Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,061 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Hey my last name is close in the alphabet to Wysocki, next time they're in town I can "turn pro" and play with him on SpinTV for a round!
I'll be sure to call you ahead of time and make sure it's OK, just so we're compliant.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 106 Times in 42 Posts

If people want to complain, set the cards by rating and be done with it. You want to play with best, be the best. If you play well you can play with them in rounds 2 and 3. I feel as if super cards are essential to good media coverage both live and post produced. This seems to hurt post produced, which has better numbers, more than live. I think the wording for it having to be “live” coverage is ridiculous. If you don’t want super cards at random C tiers, fine. But when there’s media present and a chance to grow the sport, super cards are better. I personally like 3 “super card players” and the best local. It seems to get the best of both worlds

Last edited by discgolfer25; 10-19-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 315 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Interestingly enough, next year a super group REQUIRES live coverage and Tour Manager approval.

"First round “Super Groups” for media purposes are NOT allowed unless for live
coverage and previously approved by each player within the group and by the
PDGA Tour Manager"

So if USDGC or any other event wants to do a super group for the first round, live coverage will have to happen.
OK, I can understand why the super groups get some complaints, but...

A little circumspection might be in order here.

Super Groups, in my experience, are for media coverage.
"Grow the Sport" and all that.
Eyes are money and all that.
Just seems to inexplicably short-sighted.
"Inconceivable!" (Princess Bride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who the heck wants to watch McBeth or Wysocki play with 3 random schmucks?
Well said.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 222 Times in 114 Posts

Out of curiosity how does ball golf set their cards?

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 923 Times in 431 Posts

From a competition standpoint i have always disliked the supergroups. From a perspective of attempting to grow the sport I can see their usefulness however. What I really don't get is why the presence/absence of them is tied to live coverage as opposed to anything else in this ruling. Seems like a smack in the face of all the post-production guys who imo are creating more marketable product than the live stuff.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.6
Niced 621 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who the heck wants to watch McBeth or Wysocki play with 3 random schmucks?
This rule was not made for NT's and Majors, where live coverage typically happens. The average disc golf fan will still see the guys the want.

This was made for the random B Tiers where John's disc golf video company is filming for their 80 subscriber you tube channel and picks the four best players who are 960, 980, 990 and 1000 from the field.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 2,413 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Out of curiosity how does ball golf set their cards?

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk
Depends on the tourney. The US Open used to have the defending champion, the US Amateur champ, and I think the British Open champ as the last group to tee off on Thursday. Not sure if they still do that or not.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 10-20-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.6
Niced 621 Times in 292 Posts

PGA Championship does the three major winners from the current year.

The tour playoffs tee in order of seeding (1, 2, 3 in group 1. 4, 5, 6 group 2, etc)
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 2,413 Times in 1,318 Posts

The Masters is a little secretive about its groupings...

Quote:
Augusta National Golf Club has a committee of members who meet and determine which players are grouped together in Rounds 1 and 2, and what those groupings' tee times will be.

Those committee members exercise full authority, and have complete discretion to group players as they see fit.
Otherwise, Augusta National does not divulge any trade secrets about the process; they don't discuss it at all. But it's definitely not a random draw. The pairings and times are the result of consultation among the club's tournament committee members.

The One Traditional Pairing

There is one Masters pairing that is the same every year: The reigning U.S. Amateur champion (if he's still an amateur) plays Rounds 1 and 2 with the defending champion of The Masters. (If the reigning U.S. Amateur winner turns pro prior to The Masters, he forgoes his spot in the tournament.)

The Pairings Process Also Considers Fans, TV Networks

The pairings and tee times at The Masters also take into account the needs of television broadcasters and of fans.

For example, the two biggest stars in the field are likely to play at opposite ends of the draw.

Let's use Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods as examples. Most likely, one will play in the morning tee times and the other will play in the afternoon. This guarantees that one of the two biggest stars, either Mickelson or Woods in this example, will be playing during television coverage.

Those are the kinds of things the Augusta competition committee will think about when making the pairings.

They also aren't immune to having a little fun in the first two rounds with "theme" groups. For example, in 2009 one of the early round groups was comprised of three young hotshots, Anthony Kim, Rory McIlroy and Ryo Ishikawa. Nothing random about that kind of grouping. It's a group that fans and the TV network will be happy with.

The committee might group three former champions together, or three winners of other majors, or three golfers of the same nationality. But most of the tee times won't have such a clear connection between the golfers within them.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Niced 198 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
This rule was not made for NT's and Majors, where live coverage typically happens. The average disc golf fan will still see the guys the want.

This was made for the random B Tiers where John's disc golf video company is filming for their 80 subscriber you tube channel and picks the four best players who are 960, 980, 990 and 1000 from the field.
Then they should state that in the manual. Otherwise, we get the debate we are having now.

Niced: (2)