Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Time to go Warp Speed

So I have been playing for about 3-4 years, fairly seriously the whole time. I went from minimalist noob (Teebird & Rhyno) to moldy noob (20+ molds) back to a minimalist learners bag (~8 molds.) Now I am less 'moldy' but I'm ready to start moving into warp speed drivers and would like some advice.

Currently I throw a lot of big hyzer flips but have almost no fast discs in my bag that I can release flat/anhyzer without burning into a cut roller. I rely heavily on my Valkyries and a fairly overstable Champ Glo Wraith for big distance shots.

I can throw 350-380' golf lines all day in about any shape. I can get the distance for throws between 380-420'; however, I'm finding I need a lot of ceiling to get that kind of D with most of my plastic. My max D without wind assist is a little over 450', but that is maybe 1 in 10 pulls still just on a big hyzer flip with a Valk or Eagle.

Also I do know I keep my bag a little overstable heavy, but that is mainly because I use a lot of overhand shots (including overhand rollers, potentially the most obnoxious shot in the world.)

Current setup in my Grip bag:

Putters:
Wizard OG SSS @174g
Pro Rhyno @ 175g

Mids:
Z Zone @ 174g
Z Buzz @ 173g
Z Comet @ 180g

Fairway Drivers:
Star Whippet @ 180g
11x Eagle-L @ 167g
CE Eagle-X @ 175g
12x Eagle-X @ 168g
12x Firebird @ 163g
12x Firebird (Flat-top) @ 175g (Overhand Roller)
Champ Glo TL (beat) @173g
Champ Glo TL @ 175g
2x Champ Leo (beat) @ 172g
Champ Glo Leo @ 175g

Distance Drivers:
CE Valkyrie-X @ 171g
4x Valkyrie @ 175g
Champ Valkyrie @ 175g
Champ Glo Wraith @ 173g
Star Max @175g (Overhand/Headwind)
Z Flick @ 148g (Overhand)
Z Flick @ 175g (Overhand)

With that in mind what kind of suggestions do folks have for getting into Warp Speed (or any other bag suggestions/comments?) I've tried a Rampage (2nd run blue) but it was super beefy even for a Rampage, just gave me huge hyzer lines but no turn at all. Champ Glo Destroyer @ 168g; however, it just didn't seem to have much glide after it turned and stood up.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Legacy cannon. It does need some room to work but the combination of high speed turn and heavy fade make it fairly easy to throw. Crazy fast too, gets where its going in a big hurry.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 39
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Pro Destroyer
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Legacy cannon. It does need some room to work but the combination of high speed turn and heavy fade make it fairly easy to throw. Crazy fast too, gets where its going in a big hurry.
Now are there any preferences/nuances to look for in the Cannon's. I.e. certain runs or colors that are bigger bombers?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball4 View Post
Pro Destroyer
I actually do have a stack of these from the first run of Pro that I haven't tossed yet. They are a little domey for my liking, but I think I just need to get over that as it seems a lot of the big D discs have some dome (i.e. Rampage, Destroyer, Boss.)

Now when you go for distance with a Pro Destroyer are you starting them flat, anhyzer, or hyzer flip?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 74
Niced 29 Times in 21 Posts

Try a Sword if you like hyzer-flipping, sweeping turnovers, or straight shots. The Sword sounds like what you're looking for unless you're going to try some Blizzard plastic. That would start getting you big D in a hurry as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 39
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have no where near the distance you have, I use a PD or Wraith for my max D!! But some of the big guns, including Schusterick, use Destroyers as their D driver. He uses star but I've heard pro has a little more glide
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball4 View Post
I have no where near the distance you have, I use a PD or Wraith for my max D!! But some of the big guns, including Schusterick, use Destroyers as their D driver. He uses star but I've heard pro has a little more glide
I definitely don't have any crazy D, but I know I'm not getting everything out of my hit yet either. I'm hoping I can eventually get to the 500' range.

But holy shiat! I watched Schusterick toss a few at the Glass Blown and it is unbelievable the speed and glide he can get out of a disc.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
Try a Sword if you like hyzer-flipping, sweeping turnovers, or straight shots. The Sword sounds like what you're looking for unless you're going to try some Blizzard plastic. That would start getting you big D in a hurry as well.
I haven't even picked up a Sword yet, I've seen some good chatter on the board though. Will definitely try to get my hands on one.

I've thrown about all the Blizzard line, but it just isn't reliable enough for me. I've had some great drives with them, then I've also had some great pulls that got dominated by a slight breeze.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klittle08 View Post
Now are there any preferences/nuances to look for in the Cannon's. I.e. certain runs or colors that are bigger bombers?
I just picked up a purple in icon plastic but its my first experience with legacy. If your looking for something to throw flat or slight anny the pro destroyer might be a little easier as the cannon already has a good amount of high speed turn.
But for straight up max d where you have room side to side and no ceiling the cannon is probably the easiest big d you can get.