Old 01-27-2020, 07:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
When I started in the mid 90's a dx aviar cost $7-$8 retail which is still what they cost today.
True. And I think that is unlikely to change.

To Three Putt's general point though, golf discs have and will likely continue to become more expensive. It's important to note that most of the price increases has been driven by the quality of the materials used rather than the popularity of the sport. 20-25 years ago, it was unthinkable that there might be golf discs that retail for $20-25 regularly because everything was DX quality. Premium plastics were a real game changer in the industry.

I can definitely see a time where you can spend $30-35+ per disc to assemble a bag. But the key is that you can, not that you must. Baseline plastic will remain for the more cost-conscious folks. As long as the majority of courses are available for free in public parks and you can easily acquire a set of DX-quality discs, the selling point of the sport being inexpensive will continue to thrive.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,308 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
I did load up on 12 other discs, well because I can’t stop buying discs and they were pretty......
So you bought $150 worth of discs, but you're complaining about a $5 change in price point?

Next thread, please.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 88
Niced 2,021 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Thunder View Post
So I was at PIA as I am every week some times 4 times a week. I did note the fine folks over at Discraft appear to have no shame about what they think the new signature appear to be worth these days. Last year’s Mcbeth 4X Force was 15.99, this years 5X is a 19.99 disc. The plastic was the same clear red, at the same store, on the same rack, but the 4 dollar stamp made all the difference apparently. Well, I didn’t buy any, in fact no Discraft went with me. I did load up on 12 other discs, well because I can’t stop buying discs and they were pretty......

Hey Discraft, I am moving on to the next company.

P.S. Also, Paige’s, new putter has not won anything yet, 20 bucks out of line. The Luna did not start that high and it has now actually done something. Now the Luna price moved to 19.99 and I have moved on. I did throw the Luna, gave them away after a few months. Nice disc, just not what I need anymore. Using a Chief, no glide and flies like a brick, 10.99.

And for those of you who think I am cheap, trust me, money is not one of my problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Money may not be your problem, but being a Hater is.

Just dont buy it, why come on here and cry about it?
There was hate in that post??? Where???

You know, I posted something similar on Facebook to what Plastic did last week stating how I did not appreciate the fact that DC was catering to the collector market it seems to the exclusion of the rest of us who buy discs to throw and not hang on wall of flip to some fanboi such as yourself. Funny how a little criticism thrown the way of a manufacturer and people like you are so quick to immediately labeled critics a "hater."

Personally, I think if a manufacturer wants to stay in touch with their consumer base it's important to read criticisms like this. Otherwise, how would they know what's irritating their consumer base?

-Dave

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 254 Times in 126 Posts

All of Discraft tour series discs have been retailing at $20. Mj Comet, Austin Turner Force, Nate Doss Buzzz, Valerie Jenkins Thrasher.

https://www.discraft.com/tourseries2019

Not saying that I am always willing to pay that but it been pretty common the past 2+ years.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,059 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
When I started in the mid 90's a dx aviar cost $7-$8 retail which is still what they cost today.
I don't think we are to the place where manufacturers believe that the low-cost accessibility to the game is no longer important. So far they seem fairly reluctant to move very far away from the $7 DX/$10 Pro/$13 Champ/$15 Star general range that was set basically as each plastic was introduced. The push upmarket is happening in specialty runs; we can ensure cheap golf discs by simply refusing to buy them. That doesn't seem to be working, though.

Maybe we will get away with it; all the disc companies seem to be run by disc golfers so maybe they will always fundamentally believe in $8 golf disc as important even if the market allows them to move that price point up. Who knows?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Niced 2,150 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post

You know, I posted something similar on Facebook to what Plastic did last week stating how I did not appreciate the fact that DC was catering to the collector market it seems to the exclusion of the rest of us who buy discs to throw and not hang on wall of flip to some fanboi such as yourself. Funny how a little criticism thrown the way of a manufacturer and people like you are so quick to immediately labeled critics a "hater."

Personally, I think if a manufacturer wants to stay in touch with their consumer base it's important to read criticisms like this. Otherwise, how would they know what's irritating their consumer base?

-Dave
I'd argue that Discraft is staying in touch with their consumer base. They wouldn't set the msrp at $19.99 if people weren't willing to pay it. Nobody is making you buy these specialty runs. If you want a thrower, those prices remain the same.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 71
Niced 174 Times in 87 Posts

They all fly the same, just get the cheapest ones.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Courses Played: 67
Niced 2,150 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
They all fly the same, just get the cheapest ones.
Clearly, you don't throw Innova.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 75
Niced 328 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:

-Dave
If u dont see the obvious. I cant help u.

-Eric

Old 01-27-2020, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
.... I did not appreciate the fact that DC was catering to the collector market it seems to the exclusion of the rest of us who buy discs to throw and not hang on wall of flip to some fanboi such as yourself. ...

-Dave
I missed the announcement that Discraft was ceasing all production runs. How did a fanboi like myself, miss it?! Thankfully for the very limited time being, I can still find the reasonably priced, 7-15 dollar "final run" in every online store in exsistence.

Sarcasm aside, a bit of hater is coming through in the OP, I think. It's like saying you would never throw DGA again, because when Steady Ed died he had his ashes put into discs that initially dropped at $200 a pop. Sure they still had their regular lineup, but that $200 business pissed me off.