Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I play a course with a lot of water, I carry 4 water discs. One that definitely goes left(pro destroyer), one that goes straight(beatup dx teerex), one that definitely will go right(beat up pro wraith) and a dx Roc.

I usually try to throw them a few times when I do field practice.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default my hints....

1) Know how long you can throw and gauge it based on the course distance.... If the pin is 350 feet, and you can only throw 300, it helps guide you in the distance.

2) Always Look Up - If there are trees / bushes.... dont always expect your disc will end up on the ground.... a lot of time, you will find your disc stuck in above the ground in the tree...

3) Look for Ricochet factors... If there are trees close to the disc's flight line, it could have hit and ricochet. When a disc ricochets it could be in any number of directions.

4)Carry a "stand in" disc.... i have a a disc i label as my "tree damage / get lost disc"... it's a cheap teebird dx that i can replace easily if it gets trashed or lost. I use it when i have an impossibly thick strand of trees or a serious threat of losing my disc. The $8 stand in, helps save my other discs from tree damage and the accuracy helps me save the Out of Bounds stroke costs for a lost disc.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

NUMBER ONE RULE

Spend more than 3 to 4 minutes looking for it!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Disc Mafia Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 238
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

This is silly but be cool to the people who stop and help you look for your disc. When they ask you, "What did you lose?" Don't be an idiot and say a 171 Teebird. Tell them the color! LOL

I never understood the disc name or weight answer without the color.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 33.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Prevention for not losing discs. Avoid distractions, like dogs, phones, booze. Don't throw tie dye discs. I have never bought a tie dye but have found many. If possible come back later and the sun light will be at a different angle and you might see it then.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

ah, yes tye-dye. I find them all the time and just trade them off to 420 players who hate their pink mids....
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 46 Times in 34 Posts

Dire's words of wisdom, watch it land, then run after it, that is how I do it.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Lost Disc Tips from Crescent City

Lost discs. Ive had a few. Things that have helped me to find them or prevented them getting lost:

1. Watch where the disc lands and look well beyond it to find a landmark, i.e. a building, unique plant, sign, whatever but it should be easily viewable. Use this to gauge location. And when in doubt, look closer to the pin.

2. If I hit a tree and I dont see where the disc was redirected I will start at the tree that was hit and circle out, remembering to look up occasionally (Crescent city where I am from has Bull Pines, very sticky).

3. If I am playing a course with wide open fairways and tall grass AND youre with a group. Work and move together to cover the ground uniformly in a search pattern. It takes 10 seconds to organize and youre not covering the same ground twice.

4. Beachfront Park dgc is on the Pacific. When discs goes in the water immediately look to see which way the current is flowing and gently move with it as you look. Speed is EVERYTHING when looking for a disc in moving water. Between current, detritus and sand it literally takes seconds to lose a disc. Look for discs to be trapped under rocks in tide pools.

Thats all I have for now.

In disc, Yoda