Old 09-16-2021, 09:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 240 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I am still a bit fuzzy on what is going on here. The second sign indicates the rec hole #2 plays to the yellow band, but the sign says it plays to a steel basket.

The second hole plays from the same tee, to the same basket but has individual pars for blue and white? I don't think I have seen two pars for the same hole. Maybe I was not paying attention enough. I don't generally pay attention to par.
I took me a bit too. Essentially there is a smaller "rec" course on top of a bigger course. On the first sign you have 5 holes

Big course:
Hole #1 has 3 options
Tee to red
Tee to blue
Tee to yellow

'rec' course:
Hole #1
Tee to red
Hole #2
rec tee to yellow
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2021, 09:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 240 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Alright, I think we may be at something fairly workable:

I found the tee pad being 3 colors to be confusing. I didn't realize it was a tee pad at first.

As an idea, 2 signs. One for the full course and one for the recreational. Both signs are completely identical except the full course will have the rec layout faded and the rec sign will have the full course faded.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 690 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
I found the tee pad being 3 colors to be confusing. I didn't realize it was a tee pad at first.

As an idea, 2 signs. One for the full course and one for the recreational. Both signs are completely identical except the full course will have the rec layout faded and the rec sign will have the full course faded.
I think frequently tees that have just a single pad and multiple baskets ended being put in white. Given that some times we have multiple pads, and other times multiple baskets, that feels like it could be equally confusing.

Although, with the colored lines this might be completely moot. Simply putting the label by the tee should be enough (I do want to be mindful of those who may be color blind). I’d probably still color the separate rec tee pads red, though, as I think the does provide a good visual cue if someone just walks up to a sign a little oblivious.

I’ve thought about separate signs, but I have a feeling that this may ultimately just as harmful to some as it is helpful to others. People have a tendency to look at the first thing they see, and only see what they are expecting. People expect a single map on a tee pad, and will tend to look only at that.

I think I’m going to trial this design, maybe grab some people I know haven’t played the course and asking them to navigate without my help, and see how they do. Play testing is always the best way to work the kinks out of things anyway.

Niced: (2)