Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 130 Times in 98 Posts

Tweaking the lineup a bit. More Rocs back in the bag, and switched to Valkyries for turnovers and working flex lines, etc. The clutch is in the putter slot right now, but supported with a cryztal challenger for hyzer approaches.

Distance:
175 Pro Boss
175 Star Boss

Fairway:
175 Star Valk
171 Star Valk
171 Z Predator, flat top freaky overstable
174 Z Predator, overstable workhorse. had this one in my bag for almost 4 years, still beefy.
175 Star Teebird
171 Star Teebird
175 DX Teebird

Midrange:
176 KC Roc, new
180 DX Glow Rancho Roc, new - monster mando stamp, looks awesome glowing
175 DX Rancho Roc, worn
17? DX Rancho Roc, super beat
177 X Comet, super beat

Putters:
175 Protege Clutch (x2)
174 Cryztal Challenger

I mainly took the OLFs out just because I wasn't using them for anything but turnovers, and the 1.1s are getting pretty scarce at this point. Those were the ones I really liked because they have a bit more high speed turn than the 1.2s (haven't thrown the 1.3s but I think I heard they are out) so they are a bit more workable. Valks are readily available in my area, and are still pretty good at working flex lines and turnovers, hence the change.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Further simplification. Could never get a comfortable, consistent release with the clutch (though the profile felt nice in my hand) so old reliable challengers are back for putting duties.

Distance:
175 Pro Boss, slight wear
175 Pro Boss, new
175 Star Boss, newish
157 Blizzard Boss - haven't quite figured it out yet but it bombs on long controlled hyzers

Fairway:
175 Star Valk
171 Star Valk
171 Z Predator, flat top freaky overstable
174 Z Predator, overstable workhorse. had this one in my bag for almost 4 years, still beefy.
175 Star Teebird
171 Star Teebird
175 DX Teebird

Midrange:
176 KC Roc, new
180 DX Glow Rancho Roc, new
175 DX Rancho Roc, worn

Putters:
173 D Challenger, beat for turning short drives and approaches
174 Cryztal Challenger, hyzer approaches, sidearm putter
174 D Challenger (x2) putting only

6 molds - simplicity should help my consistency since I get to practice putt more often than I get to do field work or play actual rounds.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

Looks good, how come you dropped the comet? do you ever find yourself in need of a mid more overstable than a kc roc? Also how do you like the star teebirds in comparison to a champion plastic. I'm looking to order one, will they beat in to straight quicker?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
Looks good, how come you dropped the comet? do you ever find yourself in need of a mid more overstable than a kc roc? Also how do you like the star teebirds in comparison to a champion plastic. I'm looking to order one, will they beat in to straight quicker?
I just wanted to get back to basics, and Rocs can cover more shots more reliably in different stages of wear. I love the comet, but I'm simplifying for right now.

Never really found the need for something more overstable than a KC Roc. If I can't get it to finish reliably left, then it's probably more in the range I'd use a predator.

Star plastic teebirds beat in faster (but not really fast) and have a slightly less overstable flight path when new compared to the champs. Where most people would throw a champ teebird, I'd be much more likely to throw a predator, or a new star teebird. The grip of the star plastic is pretty nice too.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 25
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I just wanted to get back to basics, and Rocs can cover more shots more reliably in different stages of wear. I love the comet, but I'm simplifying for right now.

Never really found the need for something more overstable than a KC Roc. If I can't get it to finish reliably left, then it's probably more in the range I'd use a predator.

Star plastic teebirds beat in faster (but not really fast) and have a slightly less overstable flight path when new compared to the champs. Where most people would throw a champ teebird, I'd be much more likely to throw a predator, or a new star teebird. The grip of the star plastic is pretty nice too.
Makes sense. Rocs cover a lot of shots. Personally I carry an ESP FLX Drone for headwinds and meathooks. When I power down my Firebird for those meathook, I tend to get a lot of skip (which has it's own advantages) while the Drone comes to a rest much quicker.

Thanks for the info on the Star Teebird, seems like one will be in my future shortly.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Retooling distance drivers since it really felt like I was working too hard to get the right flight out of the Boss. So, back to destroyers, which is what I was throwing before I hurt my back in 2010. Valks were too LSS for a true turnover disc, and I can work most other lines with a pred or teebird anyway. Mamba is in on a test basis. If it doesn't work, I'll probably go back to the TD.

Distance:
175 Champ Glow Destroyer
175 Echo Star Destroyer
172 Pro Destroyer
150 Blizzard Destroyer

Fairway:
171 Champ Mamba
171 Z Predator
174 Z Predator
175 Star Teebird
171 Star Teebird
175 DX Teebird

Midrange:
176 KC Roc, new
180 DX Glow Rancho Roc, new
175 DX Rancho Roc, worn

Putters:
173 D Challenger, beat for turning short drives and approaches
174 Cryztal Challenger, hyzer approaches, sidearm putter
174 D Challenger (x2) putting only

Still sitting at 6 molds. I think that's about the sweet spot for my game. Simpler is better - knowing the discs and trusting my knowledge of them seems to put me into a comfort zone of sorts when I'm playing.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Bag reset time. The super fast stuff just plain doesn't work for me right now. I can still crush destroyers, but lack the consistency to keep them where they need to go. In addition, they really aren't going significantly farther than my teebirds right now, which I'm placing in the 370-400' range consistently.

Drivers
175 Champ Teebird
175 Star Teebird, worn
171 Star Teebird, new
175 DX Teebird, new
175 DX Teebird, beat

171 Z Predator, flat top super overstable
174 Z Predator, overstable workhorse
173 Z Predator, domey, very workable

175 C-TD, worn, works lines and bomb turnovers. going to replace with S-FDs when I get them in.

Midranges
176 KC Pro Roc, newish
180 DX Glow Roc, new
175 DX Roc, worn
17x DX Roc, super beat
174 Z Comet, beat, point and shoot disc

Putters
174 Cryztal Challenger, hyzer approaches and putter drives
175 Protege Clutch, turnover approaches. replacing with a summit when it comes in.
174 D Challenger x2, putting only