Old 10-26-2017, 01:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,121 Times in 656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Actually they do not hold people from attempting putts or any other shots for that matter. In fact the marshals are usually pushing the players to play faster. They have multiple cameras on every hole and if something happens while they're on commercial, or covering another player, you will here the announcer say, "This was a moment ago" or "This was what caused that roar you heard during So-and-so's shot." Probably the only time the players ask about or are told the cameras are on them is when they want to smoke a cigarette.
I keep using the term marshall when I shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that if the winning player putted out on a final hole and it got missed because no one asked him to wait for the camera to move, it would be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

"Uh Bob, we missed that thirty foot putt by Phil to win the Masters cause no one asked him to wait for the camera. Back to you."

"No problem Joe, our fans in TV land heard the roar."
Old 10-26-2017, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,413 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I keep using the term marshall when I shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that if the winning player putted out on a final hole and it got missed because no one asked him to wait for the camera to move, it would be a problem.
They usually cover the greens with tower cams and are always live for situations like that. Its pretty funny that you said you don't watch a lot of ball golf and then start arguing with people that do about what happens.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 10-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Niced 133 Times in 70 Posts

Why are people in here acting like it's OK to interrupt a professional athlete when they're trying to perform?

Finishing out is something that the players should police themselves. Even in regular golf they do this themselves, not under the direction of someone else.

I agree it's better aesthetically for her to hole out last. However, she's a competitor. She's competing against herself as much as she's competing with the other ladies. She wanted to get the best possible score she could. I understand her mentality there.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
They usually cover the greens with tower cams and are always live for situations like that. Its pretty funny that you said you don't watch a lot of ball golf and then start arguing with people that do about what happens.
I think that's exactly the point. Ball golf has had long enough to put this stuff together so that they are covered. We haven't. Try this scenario. There's a power loss to the tower cam covering the final hole. Do you say play it out or ask the players to wait?

I may not know all the in and outs of ball golf, but I do know how marketing executives and businesses work. They're pretty careful about their product and what gets said and done.

I had a similar discussion on cheating in golf a couple of months ago where numerous ball golf posters swore up and down, mostly at me, that ball golfers are hugely ethical and cheating didn't occur there. It does and the evidence was easy to find. You don't have to be an expert to understand human nature and investment in a process.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSnapples View Post
Why are people in here acting like it's OK to interrupt a professional athlete when they're trying to perform?

Finishing out is something that the players should police themselves. Even in regular golf they do this themselves, not under the direction of someone else.

I agree it's better aesthetically for her to hole out last. However, she's a competitor. She's competing against herself as much as she's competing with the other ladies. She wanted to get the best possible score she could. I understand her mentality there.
In a perfect world where all that matters is the game, you bet. We used to have that. It was called the Olympic games. Nothing has been like that in a very long time, including the modern Olympic games.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 163
Niced 111 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Unfortunately, you're right. I remember an NFL kickoff return for a TD being taken away because TV had not come back to the game from their commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tomahawk View Post
I don't remember that ever happening. What game was that?
Meant to call bs on this as well.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.6
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,123 Times in 584 Posts

This is a course that will benefit a lot from refinements geared to optimizing the competitive aspects.

Here are the x-rays of a few select holes.

Hole #3 is an example of a good par 2. The higher skilled players got more 2s and fewer 3s. However, the fact that a par 2 could contribute this much to the final results indicates that the course as a whole is not very strong as a test of skill.

Hole #11 is about as blah as a hole can get, but it was the fifth strongest hole.

Hole #8A had the most influence on the final scores – mostly from sheer force of a high average score. However, look at the 6s. Higher scores should get less frequent for better players. The 5s and 7s go down, but not 6s. Some sort of double penalty is going on that isn’t helping anything. Either the new “mark near where it lies in OB” or Relief Area rule would be good to apply here.

Hole #12 shows how a hole can actually generate more tie scores than if it had been left out. The scoring spread was OK, as it gave out 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s, but there was no discrimination about who they went to. Randomly handing out scores clumps final results.
Attached Images
File Type: png DGPT17Stats.png (35.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DGPT17XRays.jpg (151.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 91
Niced 385 Times in 191 Posts

**Puts pitchfork down** Thanks for all the great info as always Steve. I think given the format of this event, it's hard to draw conclusions on how well a hole plays. The discrimination factor on how a hole plays is greatly varied by the scenario each player was facing at the time. As it became clear to a player that they had no chance of making the cut, they inevitably took scores they normally would not have if purely playing for their best round.

**Picks pitchfork back up** Hole 3 is NOT an "example of a good par 2" because I refuse to accept that any hole should be a par 2, much less a hole on a championship style course.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 198 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
This whole thing is just dumb and could have been easily avoided. Before the round started, he should have gathered the lead card and said "If anyone has an unbeatable lead going into the final hole, or gains an unbeatable lead during the final hole, that person should be the last to hole out. So, if you are inside (however many feet he thought was reasonable) let the others finish out before you play."...
I followed up with Steve, and this is exactly what he said he intended to do but did not end up doing. In that case, then, I still think he should have just let things play out without trying to know what was going on.

Niced: (1)