Old 06-14-2019, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 373
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 107 Times in 55 Posts

I played in a tourney at Ponchartrain Beach in NO in '79 that had distance, accuracy, freestyle, MTA and TRC, but no golf. There were no divisions other than age, and the only "pros" were the ones Wham-O! paid to front their product. I received a Fastback disc stamped "Fly-In '79" for my $3 and effort, which I still have, thrown only during the event (the disc, not the $3).
Sponsored Links

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 06-14-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 146 Times in 50 Posts

Quick side question, how much did discs cost in this time frame?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,949 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunodave View Post
Quick side question, how much did discs cost in this time frame?
When I began in the mid-90s, $6. (That's about $10 in today's money)

DX was the only plastic we knew. It wasn't called DX; it was just what we had. There was some merit in winning discs to replace a quickly-aging stock.

The first premium plastic discs I saw were Milleniums, at $10. I thought they were out of their mind; no way was a disc worth $10.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 913
Niced 74 Times in 42 Posts

Late 1980s: my local course one the first ten in Wisconsin. My first 3 discs; I had to meet a guy at the bar, about an hour away to purchase. For a number of years, the "big order" of 10 discs that me and a buddy would order from Rick Rothstein; was a highlight of the year!

There were was an am division from day one, and a novice division, most of the time, though very few played in it. After I had been playing tournies for a few years; I told newer buddies they should enter novice; as top finishes were tough in advanced; and they would have a chance in novice, to win a plaque or trophy. I managed to be a top 1/3 finisher in advanced; for most of my PDGA tourney days.

Very early tournies in my area; you got one disc, with "cool" tourney stamp; as part of your entry fee. Given that discs were relatively hard to come by; and there were not a ton of molds then, that disc had value. Entry fees were less than $25. A little later, top 1/4 of field received discs as prizes; and, in my world, they still were valuable, most of the time.

By the end of my PDGA tourney days; players pack would be a couple of discs and some other useless swag; but, still nowhere near what is today. Entry fees were only half of what they are today though....

Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 175
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 631 Times in 422 Posts

Fairly fresh Am here. Younger than most of you guys, but older than most of the "new players."

My first PDGA event was an MPO-only tournament big enough to have USDGC spots at large. I paid something like $60 (entry fee was rating dependent) and my player pack included a nicer-than-average mini. I paid for the honor of playing rated rounds on a good course and being compared to both the course and players I knew were better than me. I had zero hope of merchandise or monetary reward. No coupon, no T-shirt, no disc.

This is why I joined the PDGA (recently, PDGA# over 100,000) and have played tournaments. It is the gold standard for me to measure my disc golf game "objectively." I felt like the $60 to play that MPO event yielded a better reward than a recent Sat-only local event where I played MA1, lost in a playoff, and earned approximately my $40 entry fee in merchandise for my 2nd place (of 3 in the division) finish. Personally, I would have rather spent less and received less "stuff," both in players pack and as payout. That said, I don't mind a decent tourney disc everyone once in a while...

I'm not sure what motivates these things, but I do think the glamour of merch draws some ams. I also agree that companies gain from both publicity and financially. I also think TDs are happy to get companies involved to draw folks to their events and to have some kind of "bigger support" behind events. But I still don't understand or particularly care to understand the economics of DG tournaments.

What I want is competitive disc golf, officially scored, on good/challenging courses that adequately test/reward my skill improvement.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Well when you're referring to a percentage paid out relative to entry fees - if the entry fees are only enough to cover PDGA fees, the percentage is relative to $0.00

Unless the PDGA does the math to include fees that go to the PDGA. Which I'm not sure of.
The PDGA as I understand it makes the money for PDGA fees off of the money used to test discs for the PDGA the money for tests for the Targets and the PDGA membership as well as PDGA players paying that extra that do not have a membership for events B tier and lower. A tier and Above I was told you need to have PDGA membership to compete.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 215 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The PDGA as I understand it makes the money for PDGA fees off of the money used to test discs for the PDGA the money for tests for the Targets and the PDGA membership as well as PDGA players paying that extra that do not have a membership for events B tier and lower. A tier and Above I was told you need to have PDGA membership to compete.
That is... Very unrelated to the question.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,564 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I can't prove it, but I think this is off. There always are more casual players than there are serious players in any activity. For every town that has a club with 100 members, there are going to be close to 2,000 disc golfers. That's a big market of casuals. Some of them play with one disc that they found, but others will start trying discs and end up with 100 before they know what hit them. I don't think there is any way that prize disc sales were anywhere close to regular sales, even back in the dark days before the Internet.
I played casually for several years, mid 90s. I was lucky, Rick's Darts in Houston carried discs very early on. Someone, I always assumed it was John Houck, had gotten Academy to carry discs. So, there was a large retail presence. On top of that, like explained in the vid MTL loaded, there were at least two groups running minis to raise money for the local club, HFDS (they donated to local courses, and state wide events, still do). That tradition was already old when I started. Guys had been selling discs through HFDS for years. As an aside, those guys talked about DDC and Guts and still run local events.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,564 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I can only speak for my community, but I don't think that was the case when I began in the mid-90s. There was 1 course in town and not many people on it, period, but most of the ones I ever saw, were also tournament players (for the few tournaments there were). Even those that weren't, would show up at tournaments to buy discs---the only place they could get real selection (the guy selling from his trunk, only had so much room in his trunk).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
It's like anything, there is more than one reality.

Buying discs at a tournament is the same as buying a disc out of a dudes trunk, though. It's different from winning them as a prize.

I was in St. Louis, which had a 15-year old scene. There was an unfortunate period of time when I had a job that included running a disc golf pro shop at a course and also (in an admittedly complete and total conflict of interest) handled Club merch at Club weeklies. Since I ended up knowing both numbers I knew I was selling 5X more discs than the Club was moving.

BUT...that Club number wasn't all prize discs. We sold discs as well. I don't recall what % of the inventory went to prizes, but it wasn't 100% so I was selling more than 5X what was being given as prizes. This was for a Club that ran weeklies, we literally had an event every weekend and sometimes two + a league. We gave away a lot of prize discs. It still wasn't close to what I was selling.

Also, We were not the only games in town. MC Sports sold discs. The 7-11 by Creve Coeur Park sold discs. There was a head shop nearby that sold Lightning Discs. Dave McCormack had started GDS and was selling discs (before he started making them.) There were three or four "disc in the trunk" sellers I was aware of. It really wasn't all that hard to find golf discs for sale in St. Louis by the mid-90's.

So I'm sure it was different in other places, but by the mid 90's I know that in St. Louis the number of prize discs that circulated a year was dwarfed by the number of discs that were bought and sold. There is no way that it was even anywhere close.
Location, location, location. We had a dozen old timers that grew up with the sport. Andi Lehman, Neal Dambra, Dave Nesbitt, Stimpy Powell and Wlicox. Those folks were involved from very early and drove things here.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 635 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
That is... Very unrelated to the question.
Not really as the PDGA has other sources they pull money from and not from tournaments taking the money. I thought I remember the local club a PDGA tournament director getting a check from PGDA minus the $5 fee for not being a PDGA member for the event after. I was explaining why the PDGA does not take the Tournament money and use it to cover PDGA costs.

I could be wrong about this and the Local club a person got a check from anther club In Aberdeen that disbanded in 2007 at almost the same time our local one was about to go in remission for a while until the club started back up in 2012 or 2013 doing more then one tournament again doing an event that was PDGA sponsored.