Old 05-12-2021, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 221
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,123 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc13 View Post
I usually throw a Beast or Classic Beast but when my arm is strong or I'm throwing into a wind I can't keep it from over anhyzering. I throw both FH and BH. Any suggestions for a disc to throw when its windy?
Some discs are notoriously bad or finnicky into a headwind. I bag a heavy weight Star Beast and try to avoid throwing it into even the slightest of headwinds.

What plastic do you use and how far do you throw? I also throw mine both forehand and backhand. Typically into a headwind I like throwing an early run Big Z Vulture in similar spots (a fairly overstable run of Vultures) or even an ESP Surge that I bag. Another option is actually to increase disc speed for headwinds. I bag a Champion Katana (similar turn rating, but higher speed) which I will sometimes throw in headwinds as opposed to the Beast. The Thunderbird suggestion is probably pretty good. Even a Star Teebird does a good job into certain headwinds.

It depends on lots of factors. In general, learn which discs you can trust in headwinds and learn how to manage all winds and you will benefit greatly.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-12-2021, 04:54 PM

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 17
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

I throw my Beast anywhere between 250' to 275'. Age and injuries take their toll.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 2,482 Times in 1,134 Posts

At that distance, it's not "power" causing the turning. It's form or a really stiff headwind.

That being said....Sometimes in a stiff headwind, I'll throw something faster instead of something a touch more stable. I've found I get better distance that way.

Old 05-12-2021, 05:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 73 Times in 55 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how old is your beast? And what is the 3rd # in the flight rating? Beast-L's were a thing, usually printed with -3 HST rating. Innova changed them back to the X (more stable) mold around 2015, usually listed as -2 HST

My step up in stability from a Beast-X would be an Orc or a Millennium OLF.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:09 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 19
Niced 14 Times in 7 Posts

My forehand is terrible but am not sure if it's because I am trying to learn it with the wrong disc. What disc is best for beginner FH?
Old 06-02-2021, 07:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 221
Niced 1,123 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Galore View Post
My forehand is terrible but am not sure if it's because I am trying to learn it with the wrong disc. What disc is best for beginner FH?
There are a lot of possible answers. Basically, it's similar to finding a good starter disc for backhand. You want something that's not too fast and not too overstable. A Buzzz in premium plastic (probably Z or ESP) is a great option but probably not best for full power drives. Grip is a big factor, and that's one reason I like recommending a beadless, relatively flat mid like the Buzzz. While branching into higher speeds, I suggest somewhat neutral discs with just a little bit of bite at the end. Something like an Undertaker or Star Valkyrie or even a DX Teebird are all reasonable.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 668 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Galore View Post
I don't think there's one best disc for a FH beginner. But, I believe there is one best type of disc for FH.

First, for beginners....a putter and midrange are best to start with regardless of the throwing style.

Second, for forehand...I (RHFH) have found that flat top discs are the best for forehands.

I use the DGA Breaker for my FH upshots and DGA Rift for my midrange. Love both and they are flat-topped. Would they be the best for you? Maybe, maybe not. If you have a disc golf store near you, go in and handle some flat topped discs and see which feels good in your hand. Beaded/no bead, deep rim/small rim...all that plays into feel and comfortability, and you won't be able to tell that online. If you don't have a store nearby, ask other players if you can check out the discs they use for forehands...see if they are comfortable for you.

And be cautious of discs. They may have similar names but different tops. Innova has the R-Pro Pig which is domed and the Wysocki Pig which is flat topped....both are Innova Pigs by name...but a totally different shape (I believe the Wysocki Pig may have gotten re-branded as the Warthog recently). I think Innova's ...3 line is similar, with the basic disc (example Leopard) being domey and the ...3 (example Leopard3) being a bit flatter...but I could be wrong about that.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:50 PM

Courses Played: 17
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, still working on finding the best disc to use. The Thunderbird is more stable in wind but I lose distance with it. Fortunately on my trip out west the winds weren't very bad.