#1  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 401
Niced 135 Times in 79 Posts
Default Really basic question

Hello, I know virtually nothing about dyeing.
In particular, I have a couple discs that I really like but have trouble finding. They are a silvery purple Discraft titanium plastic. All I want to do is turn them into hot pink or something brighter, no designs, just a whole disc color change. Can I do that or is it impossible to lighten a disc? My guess is it would just end up like using a pink highlighter on pencil to turn it dark pink...
Anyway, I figured if anyone would know, it's you guys! Thanks in advance!
(Please don't tell me to "use the search feature", I know I could do that, but I also know that my specific question is probably easier for you to answer than to post all the links to threads that sort of answer it.)
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 1,383
Niced 458 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Your suspicions are correct - adding dye to a disc is subtractive, meaning that the underlying purple color will still be there and there's no way to brighten by adding the pink filter of dye.

I would recommend adding a big Triforce design (if you're into the Zelda games) with a stencil and silver sharpie. The triangles should stand out against the brush and silver is the best you can get I think.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:47 PM
roggenb3's Avatar
roggenb3 roggenb3 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Madtown
Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,697
Niced 905 Times in 483 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Your suspicions are correct - adding dye to a disc is subtractive, meaning that the underlying purple color will still be there and there's no way to brighten by adding the pink filter of dye.

I would recommend adding a big Triforce design (if you're into the Zelda games) with a stencil and silver sharpie. The triangles should stand out against the brush and silver is the best you can get I think.
This is your best option - silver/gold sharpies.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 PM
ThrowaEnvy's Avatar
ThrowaEnvy ThrowaEnvy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 2,090
Niced 677 Times in 477 Posts
Default

Hmmm good suggestion.. Is there a paint pen that might do a better job or does that just chip?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:23 AM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,298
Niced 904 Times in 518 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Hmmm good suggestion.. Is there a paint pen that might do a better job or does that just chip?
I have been playing with the idea of using the paint/dye (Dykem or the like) pens used in machining. Those penetrate the pores of aluminum, so it should work on discs....
Of course, I am not sure if they might not damage the disc... I need to go buy some junk discs to try it on.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 06-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2019, 02:23 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 707
Niced 449 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I have been playing with the idea of using the paint/dye (Dykem or the like) pens used in machining. Those penetrate the pores of aluminum, so it should work on discs....
Of course, I am not sure if they might not damage the disc... I need to go buy some junk discs to try it on.
I use dykem all the time (machinist by trade). It'd never hold up, most of it would just chip off I suspect. It's a layout fluid, meant to be scratched. Probably not what you are wanting.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-14-2019, 02:57 PM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,298
Niced 904 Times in 518 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I use dykem all the time (machinist by trade). It'd never hold up, most of it would just chip off I suspect. It's a layout fluid, meant to be scratched. Probably not what you are wanting.
So the colored pens are Prussian Blue as well? I know that slick materials marked with, what I thought was dykem pens, resist smearing better than sharpie. Of course, I could be wrong and it was a different type of marker.

I was going to buy several colors, you probably just saved me a bunch of money...those things are not cheap! Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:10 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 707
Niced 449 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
So the colored pens are Prussian Blue as well? I know that slick materials marked with, what I thought was dykem pens, resist smearing better than sharpie. Of course, I could be wrong and it was a different type of marker.

I was going to buy several colors, you probably just saved me a bunch of money...those things are not cheap! Thanks
Stay far away from Prussian blue....it literally doesn't dry. Also called high spot blue....it's a messy mess. The last thing you want anywhere near your hands!! Also, dykem does resist smearing, but it drys as more of a thin hard film. On something pliable like a disc it'd just chip off. It would probably leave a lasting light discoloration on your disc, but nothing super bright or desirable

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2019, 04:43 AM
Nenja's Avatar
Nenja Nenja is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tjörn, Sweden.
Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 620
Niced 190 Times in 122 Posts
Default

If you dare to add some heat there's a good chance to turn it yellowish, purple, blue or red, pigments mixed with lotion and then heated up (I put my oven to 50 Celsius to get it to occasional 65 Celsius) can bite real hard in just a couple of hours.

Here's an example with pink, blue and orange on light blue luster star:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1237.jpg (125.8 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 401
Niced 135 Times in 79 Posts
Default

So I just bought the worm dye and figured what the heck. All I did was put on some nitrile gloves, "wet" a paper towel with the dye and wipe it on. I am pretty happy with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7BC3F259-38CC-4D9C-8467-4ED1EC1C3B4F.jpg (136.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg D181CBCB-7E9D-44DE-AE76-FA6AE19694D6.jpg (133.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 8D62EB9C-F7FF-40B1-BCD4-F5BC840BAF98.jpg (94.1 KB, 20 views)

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
As basic as it gets! codyroberts18 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 5 01-30-2015 04:22 PM
Basic Rules I Need to Know? neanderthal85 Newbie Intros and Q&A 16 09-01-2014 05:29 PM
Help with basic forehand Alexplz Technique & Strategy 36 09-10-2013 11:24 PM
Basic Bag JOEMAMA Bag Suggestions & Feedback 8 02-24-2013 04:15 PM
Basic Jokeris digital The Marketplace 7 02-10-2013 09:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.