Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wrote an article about this a month or so ago. Check it out. It has lots of good tipsl
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-avoid...our-golf-discs
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr0140 View Post
ALWAYS DO NOT FORGET TO LOOK UP! There are a lot of discs lost because people are only looking on the ground and in the tall weeds/grass.
This has happened 3 times recently - once to a group I come up on and twice to my group. Every time it was less than 6'-7' off the ground.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Watch it the entire flight if possible, even if it's a bad shot and you want to look away in disgust.

If you can't see where it is going to land (bad throws especially), listen carefully to what it hits.

If after seaching for awhile you can't find it, go back to the tee and have a look-visualize your drive and then continue searching. This method has helped me more than any other.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 86
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to watch for a few seconds after it lands. Many times a disc will roll, run or skip off or a combination of those after it has hit the ground. I remember one hole during a league round that volunteered to spot. One of the guys gave me a little crap for it, but it was dusk so I just went ahead and did it. His drive landed up a hill in long grass. I watched for a few seconds extra and sure enough it rolled down the hill and deep into the woods. He admitted after that there would have been no way he would have found it without me spotting.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 59
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I try to make sure that everyone in my group is watching my throw. That way, I have more eyes seeing where it goes.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 80
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

always watch the disc at least 3 more seconds after you think it landed. A lot of the time you'll catch a hint if you watch just a little longer.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 86
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Make that mental note where it lands or was last seen. If you look away after throwing then you just don't know where it might have gone. Then once you get there, look also in places where you think the disc has no chance in going, that is usually where it is.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 59
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolito View Post
Make that mental note where it lands or was last seen. If you look away after throwing then you just don't know where it might have gone. Then once you get there, look also in places where you think the disc has no chance in going, that is usually where it is.
That happens alot at my home course. I play with a lot of newbies, and they tend not to watch their disc very carefully, and we spend a lot of time looking for their discs.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 96
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

There have been more than a few times where I watched it as long as I could, but because of the landscape (and how poorly the disc was thrown) you can't track it all the way. After we have scoured the initial landing area (at least what we perceived it to be)....we go to the places where there is "no way" it could have landed. Seems like more often times than not, that is where it ends up. I guess what I am saying is, be willing to look in the places that seem completely ridiculous. Just don't start there first. If you mentally key in on that one area where "it has to be"....you may never find it.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 76
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh man, there is nothing more annoying/frustrating than playing with a group of people that never watch their discs. I will say through out the round, "make sure to watch AND remember where your discs go", and of course someone who threw 200' into the fairway is looking for their disc off in the weeds.

Uhg