Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I like that a couple events have used different basket locations for different rounds, this year. Though, I think those events may have been NT not DGPT? PFDO was one I think? USDGC was another. If the DGPT is gonna continue to do the single course format I think using different locations should be used where applicable. Not necessarily on every hole but a few mixed in throughout the course would be cool. Maple Hill is an obvious candidate. Idlewild has several holes with multiple locations but most haven't been used in years.
Just a minor correction, PFDO played the same course everyday, they did switch some basket locations after day 1 though.

IMO this should be the format, same course but change up the basket locations to offer different ways that the pros need to attack the course. This allows them to still have ample opportunity to practice a course, while allowing spectators to see something different day to day.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 60 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The winner putts last if everyone is close and all the putts are all but assured. That doesn't mean a player should have lay up a make-able putt just to ensure that they putt out last for the show of it. She was 25-30 feet out. It's her turn to putt, let her freaking putt and if she makes it, she makes it.

I get that she had an insurmountable lead so one extra throw wasn't going to cost her, and that Steve is trying to think about the visuals and making things look good, but that's just bad form to do that, especially as she's setting up to putt. If he really wanted her to make the last putt, he should have brought it up earlier. At least then, it's more organic if it happens.

Just an additional thought...this was PDGA sanctioned so I assume that the rounds will be rated. I think she was gunning for a hot round (1000+) and had no interest in laying up. She ran at and made the putt on 17 when she didn't really have to as well. Her -6 was better than two of the five MPO players in the final round. She makes history every time she raises her rating and I bet it's a source of pride for her. Every putt counts in that pursuit.
in the case of an insurmountable lead the card should always put out and let the winner have the stage IMO. Golf does this all the time. Not comparing anything to golf before the crazies show up but it makes for a good viewing on the TV/youtube side and gallery cheering. just my .02$
Old 10-24-2017, 11:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,342 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatRedDude View Post
in the case of an insurmountable lead the card should always put out and let the winner have the stage IMO. Golf does this all the time. Not comparing anything to golf before the crazies show up but it makes for a good viewing on the TV/youtube side and gallery cheering. just my .02$
Right, but in golf, you're talking about one other player, maybe two, putting out ahead of the winner, not 3-4 others. Also, there are always occasions where the winner rolls in a long putt or even holes one from off the green on the final hole. In other words, the circumstances dictate whether the leader is the last to hole out...it should never be mandatory or inorganically created for the show of it.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 212
Niced 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to with an admittedly half-assed search of this forum...

Is this a temporary version of this course made just for the tournament, or is it a redesign from the one that is featured in the directory?
Old 10-25-2017, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 43
Niced 131 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Judging from the number of mentions and announcements already (5 holes), it seems like an extremely poor decision to allow for spectators to follow the group in carts.

Just another reason disc golf on ball golf courses suck.
I thought this was a big mistake. It was a mess the day before, too, and I asked Steve Dodge if he had any plans for crowd control. He said he did not, and that the carts seemed like fun. I suggested he ask the players how they feel. Ultimately, though, they were renting out those carts, so the cash for the course was king. But they absolutely needed to have it more controlled.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 43
Niced 131 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agreed. In addition, it's just in Paige's DNA to push herself to see just how good she can do. And so she went for putts on 17 and 18 when layups would've been understandable.

As to the conflict with Steve, it looked like he interrupted he just as she was in her routine and about to throw her (final) putt. HUGE faux pas, there. Just speculating, but I suspect THAT bothered her more than whatever he actually said...
The word "unprofessional" was used. More than once.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 4
Niced 140 Times in 78 Posts

Big Sexy Commentary Destroyer anyone?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 87
Niced 267 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
The word "unprofessional" was used. More than once.
Nobody likes to be interrupted during their routine and she is justified in getting pissy. HOWEVER... a little awareness and maturity on her part, would've changed the narrative from an unsavory ending story, to a more polished & memorable finish for all the fans and spectators.

This wasn't a rated round and she had a 5 stroke lead going into the final hole. If it were me and I was trying to grow the sport for women, I believe I would be a little more conscious of that fact and embrace the show.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:34 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,022 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
Nobody likes to be interrupted during their routine and she is justified in getting pissy. HOWEVER... a little awareness and maturity on her part, would've changed the narrative from an unsavory ending story, to a more polished & memorable finish for all the fans and spectators.

This wasn't a rated round and she had a 5 stroke lead going into the final hole. If it were me and I was trying to grow the sport for women, I believe I would be a little more conscious of that fact and embrace the show.
It's ultimately the player's choice. When Ricky won his first World Championship, he intentionally laid up in order to have the last drop-in putt. If memory serves me correctly, Paige did not do that at the 2017 Worlds (I could be wrong and will hear corrections gladly). And Paige did not wish to do that at last weekend's tournament (maybe she wanted to show off those awesome Paige Pierce Deputy putters ).

Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 805 Times in 495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
It's ultimately the player's choice. When Ricky won his first World Championship, he intentionally laid up in order to have the last drop-in putt. If memory serves me correctly, Paige did not do that at the 2017 Worlds (I could be wrong and will hear corrections gladly). And Paige did not wish to do that at last weekend's tournament (maybe she wanted to show off those awesome Paige Pierce Deputy putters ).

I understand that what Steve did was unprofessional in Paige's eyes, but go watch sport on TV. It's all managed, timeouts, etc. to get maximum exposure. The men's side is more used to this and the guys on the card work together. I'm still standing by Steve. I suspect he was caught off guard by the situation. He isn't stupid to want to maximize the impact. He has sponsors paying for that.

I'm going to sort of disagree that it's Paige's decision. As I wrote above, every major sport manages these things to some degree. Maybe it should be Paige's decision, but pro sport doesn't work that way.