Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,527 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Luke View Post
Spotting could be done with only one flag (thus no need for two colors) if how the flag was presented relayed the message. Ex: flag vertically overhead = inbounds; horizontally from the shoulder = unsure, group call; and downward across body = out of bounds. Look at semaphore.
Of course, agreed upon hand signals can work the same as one flag, with no flag required.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 260 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Spotting could be done with only one flag (thus no need for two colors) if how the flag was presented relayed the message. Ex: flag vertically overhead = inbounds; horizontally from the shoulder = unsure, group call; and downward across body = out of bounds. Look at semaphore.
Which is opposite of sports like volleyball...
https://www.quora.com/What-do-volley...d-signals-mean

Niced: (1)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 587 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Of course, agreed upon hand signals can work the same as one flag, with no flag required.
True. The flags would merely aid in visibility. Perhaps the PDGA could create those agreed upon signals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Which is opposite of sports like volleyball...
https://www.quora.com/What-do-volley...d-signals-mean
I was a FIFA registered soccer official for a few years. Perhaps flag up is out, no flag is in and waving flag is group decision? I was simply brainstorming a simplified method. The regulating bodies of other sports have standardized the signals of their officials. The PDGA should do the same.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 79
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

I don't know that spotter flags are as big of a deal as OB lines. You absolutely need to be able to see the OB lines. A spotter flag, you can just ask someone what color it is. Although it's probably not that difficult to put a big X on one side.

I like the ideas about finding colors that can be seen easily, versus flags and things with custom printing on the. If you start getting flags custom printed, the pricing and availability get more difficult to deal with as a TD.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 1,644 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
I'm thinking of all those situations where the spotter can barely make the flag visible by waiving and jumping: from inside a bush, or down in the reeds by the water.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:52 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,527 Times in 694 Posts

How about signal lights? One, if on land, Two, in the sea...

Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 587 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
I'm thinking of all those situations where the spotter can barely make the flag visible by waiving and jumping: from inside a bush, or down in the reeds by the water.
We’d need to equip the officials with Scuba or at least a snorkel if they were expected to make their signal from the disc’s location out of bounds. I guess red/green color blindness or standardized signals are of no consequence ‘cause of “bushes.”
Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

My least favorite is being explained exactly where the orange OB flag line extends and then throwing (what I think is) the perfect shot, only to be told I was OB by 10 feet.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 166
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,044 Posts

Pelvic thrusting = In bounds.

Cabbage patch = out of bounds.

Honestly I can't believe that I dispense this wisdom for free.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 1,644 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
We’d need to equip the officials with Scuba or at least a snorkel if they were expected to make their signal from the disc’s location out of bounds. I guess red/green color blindness or standardized signals are of no consequence ‘cause of “bushes.”
I'm not sure how you got to the point of thinking I'm treating red/green colorblindness as of no consequence when I jumped in to offer thoughts on how best to signal to everyone.

My point was that a signal that depended on the position of the flags or some pattern of movement might easily be missed when performed at the place the spotter determines a disc was or was not OB. These signals are not usually first given from the middle of a mowed fairway. Most of the spotter's body might not even be visible. It would be better if the signal only depended on being able to see the flag itself.

I've thought the flags (paddles, sticks, whatever) should have a black mark on the middle of the red one, and a white mark in the middle of the green one. This could be a sponsor logo, type, or any shape. The "OB" flag might look like the maritime storm warning flag.