Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 44 Posts
Default Need a putter that doesn't roll

I'm a newb and the courses here are wooded. I need a putter that will lay down and not roll. Any suggestions? My fav putters are The Shield, Birdie, and Warden. I hear the soft/super soft/ etc are good but they don't hold up to damage well. Problem is i'm a tree killer ..if there is a tree on the hole i can find it and hit it. I like Dynamic Discs but i'll throw anything. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2018, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 311
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,126 Times in 1,055 Posts

DGA Gumbputt or Blowfly...where they hit is where they stay.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 545 Times in 292 Posts

I will be the jackass...

The putter you throw in the basket

Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Snowflake

Niced 2,146 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
I'm a newb and the courses here are wooded. I need a putter that will lay down and not roll. Any suggestions? My fav putters are The Shield, Birdie, and Warden. I hear the soft/super soft/ etc are good but they don't hold up to damage well. Problem is i'm a tree killer ..if there is a tree on the hole i can find it and hit it. I like Dynamic Discs but i'll throw anything. Thanks for the help.
There are a number of other threads that cover this, but the bottom line is that if you don't like the really soft discs (which 'stick' better), then you're going to have the potential for rolling. I like DD putters, also, but I really do not like soft putters. Ergo, I throw my Classic Marshal and take my medicine if it rolls. If I have a DX Polecat in the bag instead of my Champion Polecat, I'll use it.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts

In my experience even the soft plastics catch edge and roll. I had putts roll down into a deep pit when I started so I switched putters to a soft Vibram, needless to say I still had rollaways. Softer discs stick closer to where they land, but due to the nature of spinning discs they will still roll if you throw wrong.

Throw what putter feels good in your hand, regardless of firmness. Learning angles is the most important part of not getting throws to turn to rollers, you want the angle of the flight to match the landing zone to minimize chance of roll.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

If you want a putter to stick and you already like the Warden and Shield, then pick one up in Classic Soft/BT Soft. I putt Crowns in the circle and typically use BT Medium plastic; if I I'm playing a course with some stupid fast greens, then I'll put a BT Soft Crown in the bag too. And while the plastic does get gouges fairy easily and show some wear, it really doesn't seem to change flight characteristics nearly as quickly as you'd think. Especially if you're just using it to putt and not to drive with.

Alternatively, if you really want a putter that is soft with maximum durability then you're best bet is to check out a putter in Neutron Soft plastic from MVP/Axiom. I have abused my Neutron Soft Envy and yet it still looks and throws like new. I typically use it for C2 putts, stable upshots, and a little bit of driving duties. It also gets C1 putting duty on days when my Crown is misbehaving and in timeout.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Par Member

i get ya thebmeistor i guess i'm still at that stage i'm hoping there are magic discs that putters won't roll and a driver will go 200 feet farther than any other driver i've tried to throw

Niced: (1)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Par Member

thanks aphilso1 been meaning to try mvp maybe an atom
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

You've already got a Birdie, I'd try and get it to approach nice and flat. Lids make great approach discs b/c they're easy to land flat and so blunt that they don't skip and roll much. Polecat is a bit easier to do this b/c it doesn't fade as much but the Birdie should work.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 47
Niced 47 Times in 13 Posts

The other advice of soft putters and learning angles is good. I use a soft Pure for these type of shots since I carry one anyway.

One other suggestion I'd add is the Nova. That sits much better than most and I like to throw it for approaches on hilly hardpan courses.

Niced: (2)