Old 06-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,364 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Sorry, as I said, it was a bit blunt, it wasn't an attack, I apologize if you took it in that fashion. A lot of people out there were defending Eagles forehand despite how stupid of strain he was putting his body through and not using their brain, but defending the results.

right?

Way easier to get spin on the disc which the forehand already lacks.
No need to apologize. I didn't take it as an attack. I just wanted to follow up and clarify that I thought his injury was due only to the 360 but got corrected on that. I rarely take offense to anything.

Anyways...moving on. The 'stacked' grip just came naturally to me and if I wanted to lose power (upshots and short forehands) I could easily fan my fingers out. The fan grip also helped me keep the disc level, where the 'stacked' grip would cause it to hyzer easily. But then I kept seeing lots of suggestions on the 'power' grip and gave it a try. Took some getting used to, but as you said, way easier to get spin and my throws go longer.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2022, 10:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,364 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Feels like a fastball grip to me. It's how I naturally gripped the disc first time.
<<removed photos>>
That is what more instructors should do. Use a clear disc to show grip. The majority of "grip" instructions only show the finger position on the bottom of the disc. Rarely do they show the thumb position and if they do, it is never shown with the position of the fingers. It would even be nice if the instructor took the grip, showed it, took the disc away and showed the grip without the disc. Seeing the thumb position in conjunction with the fingers would be helpful.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:38 AM

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Feels like a fastball grip to me. It's how I naturally gripped the disc first time.
Oh the insanity! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
That is what more instructors should do. Use a clear disc to show grip. The majority of "grip" instructions only show the finger position on the bottom of the disc. Rarely do they show the thumb position and if they do, it is never shown with the position of the fingers. It would even be nice if the instructor took the grip, showed it, took the disc away and showed the grip without the disc. Seeing the thumb position in conjunction with the fingers would be helpful.
There are lots of things out there instructors don't get into. Their goal is to generally simplify things and get views, views = money. etc.

As well, most people want "magic fixes" for their form
when the reality is, grip can fix a lot of form issues, or cause other form issues.
The whole thing is complicated, yet simple.

So when they do show any of that stuff, they don't really even understand the differences.

Niced: (1)