimming on that course to anyone except the original course designer. trust me on this.