Old 11-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Par Member

Niced 35 Times in 29 Posts
Default Aggregate vs Sudden Death playoff

While watching the Next Gen coverage on Smashboxxx, there was a playoff during one of the rounds (no spoilers) and Feldbeef described it as an "aggregate" playoff where a certain number of holes would be played, such as 2 or 3, regardless of scoring on the first hole. If still tied after the set number of holes, it then goes in to sudden death playoff. I think of it as comparing college footballs overtime rules to NFL's older overtime rules.

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on that format. In this example, there would have been a different result if it would have been a sudden death format. I, for one, like this format as a spectator. It sucks when there is all this build up to a dramatic playoff, and then the first person throws OB right away.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 52
Niced 141 Times in 38 Posts

I don't mind sudden death. If the best I could do was to tie after 18 or 36 or 54 holes of play, then whatever ill befalls me in the playoff is my own fault. I could have made one more putt, or not spaced one more shot earlier in the event to avoid this.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 148 Times in 108 Posts
Default My 2 Cents

I prefer the additional pressure of sudden death, whether playing or viewing. Adds another dimension to the sport.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 340 Times in 212 Posts

If it's a run of the mill B or C tier, sudden death and let's gtfo.

If it's a big A tier or NT or something, I like the idea of aggregate. Then you are tested mentally the same way you are during a round: you got a stroke lead after hole 1; how do you handle it? How much more aggressive is your opponent, etc. There's a whole other level of intrigue then. Not to mention that sudden death is then even MORE exciting if they had to play 3 holes to get there.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 269 Times in 172 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Golf uses different formats throughout the year.

Masters - Sudden Death
US open - 18 hole total score(aggregate), then sudden death if needed
British Open - sudden death
PGA Championships - 3 hole total score (aggregate), then sudden death if needed

All PGA events use Sudden death except for I think one (The Players?).

Aggregate is a much more fair way of doing playoffs, especially in disc golf when something like a spit out can happen. I've seen them in playoffs and is awful. However PDGA rules require sudden death in all cases.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 197 Posts

I think sudden death is exciting, but may not always show who the best player is.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 148 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I think sudden death is exciting, but may not always show who the best player is.
Agree fully. But if I want 'best' I can run the stats. It's fun to see the people who can handle the pressure.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
Agree fully. But if I want 'best' I can run the stats. It's fun to see the people who can handle the pressure.
this. the "best" player winning can be less interesting than a "good" player rising to the pressure. THAT'S what sport is about IMHO.....

Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 654
Niced 390 Times in 224 Posts

New official rule for 2018 is flex start events do not need to play off first place ties and prizes can be split since many times the tied players will not finish at the same time. This has been the unofficial policy since DD started running several 1-round events like this.

I think a fairer and maybe even more exciting sudden death system for our higher tier events would be our version of "win by two" like several other sports. Tied golfers would have to win by at least two shots or hold a 1-shot lead for a second hole. For example, if Player A wins the first hole by two throws, they win the playoff right then. However, if Player A wins the first playoff hole by 1 throw, Player B MUST win the next hole by 1 or more throws to continue playoff. If A & B tie or B loses the hole, Player A wins playoff for holding the 1-throw lead thru the second hole.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 717 Times in 333 Posts

Keep it simple. No need for convaluted playoff set-ups. Sudden death works just fine, and for nearly all tournaments, it fits into the time frame needed.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of tournaments are pro-am, multi-divisional affairs. While some might get excited enough about an MPO playoff to want an extended format to prolong/increase the drama, it's much more likely that a playoff will be needed for a division other than MPO. Are people as excited to watch or even just wait around for the end of a playoff for first place in MA2? OR FG1? Or MJ3? Keep it short, keep it simple, break the tie and move on with the day.