Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rotating front foot

So this year I'm committed to having just as strong of a BH as FH. I've been playing 4+ times a week since the end of march. Playing a mix of little pitch and putts with full courses. I started like people suggested with putters and mids and started to get some good distance and control. Then bought a couple leopards and really started to see distance over 250' and some line shaping. Now my BH approach under 225' is the strongest part of my game. All of this was done with basically no run-up or just a single step.

The past few weeks I've been using an x-step trying to get some more power. I got the x-step down, no prob, just like FH. I feel more comfortable taking a small slow x-step than a single step now. I've also seen in some clinic vids guys talking about rotating on the front foot when following through. The mechanics totally make sense and I see why this is beneficial. But i'm having the hardest time rotating that foot. To the point where now my knee is a bit sore after playing 24holes 4 times this week. I know its from not rotating correctly and I know what bad knee pain is from ski bumming for years. So i gotta fix something

Usually when I have a good throw, i'm following through but instead of rotating my foot, I sorta hop kinda. Like my body is forcing me forward on the follow through and my knee won't give, so i instinctively hop a bit. But every time I really focus on rotating on my heel whether it be w an x-step or not, I usually throw it sky high way right. I usually get no power out of the throw either. I can't seem to get it right, been trying all sorts of timing stuff, but never really works. I feel like following through correctly is whats holding my BH distance back, anything under 225 and its no issue.

Suggestions or tips? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,488 Times in 1,555 Posts

It's a pivot. It happens from being balanced properly and kinetic release of momentum.
Check it out:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=55947
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 67 Times in 40 Posts

From my experience--which admittedly is short--when you have the correct rotation, discs fading high and to the right is due to not keeping the nose of the disc down.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
It's a pivot. It happens from being balanced properly and kinetic release of momentum.
Check it out:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=55947
i know its a pivot, any suggestions to committing to that rotation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
From my experience--which admittedly is short--when you have the correct rotation, discs fading high and to the right is due to not keeping the nose of the disc down.
right, but when I dont rotate the heel, i keep the nose down fine, its when I try to rotate on it, I'm probably going nose up along w something else. I feel like im losing all power when i rotate my heel
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

from the sound of it your getting your body out of position trying to rotate on your heel and possibly changing the angle of your arm throughout some stage of your throw whether it's the reachback/pull through/hit. Try doing standstill throws and shifting your weight from the left side to the right side and getting a little heel pivot included just before the hit. Watch Will Schusterick on youtube and you will see the perfect heel pivot...I think they have him throwing and parking a 500' hole from some European Open.....perfect form....watch and try to emulate his technique.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 67 Times in 40 Posts

The two things that really made my game better, was making sure I got my weight forward with the heel rotation and switching over the the "Climo Grip"

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocaholic74 View Post
from the sound of it your getting your body out of position trying to rotate on your heel and possibly changing the angle of your arm throughout some stage of your throw whether it's the reachback/pull through/hit. Try doing standstill throws and shifting your weight from the left side to the right side and getting a little heel pivot included just before the hit. Watch Will Schusterick on youtube and you will see the perfect heel pivot...I think they have him throwing and parking a 500' hole from some European Open.....perfect form....watch and try to emulate his technique.
will do, back to standstills it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
The two things that really made my game better, was making sure I got my weight forward with the heel rotation and switching over the the "Climo Grip"

yeah i switched to that grip a couple weeks ago instead of the power grip and its really helped a clean release. I think i've been trying to get my weight forward too much too soon
Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 30
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The rotation is fun, but is meant to save your knee, not hurt it.

Generally speaking, when done correctly, you do not realize you are doing it, you just have so much force going around you just pivot on your heel and lift your toes to allow your leg to twist.

What *I think* is happening is if you are throwing RHBH, you are planting all your weight and stopping force on the 'outside' of your foot, the side facing the target you are throwing towards. (little toe side) There is no room for your foot to move because it is already planted and at 'the end' so to speak.

If you consciously made some X steps, and focused on putting the planting weight on the 'inside' of your foot, on the side where the big toe is, you would see that you can, after the release, roll your foot, lifting the toes, and pivot around in a circle.

I believe it is a easy cure, just takes a little practice for it to become natural putting your weight on the inside, not the outside, of your foot when throwing.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,488 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw02 View Post
i know its a pivot, any suggestions to committing to that rotation?
What? You no read thread I link? You don't rotate the foot. You rotate around your pivot point/center axis balanced dynamically, and the foot will pivot.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 227
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

It sounds like when you hop at the end to pivot the foot is where the angle is going off. I try to think of it as not pivot on the heel but lifting the which works for me