* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,088 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
you are FLAT LYING.
LYING?! NO WAY! It's not like OMD has lied before like saying he is a 1000 rated 50 year old.
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,348 Times in 689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Ahem. I'm not sure about "no one". I don't mind them, and at the rate I see OB added to local courses and tournaments, I may not be alone.
I'd say want and don't mind are very different. I also use them at the boring wide open flat home layout when I run events to add a decision making element to 25 year old holes that simply have no real challenge besides "put it somewhere close." A problem no size of basket can improve.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 128
Niced 7,357 Times in 2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I'd say want and don't mind are very different. I also use them at the boring wide open flat home layout when I run events to add a decision making element to 25 year old holes that simply have no real challenge besides "put it somewhere close." A problem no size of basket can improve.
Fair enough. Like other design features, they can be done well, or poorly. When done well, OB (lake/creek/sidewalk/rope) adds challenge to the drive or fairway shot, restricting where and how a throw may land. But it has nothing to do with putting.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 1,246 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Ahem. I'm not sure about "no one". I don't mind them, and at the rate I see OB added to local courses and tournaments, I may not be alone.

My argument is that correlation does not equal causation -- that there's no connection between the target size, and the application of these other design features. You could have OB or no OB, normal baskets or small baskets, in any combination. I've never read where a designer said he made OB because putting was too easy. I've talked to a number of high-level designers and, though I never specifically asked, they never mentioned it either. I can say with absolute certainty that, where I've been involved in putting OB on a course, ease of putting had zero influence on that decision.

It's just something else that OMD doesn't like, that he thinks smaller baskets would cure.
And we discussed that. I think OB for local minis or lower level tournaments should be very limited and based on logical limitations. Roads, creeks, tree lines, etc.

For top pros, tightening up lines is fine.

But if you were to go out in to a giant flat field and layout ropes to create a course it would be awful as a spectator.

To play it might not be great, but it could be fun.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 128
Niced 7,357 Times in 2,715 Posts

The local courses I play most, all have lots of OB. Mostly existing features (creeks, sidewalks, etc.). My feeling about rope is, if there was an existing feature there that was designed around, with OB in mind, and it would be fine, then the rope is fine. It plays exactly the same.

When I first saw rope, at the early USDGCs, I thought it was an abomination. Then I played a great private course with a mix of open and wooded areas, and they used tons of stakes to create OB in the open areas. They did it really well, and it was great to play.

I have enough self-awareness to recognize that it's a matter of taste -- some are fine with it, some don't like it. I'm not one of those people who think my tastes are a universal truth.

But -- back to the subject of the thread -- I don't believe it has anything to do with ease of putting. In at least some cases, I know for a fact that it doesn't.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
The local courses I play most, all have lots of OB. Mostly existing features (creeks, sidewalks, etc.). My feeling about rope is, if there was an existing feature there that was designed around, with OB in mind, and it would be fine, then the rope is fine. It plays exactly the same.

When I first saw rope, at the early USDGCs, I thought it was an abomination. Then I played a great private course with a mix of open and wooded areas, and they used tons of stakes to create OB in the open areas. They did it really well, and it was great to play.

I have enough self-awareness to recognize that it's a matter of taste -- some are fine with it, some don't like it. I'm not one of those people who think my tastes are a universal truth.

But -- back to the subject of the thread -- I don't believe it has anything to do with ease of putting. In at least some cases, I know for a fact that it doesn't.
And based on our exchanges I don’t think we see it differently in general. I prefer a natural boundary like a road or a creek, but I don’t disagree that a rope and road are functionally the same.

And from a player standpoint it’s probably not significantly different. The difference I would make is the aesthetic for entertainment purposes. Ie video coverage.

The discussion is about what makes for the most entertaining DG to watch.

Niced: (1)
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgrosser View Post
This thread is tiresome, but I'm sorry - there's absolutely no way the average putt made in the PGA is 70'. My guess is you're misinterpreting a length of putts made for the total round (so 18 putts) or something along those lines.
I admit I have not looked into the stats and it seems outrageous, but check the link.

It’s says average putt distance is 70 feet. Like you I suspect there is more to it, but it is not immediately obvious.
Old Today, 04:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 39
Niced 899 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Nope. I already stated lowering the basket height months ago to make running shots easier. I don't like raised baskets (layups), lower them even from what they are now.
Why are we reinventing the wheel? OldMan's perfect hole already exists and it naturally segues into Multi Golf, why didn't we think of this before? Win win.

Low to the ground, when it's in it's definitely in, no more spit outs. Low cost and easy to install. Rollers now have a proper place in the sport.

The perfect solution was there all along. Who's excited guys? The future of Disc Golf is now.

Old Today, 05:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 101
Niced 3,088 Times in 1,247 Posts

Remember folks this is the tedious boring disc golf that OMD is asking for:

https://twitter.com/brodiesmith21/st...268640257?s=21

Where thrilling shots like this would never happen: