Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.8
Courses Played: 435
Niced 2,437 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default North American Places With The Least Disc Golf

A question came up about the place in North America that it farthest from a disc golf course.

I don't have an answer to that. I'd guess it is on the northern border of Canada.

What I do have is the U.S. census tracts with the lowest disc golf service levels. This means they are far from the nearest course, and there aren't many courses at somewhat longer distances, either.

The census tract that has the lowest service level in the U.S. is Koniuji, Alaska with a service level of just 0.01. It's 847 miles to the nearest course of any kind, and 1,046 miles to the nearest 18-hole course. (Not counting non-North American courses.)

Outside of Alaska, the U.S. census tract with the lowest service level is Kaumakani, HI at 0.07. It's about 150 miles to the nearest course, and there are only 7 courses within 2,450 miles. (Again, not counting non-North American courses).

In the first 48, the U.S. census tract with the lowest service level is in Marfa, TX. at 0.21. It's 122 miles to the nearest course, and 191 miles to the next one after that.

The average service level for people in the U.S. is 3.30. A service level of 1.00 means the player lives next door to an 18-hole course, and has no other courses available.

As for Canada, I only have populations of the 300 largest cities. Of these, Yellowknife, NT has the lowest service level at 0.04. 617 miles to the nearest course.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 127
Niced 6,169 Times in 2,358 Posts

Cool. Next time I'm having a bad round I can comfort myself with the knowledge that at least I don't live in Marfa, Texas.

(Although I'm curious....aren't there census tracks south of there which would be even less-served? I once drove through Marfa, down through Presidio, and through Big Bend. Surely Presidio beats Marfa as a bad place for disc golfers to live????)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

There is no DG in either NWT or Nunavut territories of Canada's north. Yukon has a sweet course though and lots of access to Alaskan courses.

Nothing I know of in the East Coast besides the new course on PEI
Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excluding HI and AK in the US, I would offer up some of the towns in eastern ky. While they may not be as far as some places mileage wise, but driving time is a different story... there are no easy ways to get in and out of the mountains in eastern ky. I would say the closest course would be about 60ish miles away, but may take you 2 or 3 hours to drive that.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 108
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Mammoth Lakes and the closest course to drive to is in South Lake Tahoe about 2.5 hours away. These are not playable during the winter which means the closest courses are Dayton and Reno which are about 3 hours away. I live in a dg black hole
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 250
Niced 80 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfaholic View Post
I live in Mammoth Lakes and the closest course to drive to is in South Lake Tahoe about 2.5 hours away. These are not playable during the winter which means the closest courses are Dayton and Reno which are about 3 hours away. I live in a dg black hole
Turtle Rock is more like 2 hours and 10 minutes from Mammoth, 2 hours in the summer when Monitor Pass is open and is playable for most of the winter, especially this winter. Actually, the closest course is Tonopah at 1 hour 45 minutes, but isn't worth the drive.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 108
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleOfDoom View Post
Turtle Rock is more like 2 hours and 10 minutes from Mammoth, 2 hours in the summer when Monitor Pass is open and is playable for most of the winter, especially this winter. Actually, the closest course is Tonopah at 1 hour 45 minutes, but isn't worth the drive.
I haven't played Turtle Rock yet. Is it playable during the spring?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 119
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
(Although I'm curious....aren't there census tracks south of there which would be even less-served? I once drove through Marfa, down through Presidio, and through Big Bend. Surely Presidio beats Marfa as a bad place for disc golfers to live????)
I wondered the same thing. The map browse feature on this site shows a course only 90-some miles from Marfa proper. I don't know how much area Marfa census tract covers, but the points south of Marfa certainly look like they would be even more remote.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 124
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfaholic View Post
I haven't played Turtle Rock yet. Is it playable during the spring?
I played it on 3/10/12 and it was a little muddy but it is fine. It's on the east side of the mountains so it gets less snow. Turtle Rock is a great course.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 55 Times in 24 Posts

If I'm reading the census maps correctly, Presidio County has two census tracts. Marfa is in the northern one, Presidio (the city) is in the southern one. If you go the PDGA course directory and punch in zip code 79845, which is for the City of Presidio, the two closest courses that come up are 122 and 191 miles away.