* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 225
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 114 Times in 62 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to roadtripstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Which would put you in the virtual lead right now for ROY! Good luck!
Thanks. I am trying to make it down to an A-Tier in VA next weekend as well. I've played my heart out this season for sure. Injuries and all.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 134 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
Unless I'm not thinking of somebody, Austin Turner seems like an obvious Rookie of the Year. He's played in a ton of the top tournaments and has had some real solid finishes. Winning the Nantucket Open just showed how well he can play when his whole game comes together. Can anyone think of somebody that can even come close to his play? I guess James Conrad would be considered for this.
I would not be surprised to see the various tours, or media outlets *cough*ultiworld*cough* put out their own ROY awards. Because you are right: In my eyes - and in the eyes of most who follow the pro side, I am sure - Austin would definitely be ROY. That's not to take away anything from those who have worked hard toward the proper PDGA points awards. But from a touring/eyeballs aspect more awards might be in order.

We put out POY and Breakout Player of the Year last year. Might need to add ROY to the list.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 773 Times in 380 Posts

Turner was not a rookie this season. He won thousands of dollars in both 2015 and 2016. Of course, that sort of thing didn't stop dgpt from naming James Conrad top rookie last year in his 9th (?) year as a pro.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,759 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Turner was not a rookie this season. He won thousands of dollars in both 2015 and 2016. Of course, that sort of thing didn't stop dgpt from naming James Conrad top rookie last year in his 9th (?) year as a pro.
The truly ironic thing about DGPT naming anyone rookie of the year is that if it was based solely on DGPT events, wouldn't everyone participating in the first year of the tour be a "rookie"?

Without a clear dividing line (like MLB/AAA) between levels, it's difficult to classify who is/isn't a rookie. Thus the PDGA's dividing line is the only one they really have...when someone turns pro. Not when they win a big event or become a "household" name, but when they achieve an objective status during a specific time period. It's the only fair way to do it.

If we want an NT rookie of the year or a DGPT rookie of the year, there need to be clear guidelines defined. And I'd argue they should go beyond just "this is the first year I've ever heard of player x therefore he/she is a rookie".
Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 89
Niced 303 Times in 146 Posts

Last year was James Conrad's first year of actual national touring so I like and understand the DGPT choice there. I do agree though that the PDGA ROY system should be redefined.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 269
Niced 104 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Looks like Brenden Tetloff from Michigan is in the lead over Grady Shue from North Carolina for the men.

https://www.pdga.com/files/poy_roy_sep_2017_-_men.pdf

There a several ladies with a chance at the ROY title. Sandi Hendel (Ontario, Canada) and Sai Par Ananda (Washington) are only 1/2 point apart, while Kristi Moore (Ohio) and Autumn Grace (Virginia) are close behind.

https://www.pdga.com/files/poy_roy_sep_2017_-_women.pdf
All the NC Guys keep messing things up by touring half way through the season. Austin did it last year and Grady this year. Would be great to rack up all the Am worlds titles AND rookie of the year titles.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 162
Niced 101 Times in 60 Posts

Keep up the good work, roadtripstuff! Great to see a long time contributor here having success as a pro.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 151
Niced 312 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
And I've gotten 10 more points in the last two weekends. One win was super hard fought. down 7 strokes with only 10 holes left. Tied it up and forced the playoff to win. I have a couple more points opportunities on the year so we shall see.
Congrats! You don't know me but I am friends with your 2016 Am Worlds Mixed Doubles partner and I'm originally from C-bus. Great to see you made the jump to Pro. Need to get on Joe to quit sandbagging and make the jump too.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 89
Niced 303 Times in 146 Posts

Looks like Adam Hammes played in the 2016 Am Championships. This year he played all Open, could he be a candidate?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 204
Niced 80 Times in 31 Posts

Negative, and not particularly close. He cashed in open in 11 tournaments in 2016, racking up over $4000.