Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Will Brodie Smith > Dustin Keegan?
Yes, Keegan is a scrub. 38 23.90%
No, Brodie is all hype. 55 34.59%
Hi, I'm Casey_1988 and my Uncle's 2nd cousin says... 66 41.51%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2020, 03:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 241
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Not being able to edit tourney rounds?
all it will take is one tourney
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2020, 03:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,139 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Ken Climo
Kevin Jones
GG
AJ
Yeah, strength matters, strength to weight ratio is very important. All powerful throwers in all sports have a very high strength to weight ratio..

If disc golf even goes simi mainstream, there will be much more athletic players in the sport. If the current trend keeps up, in 10 years most of the current pros won't even be able to break in the top 10 on open courses. It will be like expecting MJ to win the San Frisco Open now.

Age may be the barrier that keeps Smith from becoming a top 5 player. The more I think about it, he plays ball golf well, which is a much more difficult mental game than DG.

Time will tell.

Can Eagle do 10 pushups yet?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 PM
Par Member

Niced 184 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Ken Climo
Kevin Jones
GG
AJ
Yeah, strength matters, strength to weight ratio is very important. All powerful throwers in all sports have a very high strength to weight ratio..

If disc golf even goes simi mainstream, there will be much more athletic players in the sport. If the current trend keeps up, in 10 years most of the current pros won't even be able to break in the top 10 on open courses. It will be like expecting MJ to win the San Frisco Open now.

Age may be the barrier that keeps Smith from becoming a top 5 player. The more I think about it, he plays ball golf well, which is a much more difficult mental game than DG.

Time will tell.
Absolutely. And yes to your second point about the athletes that WILL be taking over disc golf in the coming decades. I'll point to this guy as an example. Sean Tapley, former Division 1 wide receiver from North Carolina, only playing for 4 years and already throws a mile. Athletes like him are the future of the sport, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Imagine how much farther he would throw if he could do 50. He throws that far despite the fact, not because of it. Adding size, weight and strength would only reinforce his skills.

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 01-20-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,297 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Yes he can, with 3 or 4 takes. I doubt those great throws we see on video are his first.

I don't hate Brodie, I know very little about him. I just think it's ridiculous to believe that he'll be a top player in disc golf this year or for the next few years. We will see this summer. I now I could be wrong about his play but I've already made one bet over it and don't think I'll be proven wrong come January 2021.

Being intentionally dense is hilarious.

Have you ever actually played competitive Ultimate?

It takes an athlete to be good at it.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,621 Times in 1,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
all it will take is one tourney
brah, you don't even no, brodie's going to come out of the gate with some mad 1000 rated rounds. all that training from simon and paul will pay off and keegs will be crying in the corner like a little baby.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 67 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I'm amazed he can actually carry his bag.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,410 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Absolutely. And yes to your second point about the athletes that WILL be taking over disc golf in the coming decades. I'll point to this guy as an example. Sean Tapley, former Division 1 wide receiver from North Carolina, only playing for 4 years and already throws a mile. Athletes like him are the future of the sport, no doubt about it.

Imagine how much farther he would throw if he could do 50. He throws that far despite the fact, not because of it. Adding size, weight and strength would only reinforce his skills.
Yeah, Tapley went from playing Rec to cashing in MPO in a year. The thing a lot of people fail to recognize about athletes who have played other sports is that in addition to being talented they already know the importance of focused practice in order to improve. Some people never get that through their heads.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:39 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
He would throw farther, if he keeps his muscle flexibility. There is a point where the benefits from having stronger arms are counterbalanced by the loss in arm speed.

And I can say with certitude that he lost more tournaments by breaking his own hand, than by lacking distance, so he might need that extra calcium more than that extra distance...

Old 01-20-2020, 06:27 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 9 Times in 5 Posts

Brodie Smith will win worlds this year. You heard it first from me because I'm not being serious.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,405 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:

A little, but not much. The pectoral muscles play very little in either a backhand or a forehand. Overhands, yeah, somewhat.

Strong legs, core and to a lesser degree, the shoulders, is where the power comes from. Over developed pecs can slow one down.

For general health, yeah, some pushups will be good for him.