Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 74
Niced 206 Times in 64 Posts

Yeah...no scores on the final groups for a few hours...was it weather? Or something else?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2020, 09:45 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 87
Niced 29 Times in 15 Posts

Scores are up now.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 487 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I've played tourneys where it was an option and had no interest in being the one using my phone all round. Some card mates agreed to do it, some didn't. Not everyone likes being shackled to their phone.
Yup. I suspect that keeping score on a phone will become the norm one day, but it holds that 1) some people, whatever the percentage, don’t have smart phones, 2) some don’t want to use them for scoring, and 3) if you are like me and use your phone as a medical device, then you’re possessive about battery life across a stretch of continuous hours away from a recharge.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 343 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
Yup. I suspect that keeping score on a phone will become the norm one day, but it holds that 1) some people, whatever the percentage, don’t have smart phones, 2) some don’t want to use them for scoring, and 3) if you are like me and use your phone as a medical device, then you’re possessive about battery life across a stretch of continuous hours away from a recharge.
Not trying to counter your point and suggest everyone add weight to their disc bag, but you should get a portable cell phone charger. My phone isn't a medical device, but having multiple recharges has helped me survive long plane rides.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 487 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
Not trying to counter your point and suggest everyone add weight to their disc bag, but you should get a portable cell phone charger. My phone isn't a medical device, but having multiple recharges has helped me survive long plane rides.
I look at them from time to time. Probably a good idea. Surely beats going to car at lunch to add charge.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 460 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If the TD wanted to go above and beyond, couldn't they backfill the hole scores later?
Yup, it's pretty easy to do in Tournament Manager.
6+ rounds for 700 players, every single score recorded: https://www.pdga.com/apps/tournament...RoundID=905091
4 rounds for 200 players, every single score recorded: https://www.pdga.com/apps/tournament...oundID=1418281
Old 02-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 460 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
I've played tourneys where it was an option and had no interest in being the one using my phone all round. Some card mates agreed to do it, some didn't. Not everyone likes being shackled to their phone.
Rather, "I don't understand why more players don't use it."
I totally get the limitations and the exceptions. I come down very strongly in the camp that electronic scoring must never be mandatory and paper cards should always be available. (at least, for the foreseeable future.)
But getting 20 players' scores recorded out of 444 players (4.5% adoption rate) is insanely low.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,974 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Rather, "I don't understand why more players don't use it."
I totally get the limitations and the exceptions. I come down very strongly in the camp that electronic scoring must never be mandatory and paper cards should always be available. (at least, for the foreseeable future.)
But getting 20 players' scores recorded out of 444 players (4.5% adoption rate) is insanely low.
In an instance like this, I suspect it was a TD/staff fail rather than players choosing not to do live scoring. By that I mean that they did a poor job of informing players about the live scoring password, if they did at all. Just as an example, for the US Masters last year, it wasn't until Sunday morning (after 3 rounds) that an email was sent out with the instructions and password. Any live scoring prior to that was only due to players specifically asking for the password.

That said, plenty of players will still choose not to do live scoring even when giving clear instructions, but I can't imagine this many top pros would do so when live scoring has become so ubiquitous for them. It's not like there weren't enough caddies or other hangers-on to do it if the players preferred not to.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-17-2020, 03:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,470 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
I've found that sweetening the pot by suggesting that the one who is doing phone scoring should be excused from taking a turn with the pencil and paper scorecard works well. There's almost always someone around who haaaates the pencil and paper and jumps on this chance.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Nova P; 02-17-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,870 Times in 2,557 Posts

Ian and Seppo on the mics

Niced: (2)