Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 70 Posts
Default Push putting inconsistency

Let me begin by saying I've enjoyed the recent lack of prerubing.

I've been trying to push putt for the past several months. I've been trying this because I hear it's far more consistent than spin putting inside the circle. This has not been my experience, however.

My biggest problem is that I'm having trouble controlling the nose angle of the disc, so I miss low due to nose down putts a lot.

Also; however, I miss left and right quite often. I'd say about 2/5 go straight at my target. 2 of the misses go in from 10', but the other one doesn't go in at any distance.

I've switched my stance a lot, which usually changes where my arm is swingin; but most stance changes make some misses less likely, but other misses more likely. (Straight on feldyish nose angles are bad, and left to right is bad; straddle nikko type I miss low a lot more, and to the right quite a bit; swinging my arm in front of my body, I miss left a lot, and low a lot too)

The only thing I've done that adds consistency (and not the consistency I hear people have with it) is to bend my elbow and putt some spin on it. Which I hear is bad.

I putt more upright than I think I see a lot of push putters, but not so upright that I can't push my hips forward. When I try mimicking them, I can't find a comfortable rear position, and everything goes wrong.

I'm really fascinated by the push putt, but I'm having no success with it. If anyone can help me out with this, that would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Watch Avery Jenkins "deep in the game." On YouTube. That helped me so much with my putting. He describes the difference and how I do both and may show you what's wrong!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 161
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe there is always some push and spin going on regardless of what type of putt you are emulating.

If you are finding the most consistency with a little arm bend, I say go for it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.8
Courses Played: 370
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 107 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Let me begin by saying I've enjoyed the recent lack of prerubing.
Lets you feel like you discovered something first---kinda like Columbus, yes?

Me, I putt like I throw, unless obstacles force a different putt.

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 06-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Watch Will S. His elbow bends...a pure push putt is not at all accurate. There needs to be a certain amount of spin coming from slight movement in the elbow and from spring in the fingers...none needs to be coming from your wrist. The wrist movement is really what you are trying to to eliminate, along with minimizing the amount of elbow bend.

The other way the disc propels is through the pendulum motion. Your arm swing should start slow and follow through should raise your arm up to at least above the basket.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Sophomore

Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 30 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el siege View Post
I believe there is always some push and spin going on regardless of what type of putt you are emulating.

If you are finding the most consistency with a little arm bend, I say go for it.
I agree with this.. I think all putting is more 'spushy' than either 'pure' ideal (push putt vs spin putt). But I do think that the overall goal of the 'push' putt, to reduce the number of (body-mechanical) moving parts in the putting motion, is a good ideal.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
Watch Will S. His elbow bends...a pure push putt is not at all accurate. There needs to be a certain amount of spin coming from slight movement in the elbow and from spring in the fingers...none needs to be coming from your wrist. The wrist movement is really what you are trying to to eliminate, along with minimizing the amount of elbow bend.

The other way the disc propels is through the pendulum motion. Your arm swing should start slow and follow through should raise your arm up to at least above the basket.
I might be a little confused about how the hand moves around the disc. If you're pushing it with your palm, the disc has to be in front of the palm, which is not where it starts.

One thing (from feldy's video posted here somewhere recently) is that you should "paint the pole" and I'm having no luck doing that. I feel like I'm only painting one spot on the pole, which I believe would explain my inconsistency?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
Lets you feel like you discovered something first---kinda like Columbus, yes?

Me, I putt like I throw, unless obstacles force a different putt.
Right! Like the answers I'm getting are new and directed at me, not some intangible problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think bholy nailed it.
Evens Nikko bends his arm to a degree when hes putting from a longer distance.
The only thing to avoid is to use the wrist. It is a little movement with a wide spread.