#151  
Old 10-26-2017, 01:56 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,386
Niced 1,121 Times in 656 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Actually they do not hold people from attempting putts or any other shots for that matter. In fact the marshals are usually pushing the players to play faster. They have multiple cameras on every hole and if something happens while they're on commercial, or covering another player, you will here the announcer say, "This was a moment ago" or "This was what caused that roar you heard during So-and-so's shot." Probably the only time the players ask about or are told the cameras are on them is when they want to smoke a cigarette.
I keep using the term marshall when I shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that if the winning player putted out on a final hole and it got missed because no one asked him to wait for the camera to move, it would be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,386
Niced 1,121 Times in 656 Posts
Default

"Uh Bob, we missed that thirty foot putt by Phil to win the Masters cause no one asked him to wait for the camera. Back to you."

"No problem Joe, our fans in TV land heard the roar."
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 10-26-2017, 02:01 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,891
Niced 2,413 Times in 1,318 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I keep using the term marshall when I shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that if the winning player putted out on a final hole and it got missed because no one asked him to wait for the camera to move, it would be a problem.
They usually cover the greens with tower cams and are always live for situations like that. Its pretty funny that you said you don't watch a lot of ball golf and then start arguing with people that do about what happens.


Last edited by brutalbrutus; 10-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM
NegaSnapples NegaSnapples is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Years Playing: 5.5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 197
Niced 133 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Why are people in here acting like it's OK to interrupt a professional athlete when they're trying to perform?

Finishing out is something that the players should police themselves. Even in regular golf they do this themselves, not under the direction of someone else.

I agree it's better aesthetically for her to hole out last. However, she's a competitor. She's competing against herself as much as she's competing with the other ladies. She wanted to get the best possible score she could. I understand her mentality there.

Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 10-26-2017, 02:12 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,386
Niced 1,121 Times in 656 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
They usually cover the greens with tower cams and are always live for situations like that. Its pretty funny that you said you don't watch a lot of ball golf and then start arguing with people that do about what happens.
I think that's exactly the point. Ball golf has had long enough to put this stuff together so that they are covered. We haven't. Try this scenario. There's a power loss to the tower cam covering the final hole. Do you say play it out or ask the players to wait?

I may not know all the in and outs of ball golf, but I do know how marketing executives and businesses work. They're pretty careful about their product and what gets said and done.

I had a similar discussion on cheating in golf a couple of months ago where numerous ball golf posters swore up and down, mostly at me, that ball golfers are hugely ethical and cheating didn't occur there. It does and the evidence was easy to find. You don't have to be an expert to understand human nature and investment in a process.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 10-26-2017, 02:16 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,386
Niced 1,121 Times in 656 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
Why are people in here acting like it's OK to interrupt a professional athlete when they're trying to perform?

Finishing out is something that the players should police themselves. Even in regular golf they do this themselves, not under the direction of someone else.

I agree it's better aesthetically for her to hole out last. However, she's a competitor. She's competing against herself as much as she's competing with the other ladies. She wanted to get the best possible score she could. I understand her mentality there.
In a perfect world where all that matters is the game, you bet. We used to have that. It was called the Olympic games. Nothing has been like that in a very long time, including the modern Olympic games.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Countchunkula's Avatar
Countchunkula Countchunkula is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,216
Niced 111 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Unfortunately, you're right. I remember an NFL kickoff return for a TD being taken away because TV had not come back to the game from their commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tomahawk View Post
I don't remember that ever happening. What game was that?
Meant to call bs on this as well.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Steve West Steve West is offline
Par Delusionary
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 322
Posts: 4,372
Niced 1,123 Times in 584 Posts
Default

This is a course that will benefit a lot from refinements geared to optimizing the competitive aspects.


Here are the x-rays of a few select holes.


Hole #3 is an example of a good par 2. The higher skilled players got more 2s and fewer 3s. However, the fact that a par 2 could contribute this much to the final results indicates that the course as a whole is not very strong as a test of skill.

Hole #11 is about as blah as a hole can get, but it was the fifth strongest hole.

Hole #8A had the most influence on the final scores – mostly from sheer force of a high average score. However, look at the 6s. Higher scores should get less frequent for better players. The 5s and 7s go down, but not 6s. Some sort of double penalty is going on that isn’t helping anything. Either the new “mark near where it lies in OB” or Relief Area rule would be good to apply here.

Hole #12 shows how a hole can actually generate more tie scores than if it had been left out. The scoring spread was OK, as it gave out 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s, but there was no discrimination about who they went to. Randomly handing out scores clumps final results.
Attached Images
File Type: png DGPT17Stats.png (35.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DGPT17XRays.jpg (151.1 KB, 128 views)
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 PM
BuiltTooLong's Avatar
BuiltTooLong BuiltTooLong is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Courses Played: 91
Posts: 438
Niced 385 Times in 191 Posts
Default

**Puts pitchfork down** Thanks for all the great info as always Steve. I think given the format of this event, it's hard to draw conclusions on how well a hole plays. The discrimination factor on how a hole plays is greatly varied by the scenario each player was facing at the time. As it became clear to a player that they had no chance of making the cut, they inevitably took scores they normally would not have if purely playing for their best round.

**Picks pitchfork back up** Hole 3 is NOT an "example of a good par 2" because I refuse to accept that any hole should be a par 2, much less a hole on a championship style course.
Reply With Quote
 

  #160  
Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden State
Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,390
Niced 198 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
This whole thing is just dumb and could have been easily avoided. Before the round started, he should have gathered the lead card and said "If anyone has an unbeatable lead going into the final hole, or gains an unbeatable lead during the final hole, that person should be the last to hole out. So, if you are inside (however many feet he thought was reasonable) let the others finish out before you play."...
I followed up with Steve, and this is exactly what he said he intended to do but did not end up doing. In that case, then, I still think he should have just let things play out without trying to know what was going on.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 DGPT Tour Championship Oct 18-21 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 217 11-02-2018 05:21 PM
DGPT: Approved Baskets for the Pro Tour DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 200 12-16-2016 12:23 AM
DGPT: 2017 Pro Tour Championship DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 8 12-11-2016 11:16 PM
DGPT: 2017 Pro Tour Cards DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 9 09-08-2016 10:23 AM
DGPT: Host a Pro Tour House Party: Win a DGPT Zuca Cart! DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 2 09-07-2016 01:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.