Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-25-2019, 03:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 123
Niced 74 Times in 36 Posts

I was seriously disappointed with the new H V2 series from Prodigy except for the H1v2 that one I liked (it's like a Felon with an ever so slightly wider rim).

I didn't like that they replaced a series of 9 speed control drivers with 11ish speed distance drivers. I'd like some Saint Pro, Thunderbird, Fury, Saint, etc. type discs in their great plastics.
Prodigy need some good control drivers, not more distance drivers.

I didn't like the D1 Max at first. It's thin and pretty understable for a disc with a "D1" in the name. I found it nice for flip up forehands especially in the woods but other wise it's underwhelming. I hoped that with the "Max" added it'd be much more overstable than a regular D1. Nope, just the opposite. If I wanted a less HSS and LSS D1 I'll throw a D2 or a D3. Also since it's thinner it doesn't really glide well, if you want/need that.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2019, 04:47 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 413
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 399 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
I was seriously disappointed with the new H V2 series from Prodigy except for the H1v2 that one I liked (it's like a Felon with an ever so slightly wider rim).

I didn't like that they replaced a series of 9 speed control drivers with 11ish speed distance drivers. I'd like some Saint Pro, Thunderbird, Fury, Saint, etc. type discs in their great plastics.

I didn't like the D1 Max at first. It's thin and pretty understable for a disc with a "D1" in the name. I found it nice for flip up forehands especially in the woods but other wise it's underwhelming. I hoped that with the "Max" added it'd be much more overstable than a regular D1. Nope, just the opposite. If I wanted a less HSS and LSS D1 I'll throw a D2 or a D3. Also since it's thinner it doesn't really glide well, if you want/need that.
Did you notice any difference in the plastic though? Or is this just me? It's awful from the one's I bought online this year. The other's are just fine. It looks like smudged up windows that you can't wash off.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,802 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Did you notice any difference in the plastic though? Or is this just me? It's awful from the one's I bought online this year. The other's are just fine. It looks like smudged up windows that you can't wash off.
My orange H4v2 kind of have this "problem" -...feels very "oily" . .
reminds me of the really old Z plastics

But i do love the 400 plastic in this cold wet weather
Old 12-25-2019, 05:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,802 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:

The F-series is quite fast, i put them more in the 8-speed with their 18mm rim. . So for my the jump up to the Hv2 series makes sense.. . i see the Hv2 as 10-speed

But then i use the Hv2 series as drivers. . don΄t have the arm for +11 speed discs
Old 12-25-2019, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 75
Niced 326 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
It DID come out in 2019 though, so the OP isn't wrong. But I understand both sides.
Dont mind me. Im just doing a little light trolling to finish out my 2019. I rarely do it.

This isnt a new horse the OP is beating.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-25-2019, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 792 Times in 616 Posts

Quote:

I couldn't figure out why Prodigy released the "max" series of drivers basically named after discs that already exist. I've thrown a D3 max and it didn't wow me. I found it to be beefier and have less glide than a regular D3.

Prodigy isn't really my favorite brand. Their discs seem to have some pretty serious inconsistencies in stability. I've thrown a D1 that was flippier than most D3s. I've also thrown a couple really beefy D3s. The plastic they create is beautiful, it just doesn't fly consistently.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Par Member

Quote:
I have a 400 A2 like that, and an Outlaw, I think an F5 and a few other random discs. But very few considering all the discs that pass through my hands in the course of a year.

I don't notice any grip or flight differences so I don't care what it looks like.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
The F-series is quite fast, i put them more in the 8-speed with their 18mm rim. . So for my the jump up to the Hv2 series makes sense.. . i see the Hv2 as 10-speed

But then i use the Hv2 series as drivers. . don΄t have the arm for +11 speed discs
I class the F series a little lower because they're thinner and don't glide as much. A TeeBird for example is deeper than an F2. I can throw the TeeBird farther on the same line it just plain glides farther downrange. (I prefer F2s because TeeBirds want to twist my finger off, but they do go father, for me.) The same for the other Fs. They're thinner and while the rim might be wider the lack of depth keeps them, for me, a little "slower".
Old 12-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I couldn't figure out why Prodigy released the "max" series of drivers basically named after discs that already exist. I've thrown a D3 max and it didn't wow me. I found it to be beefier and have less glide than a regular D3.

Prodigy isn't really my favorite brand. Their discs seem to have some pretty serious inconsistencies in stability. I've thrown a D1 that was flippier than most D3s. I've also thrown a couple really beefy D3s. The plastic they create is beautiful, it just doesn't fly consistently.
I understand. But I have that same issue with just about every manufacturer. I don't by fairways and faster discs without fondling them first. I want to see the dome, stiffness, PLH, etc. Mids and putters I'll buy online, everything else I get in person. Since I stocked up on drivers at AM Worlds I realize I won't ever need to buy any more so for me that problem might now be irrelevant.

The only drivers that I've found to be consistent from any brand are from MVP. I don't know if that's because they truly are or just that any I've bought are from the same runs as previous buys. I can't tell, I now only bag Dimensions (besides putting putters), and that only occasionally.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 922 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I got early in 2019 some Stalkers that have some smudged up fingerprint plastic that the fingerprints do not wash out of the disc. That is fine as it still feels like the gummy run of Z plastic made right before Discraft added flight numbers. Odd I can add more fingerprints to the disc but not take them away.