Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 93 Times in 29 Posts
Default Elaine Kings leaves Discraft due to not receiving a signature disc

News article here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/...s-elaine-king/

How hilarious is this!?!

Val Jenkins bashed innova for not giving her a signature disc and then pranced over to discraft last year... now less than a year later Elaine King leaves discraft for the exact same reason... not enough recognition and no signature disc.

and in between both of these events, Austin Turner of Discraft gets a signature disc! where was val crying when austin got a signature disc? why isn't val leaving discraft with elaine king!?

blah blah womens rights, sexism, blah blah.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 134
Niced 93 Times in 29 Posts

i find it interesting how Elaine King strictly calls it all business saying she hasn't met Discraft's terms of earning a signature disc and doesn't bring up Women's Rights at all...

...yet crazy feminist Val Jenkins made it all a Women's issue and said she was only treated that way because she was a woman.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 204 Times in 133 Posts

If I were a pro, I would just be grateful to have someone sponsoring me. IMO it sounds like they're acting a little spoiled.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,121 Times in 656 Posts

The truth is that Val created a media whorl-wind (okay, for us that would be a tempest in a teapot) that brought a bunch of attention with her when she moved to Discraft. Her move got their attention. But Elaine is correct. I recognize her, JK, Des Reading and some of the current top females as easily as I recognize any of the men. Their names carry weight.

Would I go out of my way to watch a video of them? No, I will, but I don't make near the effort that I do for the top males. That means they bring less attention to advertising. With the assumption that advertising matters, then I question their value.

As for selling signature discs. I'd really like to have someone do a real survey on the impact. I buy Nate Doss Buzzes, but cripes, try getting a titanium buzz without his name on it. I don't buy Paul McBeth Destroyers, cause I buy GStar and that taint his plastic. Meh.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 155
Niced 360 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedOrangeHat View Post
News article here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/...s-elaine-king/

How hilarious is this!?!

Val Jenkins bashed innova for not giving her a signature disc and then pranced over to discraft last year... now less than a year later Elaine King leaves discraft for the exact same reason... not enough recognition and no signature disc.

and in between both of these events, Austin Turner of Discraft gets a signature disc! where was val crying when austin got a signature disc? why isn't val leaving discraft with elaine king!?

blah blah womens rights, sexism, blah blah.
It is not hilarious at all.

Did you even read the article? Elaine clearly explained that the lack of a signature disc was the symptom of lack of recognition. In addition, she explained that it was the fact hat the relationship between Discraft and her has changed since the founders are less involved in the day to day operations. She described the change as going from friendship to business.

You brought up Val Jenkins when she had nothing to do with the article you linked. Did you spew all that nonsense just to denigrate women's rights and sexism? Pretty sad commentary on your perspective.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Still a puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolfy View Post
If I were a pro, I would just be grateful to have someone sponsoring me. IMO it sounds like they're acting a little spoiled.
Disregard what I said, I didn't understand when I read this post.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 66
Niced 457 Times in 119 Posts

I like these threads. They allow the troglodytes to out themselves publicly.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Still a puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I like these threads. They allow the troglodytes to out themselves publicly.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,053 Times in 876 Posts

Val's issue WAS because she was a woman (she was denied equal treatment to the male World Champs on Innova's roster). So is Elaine's, at least in part. She just chose not to make it a gender issue in her statements. Her prerogative, of course, but that doesn't mean gender wasn't a factor somewhere along the way.

She's been with Discraft forever and won FIVE World titles with their plastic but for whatever reason never met Discraft's criteria for getting a signature disc. That's fine. I imagine the straw that broke her back was Val signing with Discraft and immediately getting a tour series signature disc. And then Discraft gave Tour Series discs to Austin Turner, Michael Jo, and Tim Barham too. None of them have won World Championships throwing Discraft discs. Seems like a bit of disrespect that a World champ, male or female, on the team wouldn't get something as well.

And it's not even the first time Discraft's overlooked her. Back in 2000, Discraft put out a limited set of signature discs honoring three of their players: Ron Russell (1999 World Champ), Scott Stokely (distance world record holder) and Juliana Korver (3X, at the time, Women's World Champ). Conspicuously absent from the set was 5X World Champ Elaine King.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 64
Niced 96 Times in 49 Posts

Elaine's name carries much more recognition to me than Tim Barham. No offense to Tim but I couldn't pick him out of a line up, while I would know who Elaine is the second I saw her. It may be my regional bias as I play mostly in western NY (Her old touring area before she moved south) and North Carolina where she is very well known, between her number of world titles and the positive role modeling she constantly displays I would think her name on a disc would be marketable. I just don't see her as any less regionally relevant then Tim B. who has his own Cranks. What has Tim B won that is on the same level as multiple FPO titles? (really don't know if someone can enlighten, and again no offense Tim if you read this)