Old 06-28-2019, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 489 Times in 189 Posts

Hole 5 at Shenantaha has a better bridge over the swampy area.
Thanks to the hot tub place next to Unified Beerworks for the donation.
Special thanks to the two kids that helped drag them out. You are They.

Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 100
Niced 489 Times in 189 Posts

Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 45
Niced 209 Times in 98 Posts

Marked 3 holes for clearing at Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI. A big "they" guy Bill came out and chainsawed the marked trees, and pulled brush off of one. I got the rest of it pulled, and walah! Three new holes bringing the total up to 12.

I have two more baskets in place, and plan on finishing up clearing and moving baskets to round out a full back nine in the coming month.

Here's the new hole 5 - a nice hard turnover midrange RHBH into the hillside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG952739.jpg (170.9 KB, 34 views)

Old 07-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts

I didn't put this story on FB, because it sounds like I'm bragging. But in this forum, I think you guys will take it in context.

I play a lot at a local course about 10 miles from my house. It's in a small town in AL called Adamsville, population around 4,500. "They" cut the grass every couple of weeks. The first 4 holes are around an open field surrounding the Senior Citizen's center, so no one besides the disc golfers would mind if it grew too high. If I were in charge of maintenance, I might be tempted to let some of this work slide since I never see DGers during the day. But still, it stays in really nice shape most of the time.

Had a vacation day recently, so I was able to go and play during a weekday, which is not common. I saw "them" cutting the grass and doing the weed eating. I knew it would take them a while, so I finished my round and ran over to the convenience store a few blocks away. Spent $9 buying 2 for $3 Powerades and went back and handed one to each guy, and thanked them for cutting the course. Told them how I was new to the sport myself, and how I was teaching a few local kids at the same time. Told them we were usually there in the evenings, so they probably didn't see us, so I wanted them to know that their work was appreciated. You could tell from the looks on their faces that this isn't a common thing for them.

A couple of weeks later I was out there practicing throwing a couple of bags at a time into the field, trying to increase my velocity and distance by throwing harder while maintaining form. That meant occasionally I would pour on the power and a disc would fly in the wrong direction and fly into the road. A city maintenance truck drove by before I could get to it. They stopped the truck, got out and picked up my disc, and threw it back to me. Sometimes showing a little bit of appreciation works! I didn't want to get anything back from them - I just wanted them to know that their hard work wasn't wasted. They don't seem to see anyone ever play on the course, so this was my way of letting them know it did get used, and to provide a bit of assistance too.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 592 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutrbug View Post
I didn't put this story on FB, because it sounds like I'm bragging. But in this forum, I think you guys will take it in context.

I play a lot at a local course about 10 miles from my house. It's in a small town in AL called Adamsville, population around 4,500. "They" cut the grass every couple of weeks. The first 4 holes are around an open field surrounding the Senior Citizen's center, so no one besides the disc golfers would mind if it grew too high. If I were in charge of maintenance, I might be tempted to let some of this work slide since I never see DGers during the day. But still, it stays in really nice shape most of the time.

Had a vacation day recently, so I was able to go and play during a weekday, which is not common. I saw "them" cutting the grass and doing the weed eating. I knew it would take them a while, so I finished my round and ran over to the convenience store a few blocks away. Spent $9 buying 2 for $3 Powerades and went back and handed one to each guy, and thanked them for cutting the course. Told them how I was new to the sport myself, and how I was teaching a few local kids at the same time. Told them we were usually there in the evenings, so they probably didn't see us, so I wanted them to know that their work was appreciated. You could tell from the looks on their faces that this isn't a common thing for them.

A couple of weeks later I was out there practicing throwing a couple of bags at a time into the field, trying to increase my velocity and distance by throwing harder while maintaining form. That meant occasionally I would pour on the power and a disc would fly in the wrong direction and fly into the road. A city maintenance truck drove by before I could get to it. They stopped the truck, got out and picked up my disc, and threw it back to me. Sometimes showing a little bit of appreciation works! I didn't want to get anything back from them - I just wanted them to know that their hard work wasn't wasted. They don't seem to see anyone ever play on the course, so this was my way of letting them know it did get used, and to provide a bit of assistance too.

A course I frequent abuts a community rec center and ice rink. Most of the guys that maintain the place have no idea what DG is but did a decent job.

I saw one of the workers I didn’t know mowing a few months ago and flagged him down to give him an ice cold beer (it was super hot out) and chat with the card. We talked for a while about the course, the game, his job and how they make time for the course etc. We thanked him profusely, gave him another beer and went on our way.

I don’t know if it had any effect, but I tell ya the mowing there has improved in a big way since and we see him out there cutting late all the time now. Maybe it’s a coincidence but I like to think that people truly respond to being appreciated, edified and have their efforts validated- even if they don’t love their job it can truly be a source of pride if those who benefit by it show their appreciation for the work done. Cheers to spreading the love!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
I don’t know if it had any effect, but I tell ya the mowing there has improved in a big way since and we see him out there cutting late all the time now. Maybe it’s a coincidence but I like to think that people truly respond to being appreciated, edified and have their efforts validated- even if they don’t love their job it can truly be a source of pride if those who benefit by it show their appreciation for the work done.
That's what I believe. I am not trying to bribe them into doing the weed eating around the baskets... but I did notice that it was done this time. It's not hard to imagine the workers thinking before that no one would notice if they skipped something. Now they know that someone will notice. They may not care very much, but that's another story. At least they know that their hard work counts for something.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 PM
Eagle Member

Got done mowing hole 1 today, here's a nice pic. It's a big workout with a push mower but I actually really enjoy it, it feels like making an artistic masterpiece lol.

Got the ending hole mowed yesterday, and I'm gonna finish the rest of the course tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0723191542.jpg (149.0 KB, 30 views)

Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 592 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhilss View Post
Got done mowing hole 1 today, here's a nice pic. It's a big workout with a push mower but I actually really enjoy it, it feels like making an artistic masterpiece lol.

Got the ending hole mowed yesterday, and I'm gonna finish the rest of the course tomorrow.

Which ski area is that?

Also it’s flat out mean you have to do fairways with a pushmower!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Which ski area is that?

Also it’s flat out mean you have to do fairways with a pushmower!

Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI.

I feel ya haha. For years I had the course with many more bomber open holes that were fun, but they would never mow enough, now matter how much I asked. The end of 2017 I finally decided to make it a majority woods course and it's been a blessing in disguise.

Now I can get the course done in a day if I push hard with the push mower. BUT I've got a local bringing his rider today so that's nice.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 317
Niced 231 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhilss View Post
Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI.

I feel ya haha. For years I had the course with many more bomber open holes that were fun, but they would never mow enough, now matter how much I asked. The end of 2017 I finally decided to make it a majority woods course and it's been a blessing in disguise.

Now I can get the course done in a day if I push hard with the push mower. BUT I've got a local bringing his rider today so that's nice.
I can relate. Whatever volunteers I can wrangle and I take care of Bighorn Ridge in Big Sky, MT almost exclusively with weed whackers due to the steep and rugged terrain. Community Org can mow some lower fields with their gator and pull behind but that’s not particularly nimble and can’t take much of a hill. Haven’t posted much for pics this summer, just been crazy busy with travel, running leagues and tourneys, and work. Here’s a few pics of THEY out crushing it...THEY have really turned this course around in the last 2 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56A352AE-EFAE-4243-832B-6CBB92B1179F.jpg (154.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 9652559B-6F32-4189-8052-B5E496FB2C3E.jpg (152.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 6F7B9C99-93C2-4C27-9F6A-558F9627C7BC.jpg (148.9 KB, 18 views)

Niced: (3)